Sponsored

The more I see the S650s, the more I know I've had my last Mustang for the foreseeable future

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
i know people give the same bullshit "people always hate the new thing" because people generally always hate the new thing... but this time ford went the opposite direction from what i want.

the S550 2018+ has a sort of elegance to its look. yeah, it looks European. yeah it looks like it could be a cougar. i like it. I think it has a really nice blend of aggressive classiness.

it actually looks beautiful. ford did that. its kind of amazing.
Sponsored

Aks550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ak
Vehicle(s)
2023 s550
Have you guys take a look around stealerships' 2023 model mustang inventories? I am surprised it almost non-existence!

Usually around this part of the year, stealerships usual have quite numbers of current model year mustangs sitting.

Seen like the release of the ugly ducking s650 has driven the sales of s550 up!

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
if I was looking for a new car it would not be a Mustang.
Future will tell for me. That’s why I am trying to stop throwing jokes at the S650. Yet, I am all of a sudden very aware of my very few (manual stick) alternatives:
- VW Golf R
- ACURA INTEGRA Type S
- BMW M2
- BMW M3/M4 (dark hose prices)
and
- FORD Bronco 2.7 V6

The fact that the heavy Bronco and the fugly BMW M cars are on the list tell you how much I am disappointed with the Mustang evolution.
Hoping hard that the S650 next facelift will put another candidate on the list. The 2025 Mustang GTD does look amazing, so there is hope for some course correction.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've come to like it more now that I've seen it in person, but it suffers exceptionally from what I call "base-itis". Ford seemingly intentionally made it so that the cheaper models look just vastly worse than the higher trim ones. I personally hate that practice. With the S550 at least, you really can't tell unless you know what to look for. The biggest crime for me is the single exit exhaust if you don't get active on the GT. The second biggest? The new rear end only looks good to me with a spoiler, so unless it's got performance pack, it looks unfinished. Another issue is that some colors just don't look right, especially when optioned with certain wheel finishes. I like that they added more wheels versus just the three options that existed before, but the designs aren't super flattering for the design of the car.

I know Ford really stunted the designers by forcing them to use the S550 hard points (simply to save money on not having to retool), but the outcome seems to result in a near randomness to the design in certain configurations. The Dark Horse looks great to me, but the base GT reminds me of an Accord or something.

Sponsored

22MAVXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT
Having seen a bunch of S650's in person, even a top of the line fully loaded Dark Horse, I can say that I WON'T be buying one. I don't mind the exterior but I am not in love with it. I hate the touch screens, absolutely hate them. They have no place in a muscle car! Period! If something were to happen to my '22 it will be my last Mustang, unless I can find a nice used GT350. Other than that, it will definitely be something else for me. Ford missed the mark on the new car, that's all I can say. While it may grow on me eventually, I won't ever be able to get over the screens.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
No physical controls = no sale. Hate the screens, not wild about the rest either.

WV millwright

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2018 F 150 2017 Escape
The front is growing on me. It still is not as good looking as my 22. The rear is odd shaped and definitely not to my liking. I have actually went to the dealership and sat in a new Gt premium with the single wrap around screen. It actually looks decent and layout is nice when you are seated in the car. Now I wish they had taken the time to integrate it into the dash better. The screen looks out of place and like a glued on afterthought from the exterior.

I'm still very pleased with my decision to purchase a S550 after seeing the S650. Not saying I will never buy a 650 but it won't be anytime in the foreseeable future.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Future will tell for me. That’s why I am trying to stop throwing jokes at the S650. Yet, I am all of a sudden very aware of my very few (manual stick) alternatives:
- VW Golf R
- ACURA INTEGRA Type S
- BMW M2
- BMW M3/M4 (dark hose prices)
and
- FORD Bronco 2.7 V6

The fact that the heavy Bronco and the fugly BMW M cars are on the list tell you how much I am disappointed with the Mustang evolution.
Hoping hard that the S650 next facelift will put another candidate on the list. The 2025 Mustang GTD does look amazing, so there is hope for some course correction.
You have a couple other manual options too:

CT5-V Blackwing
Civic Type R
Nissan Z

Of those three, I would only consider the Blackwing. Not a fan of the Z at all. The Type R is intriguing but it’s a bit fugly

MrDude_1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP convertible
I just want to point out that the target audience, the general public, cannot tell a 2010 mustang from a 2015 from a 2018 from a 2024.

It still just looks like a mustang to them. One might look newer than the other for some reason, but they wont know why.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I just want to point out that the target audience, the general public, cannot tell a 2010 mustang from a 2015 from a 2018 from a 2024.

It still just looks like a mustang to them. One might look newer than the other for some reason, but they wont know why.
Fair (and accurate) statement

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE

True enough I suppose.
But the general public is mostly buying SUVs so the point is moot.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I'm sure they'll start selling well eventually... To younger drivers and a few of us that will give in to newness, warranties and improved convenience, but for me, this breaks the chain...
Maybe eventually. But not in this economy. Not with these interest rates. Not at those prices.

Ford's going to have to cut prices and offer strong financing incentives.

Last edited:

MrDude_1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP convertible
True enough I suppose.
But the general public is mostly buying SUVs so the point is moot.
The general public is who buys the new mustangs. Repeat buyers are the minority of new mustang buyers.
The majority are not even "car guys" they're just people that want a "cool car" and they happened to walk into a ford dealership. The target audience isnt really on here (unless they're looking to fix a problem they had)

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
At least we have an option if it comes to that, but... My 18 premium, PP1, 6sp vert checks all the boxes for me to keep. Got the looks, performance, handsome dash and it is paid off. Especially so that my car was at least $20k cheaper that a new comparable 24.
Sponsored