The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread

Big John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
My car is still at PPF. Shark fin is removed. It’s still communicating. I now assume it found Wi-Fi.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
My car is still at PPF. Shark fin is removed. It’s still communicating. I now assume it found Wi-Fi.
Thats exactly what happened to me.
There was some nutjob here in this thread who asserted that the car is capable of connecting to secure SSIDs. Those posts were removed because he was being a jackass, but the notion, as improbable as it is, is not impossible.

So out of curiosity, when you pick your car up, pull out your phone and do a site survey and look at all the SSIDs. See if there are any open networks in range of your car. Note if there are any secured networks as well.

Big John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
Thats exactly what happened to me.
There was some nutjob here in this thread who asserted that the car is capable of connecting to secure SSIDs. Those posts were removed because he was being a jackass, but the notion, as improbable as it is, is not impossible.

So out of curiosity, when you pick your car up, pull out your phone and do a site survey and look at all the SSIDs. See if there are any open networks in range of your car. Note if there are any secured networks as well.
Fortunately for me, the PPF shop is less than a mile from my office. The guys in the shop are very cool and don’t mind if I stop in. I’ve been going to check on the car about every other day. I plan to go again on Friday.

The first week it waited in line other than being disassembled. On Tuesday they cleaned her. I believe sometime today they will start polishing and paint correction.

Next time I’m in, I will definitely check for Wi-Fi.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
One thing to note, your phone may not have the ability to pickup all the networks the car can. The antenna in the car is much larger. The data it needs to send out is also much smaller. If Ford all vehicles can passively crack secure SSID's, the NSA/FBI/CIA/DHS will want a word with them. I'm not joking in the least bit. The joke is that they will want the tech for themselves. What is far more likely is that the car is picking up open WiFi signals far weaker than would register even on a normal laptop.
I do believe that depends on the type of encryption and the strength. Again, I did say that the notion was unlikely, but not impossible. Methinks the car is just grabbing open hotspots.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Last edited:

Sponsored

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Since it appears these cars don't all work the same, I'll go patrol around open Wi-Fi spots nearby and see what I can find.

Venomous Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500/2019 F-350 / 2021 Bronco First Edition
On September 4 I toggled all the connectivity items off. Ford pass has been unable to connect or gather any info. I have not removed the fuse yet. Kinda just waiting to see where this goes a little before I go crazy pulling things apart. While shopping for an Explorer ST this past week I did see in the sales brochure that they advertised the Ford branded insurance, it had language about the data collection and listed the insurance company and affiliates that provide this coverage and collect data. It would be my assumption that this would be the agreement Ford has in place for data sharing. I don't recall the carrier name, but for those interested it wouldn’t be too hard to download a couple new car brochures and find it.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
On September 4 I toggled all the connectivity items off. Ford pass has been unable to connect or gather any info. I have not removed the fuse yet. Kinda just waiting to see where this goes a little before I go crazy pulling things apart. While shopping for an Explorer ST this past week I did see in the sales brochure that they advertised the Ford branded insurance, it had language about the data collection and listed the insurance company and affiliates that provide this coverage and collect data. It would be my assumption that this would be the agreement Ford has in place for data sharing. I don't recall the carrier name, but for those interested it wouldn’t be too hard to download a couple new car brochures and find it.
The whole impetus for this was because I and others could not find a way to disable the modem without pulling the fuse - where is this toggle?!

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)

When you disable all the data gathering option in the SYNC menu, you disable FordPass, this makes the FordPass App inoperable giving the appearance of a dead system. This doesn't mean that Ford is still not collecting data.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
The whole impetus for this was because I and others could not find a way to disable the modem without pulling the fuse - where is this toggle?!
Its in the SYNC setup menus. I agree with Earl, just because you toggle it off in SYNC, doesn't mean the modem and data collection is still active. I agree with him, all the toggles are probably just associated with the FordPass account.

Sponsored

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Ah, I see. There's absolutely 0% chance that disabling FordPass disables the data collection.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I was being my usual self (asshole) when I first dropped in here with my foil wrapped car and foil hats, but it might actually be applicable. Has anyone considered identifying where the WiFi is located, and Faraday caging it? No need to pull fuses, mess with antennae, or screw around with firmware. Just make sure no signal can send out, and the system will think it's in the boonies.
I believe the wifi antenna/transmitter has been located. It is behind the center console by your big display. My car is still in the shop and I cant mess around with it until I get it back. Besides, I don't want to spend over $400 for an RF meter that I will only use once. So, I don't know until I do a little digging.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Let me get my car back and I'll go from there.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I was being my usual self (asshole) when I first dropped in here with my foil wrapped car and foil hats, but it might actually be applicable. Has anyone considered identifying where the WiFi is located, and Faraday caging it? No need to pull fuses, mess with antennae, or screw around with firmware. Just make sure no signal can send out, and the system will think it's in the boonies.
The 4G and Wi-Fi are two different communication methods, and while the antenna locations vary between model, they've been located. As for the 4G, by far the simplest method is pulling the fuse to the modem as it is the only thing on that circuit, no need to mess with Faraday cloth.

The Wi-Fi antenna on my car is almost certainly right where the USB port underneath the start/stop button is, according to the RF meter. I don't feel like pulling the dash apart to identify and photograph it though... does anyone know if it's simple to get behind that USB port to have a look? That would probably be a good candidate for Faraday cloth.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
This car has antennas all over it.

TCU Antenna
The TCU antenna is used to boost reception for incoming and outgoing cellular network data. It is a compact, cellular phone type, planar inverted-F antenna.

Audio-SYNC System Main Components - Coupe.pdf
Sponsored

Attachments