Texas speed headers rubbing/getting dented by other part

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Headers are hit and miss due to tolerance stack in the building of the car and the building of the headers.

Easiest thing to do is shove your engine to the drivers side and be done with it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mak3fit

Mak3fit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2021
I understand. There are really three options for you to get the desired results that you’re looking for.

Option #1 (the expensive route) - The head man in charge at Ultimate is Jim Brown. You could call and speak with him directly and explain that you talked to the guy named Adrian regarding a set of headers that he bought through Summit Racing in 2020 that didn’t fit properly and they (Ultimate) had to remake the headers for him. Let him know that you wanted to confirm that any fitment issues have been worked out before you order.

Option #2 - Pull the passenger side header, cut the damaged section out, buy a piece of 309 stainless steel tubing of the same wall thickness (you can probably call Texas Speed and purchase a section of the exact tubing used to make the headers), heat it up red hot and dimple it in a vice using aluminum angle iron in the jaws of the vice to avoid any marring. Cut the excess material off of both sides and have a really experienced Tig welder weld that section back in and it will look intentionally done with quality results. You can probably get this done for a few hundred dollars.

Note: If shop that installed them caused the damage to the header, they should be willing to cover the labor to remove and reinstall the header at no Cost to you.

Option #3 - See if Texas Speed is willing to make the repair for you. If so, have the install shop pull the header, send it to Texas Speed and explain to them that you’d like the damaged section clearanced the length of the AC line and send it back to you. This should still fall within that $200-$300 price range (if that). Take the newly repaired and clearanced header back to the installer to put back on the car on their dime.

Lastly, I know this sucks and I’m speaking from experience, in having to work through my issue with Ultimate Headers, but the extra delay will be well worth it in the end once the issues are sorted out and it will be aesthetically pleasing.
1. called texas speed, they said no and that all of their headers are perfectly manufactured 100% the same fit and didn’t want to ship me out a new one or have me send them mine for repair. Guy was being quite an ass on the call lol.

2.so just contacted my local shop and sometime next week we will try the motor mounts and see if that fixes the issue and creates enough clearance so hopefully that works out

if not i will prob just order a set of ultimate headers or kooks and just dish out the extra money for the good fitment.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
1. called texas speed, they said no and that all of their headers are perfectly manufactured 100% the same fit and didn’t want to ship me out a new one or have me send them mine for repair. Guy was being quite an ass on the call lol.

2.so just contacted my local shop and sometime next week we will try the motor mounts and see if that fixes the issue and creates enough clearance so hopefully that works out

if not i will prob just order a set of ultimate headers or kooks and just dish out the extra money for the good fitment.
Oh ok. Is the shop going to install the mounts for free? If so, that’s a stand up thing to do. Many places nowadays are quick to leave the customer high and dry once they get your money. Please keep us posted on this.

OP
OP
Mak3fit

Mak3fit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2021
Ah no not getting the new mounts sorry I meant we are gonna try loosening the stock mounts and shifting the engine a little to the drivers side and then tightening them. If this doesn’t work tho I will probably get new mounts along with my ultimate or kooks headers

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Just be aware that sometimes Kooks and every other header will have fitment issues.

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
My Texas Speed headers are REAL close to both the AC line and frame rail under the car too, but no evidence of touching. Lots of noise, but I attribute that to headers being headers LOL :) the car is so much louder overall now anyway :)

OP
OP
Mak3fit

Mak3fit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2021
Hey guys 2 things , shop gave me an idea since they knew I didn’t really wanna shift the engine mounts ended up fixing the banging with a heavy duty hose clamp put onto the ac line where my zip ties originally more. This is much more tight and also way more durable/adjustable. So no more banging even under load now!

the bad news is that from the very short time I drove with the header hitting the ac line there appears to be a small crack where the dent is on the headers, which I’m afraid will if not already has turned into an exhaust leak, so I’ll have to change out my headers anyways and I’m going to dish out money for the best as I’m planning on keeping this car a long time and boosting it next year or the end of this year!

question is now, I’m torn between ARH and KOOKS high flow cat headers.
Both are basically the same price at $1900
Any inputs?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I think Ford uses ARH on the race cars

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
From what I recall when I was researching headers a year ago, I was seeing Texas Speed headers are cheaper because they’re made in China and I saw many cases of fitment issues with them. Kind of a “you get what you pay for” situation, so I think it’s the right choice for you to just go with something with more reliable fitment. I think you’d be fine with either ARH or Kooks. Personally I went with Kooks because I saw countless people saying the fitment was great, and I didn’t want any issues with that. Super happy with them and would definitely get them again.

OP
OP
Mak3fit

Mak3fit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2021
From what I recall when I was researching headers a year ago, I was seeing Texas Speed headers are cheaper because they’re made in China and I saw many cases of fitment issues with them. Kind of a “you get what you pay for” situation, so I think it’s the right choice for you to just go with something with more reliable fitment. I think you’d be fine with either ARH or Kooks. Personally I went with Kooks because I saw countless people saying the fitment was great, and I didn’t want any issues with that. Super happy with them and would definitely get them again.
Just saw this on kooks description on beefcake website saying can’t use these with boosted applications. I want to run a ess g3 later this year on the car so is this true? And is this the situation with all high flow cats or just kooks, because I don’t see anything about this on ARH headers description. I really don’t wanna have to go catless when I boost.
1EB8C003-1088-45F7-88B5-DB94A5AC589C.png

Sponsored

stangyota

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
had the same issue with the headers touching the ac line, i installed the stainless power headers and moved the engen over to the driver side just to clear about 1/4 of an inch . since driving no issues, also looking into ess g3 with no issues with these LTH

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I loosened my upper motor mount nut on both sides last night and pushed the engine over as hard as I could and re tightened. Drove 250 miles today and much better. About 4-5 mil clearance to the ac block now.

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Just saw this on kooks description on beefcake website saying can’t use these with boosted applications. I want to run a ess g3 later this year on the car so is this true? And is this the situation with all high flow cats or just kooks, because I don’t see anything about this on ARH headers description. I really don’t wanna have to go catless when I boost.
1EB8C003-1088-45F7-88B5-DB94A5AC589C.png
That’s pretty much true for all cats, they just don’t hold up well to boost over time. The green cats are supposed to be better for boost, but I’ve seen those fail on people too. The best is catless for boost, or else you may just have to be willing to spend extra money to replace green cats with new ones down the line if they fail. Also fyi on Kooks fitment, I don’t recall seeing any stories of people needing to dent the tubes for clearance. They really are known to have great fitment.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
called texas speed, they said no and that all of their headers are perfectly manufactured 100% the same fit
Designed for the 15-17. NOT for the 18+ with that funky A/C line placement.
Sponsored