Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
So those that have it functioning properly. How does it behave on startup? Default north, or default actual direction? I'm trying everything, removed magnet, un-coiled wire completely. Still no consistent behavior. I've had it mounted to the factory bracket from day 1 so I know that's not the problem. I see [MENTION=25607]Spart[/MENTION] posted a while ago about GPS mount location but didn't see any results posted. I will try 7D0-03-01 xXxx (currently have 0=roof mount, will try 1= IP mount etc) from the F150 spread sheet.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Changing the mount position does nothing if you aren’t using the antenna that Ford intended. Here’s the issue; until this swap became popular the suggestion as to which components to purchase was vague. There were never a large enough group of people having issues that it was discussed. Why aren’t all of the base to MFT people talking about this? That’s why I purchased the Amazon antenna.

NHMustang

Live Free and Drive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So those that have it functioning properly. How does it behave on startup? Default north, or default actual direction? I'm trying everything, removed magnet, un-coiled wire completely. Still no consistent behavior. I've had it mounted to the factory bracket from day 1 so I know that's not the problem. I see [MENTION=25607]Spart[/MENTION] posted a while ago about GPS mount location but didn't see any results posted. I will try 7D0-03-01 xXxx (currently have 0=roof mount, will try 1= IP mount etc) from the F150 spread sheet.
Actual direction, which is west if I pull in , East if I back in. :)

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Thanks, as I said my car always defaults north, then after a short time settles in. Not sure if that detail helps us find a solution but its an obvious difference.

Looking at some install videos also. I have seen 4Dtech install the gps with the wire facing the hood. And OEM Jesse install it with 2 sided tape(no metal) next to the factory module.

Last edited:

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Looking at some install videos also. I have seen 4Dtech install the gps with the wire facing the hood. And OEM Jesse install it with 2 sided tape(no metal) next to the factory module.
Mine is mounted with double sided tape next to the factory module, which I left in place.

The person I bought my APIM from on eBay actually included the antenna for me, so I have no clue where it was sourced from.

Sponsored

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Mine is mounted with double sided tape next to the factory module, which I left in place.

The person I bought my APIM from on eBay actually included the antenna for me, so I have no clue where it was sourced from.
Hmmm I thought it was agreed upon that the factory GPS was to be removed? I used a harness supplied by Hextall so keeping the old module in place is not an option anyway. I am using the GPS antenna attached to the OP.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Hmmm I thought it was agreed upon that the factory GPS was to be removed? I used a harness supplied by Hextall so keeping the old module in place is not an option anyway. I am using the GPS antenna attached to the OP.
Unplugged, yes. But my GPSM is still in the car.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
But this counters the belief that it needs to be mounted to metal?

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
But this counters the belief that it needs to be mounted to metal?
Well, maybe. There are so many different manufacturers that I wouldn't say my experience is conclusive at all. I don't even know what antenna I have!

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
My antenna had the issues that the Amazon antennas are having. I contacted Racelogic and they sent me this:

Racelogic said:
Placement of the GPS antenna is crucial to the quality of the data recorded. Any metal close to a GPS antenna can disturb the signal in an unpredictable way due to interference from reflections of weak GPS signals.

For the best results, use the antenna in the centre of a metal roof away from any roof bars or radio antennas. Do not mount the antenna close to the edge of the roof as reflections from the ground may interfere with the signals. Avoid the edges as reflections from the A-pillars will cause problems.

Mount the antenna as high up as possible and keep above any roll bars. Pieces of metal close to and above an antenna will badly disrupt the GPS signal.

Note for non-magnetic surfaces: You can use fabric tape to secure the antenna, as long as it is not metallic. Non-metallic tapes placed over the top of the antenna will not cause any issues at all. We would recommend that any adhesive tape is placed over the top of the antenna and not underneath, to ensure a good contact with the flat aluminium surface.

If the vehicle being used does not have a metal roof, then place the GPS antenna on a flat piece of metal at least 10cm in diameter. If this is not possible, copper or aluminium foil can be used to create a shaped ground plane underneath the antenna. For example, on a fibreglass roof, mount the antenna on top of the roof, and place some adhesive backed metal foil underneath, on the inside of the roof.
Ford mounted the factory GPSM on that metal plate in that exact location for a reason.

Sponsored
OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I found a cheap antenna from a 2016 convertible. I'm going to test that too. If anyone else wants to do the same with your Amazon antenna go into diagnostic mode on the APIM and you should see the GPS satellite diagnostics.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Found it in diagnostics mode. Most of my numbers range between mid 40 to 30. Not sure what that means but thats with it mounted at factory location (no metal plate). Reading proper direction for now.

After reading Hextalls post about where and how to mount. I tried no metal base. Two sided tape on top and mounted to the cover where the factory module was located. Worked like a champ. Also moved the Sat antenna further away. Not sure it that matters but this is what seems to work for me.

Last edited:

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Heres one... I just downloaded the update to 3.0 from ford for my truck.

Unzipped the files to a USB stick and updated, works great
Did that on two more sticks as virgin installs for my MFT to SYNC 3 swaps (All have NAV)
The truck worked fine
Both of the upgraded systems lost navigation!

Any ideaS?

NHMustang

Live Free and Drive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Heres one... I just downloaded the update to 3.0 from ford for my truck.

Unzipped the files to a USB stick and updated, works great
Did that on two more sticks as virgin installs for my MFT to SYNC 3 swaps (All have NAV)
The truck worked fine
Both of the upgraded systems lost navigation!

Any ideaS?
Are they all using the same downloaded code and does the truck have nav also or are they all individual downloads?

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
All have Nav, all using the same download zip file.

Another re-start to restore the APIM to a backup I have from last changes and before I could do it, its working perfectly.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.