SYNC 3 swap, It's all in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
If I were to buy an APIM and screen from an Escape and with sync 3 1.0. do I need to be aware of anything? Programming and install wise?

I have MFT 2 so I should be able to use my brackets for this one correct?
Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
If I were to buy an APIM and screen from an Escape and with sync 3 1.0. do I need to be aware of anything? Programming and install wise?
You'd need to get setup with FORScan so you can program the as-built from a Mustang, Escapes have the same hardware but different as-built. You can find as-built that matches your car's options here: http://media.4rev4.com/s550-as-built-library/

You'll want to replace the media hub in your console with a Sync 3 hub, which requires an adapter. [MENTION=28081]HextallS550[/MENTION] makes them I think, or you could pay a bit more for a 4D Tech adapter.

You mention 1.0, any Sync 3 unit can be upgraded to 3.0.

I have MFT 2 so I should be able to use my brackets for this one correct?
Yes.

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
You'd need to get setup with FORScan so you can program the as-built from a Mustang, Escapes have the same hardware but different as-built. You can find as-built that matches your car's options here: http://media.4rev4.com/s550-as-built-library/

You'll want to replace the media hub in your console with a Sync 3 hub, which requires an adapter. [MENTION=28081]HextallS550[/MENTION] makes them I think, or you could pay a bit more for a 4D Tech adapter.

You mention 1.0, any Sync 3 unit can be upgraded to 3.0.

Yes.
Got all the stuff I need except the screen and apim. My only concern is that even after updating everything in forscan will I have any issues? Or is it pretty straightforward as long as I load an asbuilt that matches my 15 premium eco?

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Got all the stuff I need except the screen and apim. My only concern is that even after updating everything in forscan will I have any issues? Or is it pretty straightforward as long as I load an asbuilt that matches my 15 premium eco?
It's straightforward if you're already familiar with editing the hexadecimal module addresses in FORScan. You'll have to use As-Built Compare to read the AB files and copy the values to the correct addresses in the APIM (the 7D0-XX-XX addresses only.)

You don't want to load a whole as-built, since it would overwrite all of the modules in your car, not just the APIM.

Also, it will probably plug in and seem to mostly work, just some stuff may be goofy.

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic, 2011 Nissan quest
[MENTION=31393]articrandom[/MENTION]
I was in the same position as you were. So far as I know, the 8" touch screen from the ford c-max, Escape and Focus will work on the mustang.

Basically, when you connect the screen it will work and function but as [MENTION=25607]Spart[/MENTION] says some function will act goofy. For example the volume will work but you won't see the animation that comes up when you raise it up or down.
So first, you backup the APIM file from the one you are using in case you need to reset. Then find the apim data from the asbuilt you are going to use and that should be the only thing you use unless you need to adjust other areas of the car. Once you upload it and it reboots everything will work, just backup that apim file in case you need to make further changes.

I asked a lot of questions and Hextalls550 was very helpful as he really went out of his way to answer any questions I had. This thread also has a lot of useful data and post from other members and they are very willing to help out when needed. Also, NHMustang went as far as to tough it out in his cold garage and make a video showing how he loads up the data and saves it. Very helpful chap!

One important thing everyone said is that once you get into forscan it becomes easy and it was.
Just mess with the APIM module only and always backup and you will be fine.

When you see somethign like this
7A7-01-02 xxxX xxxx xxxx 0=No Heated Steering Wheel
The Upper case X is the only value in that line that needs to be changed. Everything else remains the same.

With respects to Sync upgrade. Just add the VIN from a premium Mustang into your account at owner.ford.com and it will give you the upgrade to download. You can report back with the .xml file after making a few changes to it.
The file after the upgrade will have your car's vin number as the name of the file. Just change that to the vin you are using for the upgrade. Then open the file with something like Notepad and find any instances of your vin and replace it with the vin you are doing the upgrade with and upload that to ford. Once this is done it will check to see if there are any other updates and if there are it will prompt you to upgrade to that newer file.
Then you are set.

This is pretty easy now that I have done it but trust me, it wasn't before I started this process.

Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
This is pretty easy now that I have done it but trust me, it wasn't before I started this process.
Something I think you should do before the actual swap is change a minor feature on your car.

Like disable the double honk, or set it to require two presses of the panic button on the fob. That sort of thing. And don't use the canned options to do it in FORScan if there are any because that won't help you for a swap, make sure you're editing the addresses in hex directly.

That will get you comfortable with the setup so you've got one less thing to worry about before you start tearing out your center console/stack.

Reactions: MAV
OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
If anyone doing the swap needs a Sirius (Non-HD) ACM. I have one with antenna. I’m working on harnesses all week, I’m behind because of work but I’m getting caught up.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
If you're doing Sync 3 you want to use a 16-17 premium EB car with the same options as your car.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
If you're doing Sync 3 you want to use a 16-17 premium EB car with the same options as your car.
Actually EB shouldn't matter much in the APIM as-built. So if you can find a GT that otherwise matches your options, that will work also.

If you can't find an as-built file that matches your car's options, check out this post which details how options affect the APIM as-built.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Yes it does. The FCIM issue is a perfect illustration that the way these modules interact is more in depth than commonly thought. The issue with the DADC being present in EB cars matters as well depending on what he is doing with ACM. My experiments with GT as built data vs EB as built in different cars suggests that there is something in the BCM that the APIM and FCIM (and probably the ACM) use to communicate with other modules and sensors. I think it has everything thing to do with the fake engine noise. When you put down your findings it was before the other 3 versions of the ACM were known. The best bet is to just mimic the 16-17 version of each car. This could probably be boiled down into a simple sheet. But then you’d run into the issues I have where you find certain data has to be written in a certain order or you get strange errors:

2_DAEBFBA_D56_D_4904_A067_F0_AA89756_D0_C.jpg

Engineering mode as an option? Yes, if you try to load different themes after accidentally removing HVAC.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Simplyknown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package
Hey I'll take the old mft media hub from you.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
You're probably sick to death of hearing this question, but can you tell me exactly which codes to change to disable the fake engine noise?
727-01-01 xxxx xXxx xx 0=OFF A=ON
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.