Sponsored

Sync 3 and Android Auto COMPLETE Noob Query!

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
So my 2019 Mustang has the most tech of any car I have previously owned by FAR, and I'm slowly making my way through the owners manual, but I have a basic question(s) which I would like to ask please.

How does Android Auto and Sync 3 work together? Do I use both of them? Sync 3 is the system behind the touchscreen display correct? Is Android Auto related to making phone calls on the Sync 3 system?

I'm a COMPLETE noob, never having used either one before. Just wanting to know what do I use each one for?

Thanks for your patience lol!

FYI my phone is a Samsung Note 9 (Android).

Cheers
Sponsored

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So my 2019 Mustang has the most tech of any car I have previously owned by FAR, and I'm slowly making my way through the owners manual, but I have a basic question(s) which I would like to ask please.

How does Android Auto and Sync 3 work together? Do I use both of them? Sync 3 is the system behind the touchscreen display correct? Is Android Auto related to making phone calls on the Sync 3 system?

I'm a COMPLETE noob, never having used either one before. Just wanting to know what do I use each one for?

Thanks for your patience lol!

FYI my phone is a Samsung Note 9 (Android).

Cheers
Android Auto in essence replaces use of Sync 3. Plug your Samsung via the USB cable and it should just pop up prompts on the screen to accept. Voila, job done, phone calls, texts, whats app, waze, google maps amongst the extra features over and above Sync 3. You can also just flip back to Sync3 (well you can on carplay) to use heated steering wheel, air con and still use music loaded on a USB and the radio features. (again you can on carplay so i assume its the same on android auto)

The Mustang also has Apple CarPlay which i use and IMO it is sooooooo much better than Sync3 which is a little clumsy and has a dated feel about it.

Negatives for me are. Android Auto and Carplay on Sync3 is via USB cable only, not wireless. There is a solution to make carplay wireless not sure about android auto.

As i understand Sync3 Navigation will use an Androids data connection via Bluetooth for live traffic so that may well be enough for some and plugging the phone in for Android Auto is at times a pain. Sync 3 wont use the bluetooth connection on an iPhone for live traffic so for me Carplay is no bigger inconvenience, if you don't get the Cplay2air usb wifi dongle thing which works pretty well for me, plays up 1 in 10 maybe less and an unplug sorts it

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Sync 3 launches Android Auto when you plug your phone in (with a supported USB cable - not all will work). Everything will be through Android Auto instead, but the steering wheel controls still work. When you push the button to trigger voice commands, it brings up Google Assistant instead of Sync.

To access deeper AC settings and things like sound settings or radio channels, you'll have to exit out of Android Auto (hit home, then exit) then can reenter again when you're ready.

I use Android Auto for everything though, Google Maps and Waze, Youtube Music/Spotify, calls, all go through it. It'll show notifications for texts and can read them if you want too.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Can it do voice to text, to reply to text messages while you are driving?
I believe so, I've certainly gotten wonky texts from my friend while he's driving, but I don't really use the voice parts other than changing my destination on maps or calling somebody.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Yes and remember you can say hey google and it will do what you tell it to, be it text, calls, etc

Can it do voice to text, to reply to text messages while you are driving?

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes and remember you can say hey google and it will do what you tell it to, be it text, calls, etc
Good to know. Thanks. Slowly trawling my way through everything. Quite a learning curve ahead lol

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have Sync3 with factory navigation and find no compelling reason to use Android Auto or CarPlay (I have used both in my Mustang). My biggest issue with both are you have to plug your phone into the USB port for them to work, that's a neusense I find aggravating and don't want to deal with. I also find the Android Auto interface to be decidedly low tech looking compared to Sync3.

The factory nav is integrated with SirusXM Travel Link which is just as good as Google for traffic conditions, construction, etc and you get a 5 year subscription with the car. Ford with Alexa applink works wirelessly with your phone and is right on the Sync3 screen. It is not as good as Hey Google but gets the job done and is integrated with the factory nav so if you are looking for something it will transfer directly to the factory nav to get you there.

The factory nav is not as up to date as Google Maps so on those extremely rare occasions the factory nav is missing a street i will use Android Auto and Google Maps.

I live 30 miles south east of Boston Mass and so few people use Waze in this area it is useless for anything but navigation. People rave about it and i keep trying it for a couple of weeks at a time but have never had it warn me of an active speed trap, accident or road hazard.

If you don't have factory nav then Android Auto is the way to go.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I live 30 miles south east of Boston Mass and so few people use Waze in this area it is useless for anything but navigation. People rave about it and i keep trying it for a couple of weeks at a time but have never had it warn me of an active speed trap, accident or road hazard.
Waze in the UK is pretty good for Police, speed cameras, hazards etc, looks like the OP is in Australia though.

Its funny how people's preferences vary so much, personally i find Sync3 awkward to use, buttons everywhere and all over the place and far to many of them, sub menu after sub menu, maybe its because i came from a few BMW's with iDrive which is IMO very good.

Carplay is IMO so much simpler, big clear buttons and i recall AA being similar.

Anyway good to have different opinions.

Multitask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 MKZ Hybrid
AA and Waze (and CarPlay) will mostly work if you have a cable that can charge and do data. If it only does charging , AA and CP will not start.
I use AA for calls, and voice Texting all the time...

From what I have read, when Sync 4 comes out , it will allow for wireless use of AA and CP, but only if you have a vehicle that has the built in modem (and probably a 2019 or at least a 2020 and later)
Sponsored