Sponsored

Strut Tower Brace missing from your engine bay?

MontelG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Does anyone know if the GT Convertibles, without the 20" wheels and without PP, come with the back brace that ties the strut towers to the cowl? I know they come with the easy to see strut tower brace but I can't seem to find out for sure about the back one. Thoughts?

RoadDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I did this today.
~ No need to disconnect the battery cable (just the battery cover, per BmacMI)).
~ No need to screw with the wipers.
~ Remove the plastic cowl clips, per the instructions (don't bother w/the far passenger side clip) and wedge the cowl *up* so you can put a wrench on the bolt(s). Do not remove the cowl completely.
~ Unbolt and toss away the plastic thingy that you will be replacing (recycle!)..
~ Have a beer (Yes, it's early, but it's hot)
~ Replace with heavy-duty Mustang metal

Levittown Ford: $170.00+/- shipped. Packaged nicely - no scratches. NJ to NC in 4 days. Upper *K* brace and strut tower bar + 4 nuts. One hour's worth of work.. Done deal.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Roughly how many pounds do the two components weigh?

RoadDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm just guessing, but the upper *K* brace probably weighs around 5 pounds - it's a seriously massive hunk of steel (3/16" thick).. The strut tower brace - guessimating again, 2-3 pounds...

Sponsored

sloppymax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks to Bryman for the link and others for the info. Installed mine last night and taking my time it only took about 40 minutes to install both pieces. No install issues, underhood looks great now and car feels more confident/solid over rough roads/bumps.

Stefan1235

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I just finished installing my K brace and strut bar, I noticed that my car does not have part number FR3Z-63016A52-A, the bracket mentioned on page 4. I will be ordering it from Tasca as its available on their website. It looks like 3 bolts will be needed to install it.

So if your vehicle didn't come with the performance package or K brace from the factory then I believe you won't have this bracket either.

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang EB Premium
I just finished installing my K brace and strut bar, I noticed that my car does not have part number FR3Z-63016A52-A, the bracket mentioned on page 4. I will be ordering it from Tasca as its available on their website. It looks like 3 bolts will be needed to install it.

So if your vehicle didn't come with the performance package or K brace from the factory then I believe you won't have this bracket either.
That sucks. Mine was just shipped today after a long wait on backorder and I won't be able to install it.

Stefan1235

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That sucks. Mine was just shipped today after a long wait on backorder and I won't be able to install it.

You can install the K brace and strut brace without the black extension, it just adds a little more rigidity.

The only reason I noticed mine didn't have the black extension is because the plastic tabs that hold the plastic cover to the K brace fit tighter on the drivers side of the car, almost like something thin was missing on the passenger side of the K brace. A little more research and I found out that the black extension fits there and would eliminate the fitment issues with the plastic tabs.

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
You can install the K brace and strut brace without the black extension, it just adds a little more rigidity.

The only reason I noticed mine didn't have the black extension is because the plastic tabs that hold the plastic cover to the K brace fit tighter on the drivers side of the car, almost like something thin was missing on the passenger side of the K brace. A little more research and I found out that the black extension fits there and would eliminate the fitment issues with the plastic tabs.
If it adds rigidity then it's worth installing. I'll get mine ordered. Thanks for the part number.

Sponsored

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
If it adds rigidity then it's worth installing. I'll get mine ordered. Thanks for the part number.
I'm just about to order the extension.
Now that you've probably installed it I just want to make sure it's recommended and easy to install

You mention 3 bolts needed. Are they included with the part?

Stefan1235

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm just about to order the extension.
Now that you've probably installed it I just want to make sure it's recommended and easy to install

You mention 3 bolts needed. Are they included with the part?

I have not received my order from Tasca yet. I ordered 1 of part number: FR3Z-63016A52-A (the black cowl extension) and 5 of part number: W717964-S450B (the only bolt listed in the cowl section/diagram on Tasca's website). I believe I only need 3 of the bolts, but I figured it can't hurt to have a couple of spares since they're $0.58 each.

I'll update once I get this brace installed.

Total cost for all of these braces is as follows:

Ford Racing Strut Brace Kit: $180 shipped
-strut tower brace
-K brace
-4 nuts for K-brace and strut tower brace

Lower K-brace and oil pan cover: $100 total shipped (Tasca)
-lower K brace
-oil pan dust cover (fits with lower K brace)
-6 bolts for K brace ($10 shipped from a forum member)

Black cowl extension: $60 shipped (Tasca)
-cowl extension
-3 bolts

So that's $340 total, not a bad price for all these braces.

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
I have not received my order from Tasca yet. I ordered 1 of part number: FR3Z-63016A52-A (the black cowl extension) and 5 of part number: W717964-S450B (the only bolt listed in the cowl section/diagram on Tasca's website). I believe I only need 3 of the bolts, but I figured it can't hurt to have a couple of spares since they're $0.58 each.

I'll update once I get this brace installed.

Total cost for all of these braces is as follows:

Ford Racing Strut Brace Kit: $180 shipped
-strut tower brace
-K brace
-4 nuts for K-brace and strut tower brace

Lower K-brace and oil pan cover: $100 total shipped (Tasca)
-lower K brace
-oil pan dust cover (fits with lower K brace)
-6 bolts for K brace ($10 shipped from a forum member)

Black cowl extension: $60 shipped (Tasca)
-cowl extension
-3 bolts

So that's $340 total, not a bad price for all these braces.
Ok so I need the bolts also. I'll get a few of those added to the order. I'm just getting it through my local dealer.

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
Installed this yesterday. Simple install that too 30-40 minutes without taking the wipers off. Not earth shattering but makes a significant difference... more than I thought it would. Looks good too. Worth every penny.
Sponsored