Sponsored

Stereo Information (Wiring, Upgrades, etc...)

Trude1400

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rene
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 Basic PP US-Version
Normal Power + and - isn't a problem. The wiring fits for it. But to switch on it needs +12V on the cable named ACC on the Headunit. Current over this line is regardless.
For what is 13 and 26 on C2280C used?
Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
From the workshop manual:

13 VLN33 (GY-VT) 22 CTRL MOD. - INTERIOR/COURTESY LAMP DIMMING (THEATRE)
26 CLN31 (VT-GN) 22 CTRL MOD. - PUDDLE LAMP LEFT

You could try fuse 23 though. For 2015-2017 this should be accessory power.

Last edited:

Trude1400

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rene
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 Basic PP US-Version
Hi Cathual,
I have seen you are in Germany and as well using a Mosconi DSP.
Are you as well in the german forum?
I would be interested which setting you have done and how you tested it.
I'm using the PICO DSP 6/8.
Front is 2 way active audio systems HX165 SQ, back the same TMT from the HX165 SQ and as sub Eton RES 10A
BR

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Any idea what the wattage is on the stock base model head unit? It definitely seems to be lacking volume. Not so much with USB, but definitely over bluetooth.

Also, is there any solution for upgrading the dash panel to a Double-DIN, while retaining the use of a USB Stick in the center console to play music files? I was just going to get the kit that crutchfield offers when buying a head unit (Scosche ITCFD05AB) but it lists the USB port as "not supported"

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
It is not necessarily the stock head unit that is holding it back. Look at the speakers and any stock amplifier to fix volume issues.

Any idea what the wattage is on the stock base model head unit? It definitely seems to be lacking volume. Not so much with USB, but definitely over bluetooth.

Also, is there any solution for upgrading the dash panel to a Double-DIN, while retaining the use of a USB Stick in the center console to play music files? I was just going to get the kit that crutchfield offers when buying a head unit (Scosche ITCFD05AB) but it lists the USB port as "not supported"

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
It is not necessarily the stock head unit that is holding it back. Look at the speakers and any stock amplifier to fix volume issues.
Aren't the stock speakers some weird impedance which isn't very compatible with aftermarket equipment? I was under the impression upgrading the speakers would reduce volume. As one of my door speakers is blown, I ordered the Powerbass kit from Crutchfield. Comes with 6.5's already in a stock-like frame, even with the factory connector. They are 60w RMS, and I doubt the factory speakers were anything near that. It also came with silk dome tweeters to replace the ones in the sail panels. Everything plug-and-play.

I was planning to start with just a small sub and amp, using speaker level inputs and the stock head unit. If I can't get it to blend very well due to a lack of controls at the head unit, I was going to install the full dash kit mentioned above with an aftermarket double-din head unit. FWIW, the base system in 2016 has no amps. All power comes from the head unit.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I don't know anything about the 2016 system or the ohms it may have. Upgrading the speakers AND adding an amp would take of the problem. There are a many ways to upgrade with keeping the stock head unit or replacing it. I've found that upgrading the headunit and then getting the kit that allow for HVAC and other things tend to be pretty costly when I did that in other cars. If you are fine with the stock head unit but want more sound, then the speaker plus add on amp should be doable.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
@DeepImpactS550 you may want to go the Sync 3 upgrade. Talk to @HextallS550 about it..he has everything you need and it's all genuine Ford parts...also., see my sig for what I have.

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I don't know anything about the 2016 system or the ohms it may have. Upgrading the speakers AND adding an amp would take of the problem. There are a many ways to upgrade with keeping the stock head unit or replacing it. I've found that upgrading the headunit and then getting the kit that allow for HVAC and other things tend to be pretty costly when I did that in other cars. If you are fine with the stock head unit but want more sound, then the speaker plus add on amp should be doable.
You are correct there. It's about $530 for the dash kit with LCD climate controls and a decent mid level double-din head unit. If I didn't upgrade the stock head unit with an amp, I'd still be limited to the 20 or so watts (x4) the aftermarket head unit would supply, although I doubt the stock head unit even supplies that much. I really don't like that tiny 4" screen, but it is usable if I could get about 20-30% more volume out of it. I would actually prefer keeping manual climate controls, especially with the random issues I've heard about with these kits. Is adding an full range amp to the stock head unit a matter of mounting a small amp behind the dash, or would new speaker wires, power/ground need to be run to to a second amp in the trunk?

I had planned to stay pretty basic, just a single 400W Infinity Kappa 8" in a very nice slot ported box tuned to 34hz on an old mono block amp i had laying around. But now, I've found myself getting the upgrade bug.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I would never ever get a Metra or Scosche kit again. If you already have an 8 inch screen in your Mustang, go for the idatalink Maestro RR + Maestro MFT kit and a compatible double DIN unit.
This way you keep your stock HVAC controls and your stock trim panel.
But make sure you get a short chassis radio.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The stock speakers are 4 ohms but if you have the 3.5s and tweeters they are wired in parallel to 2 ohms.

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I would never ever get a Metra or Scosche kit again. If you already have an 8 inch screen in your Mustang, go for the idatalink Maestro RR + Maestro MFT kit and a compatible double DIN unit.
This way you keep your stock HVAC controls and your stock trim panel.
But make sure you get a short chassis radio.
Unfortunately I have a v6 with 4" display base system. That's why the dash kit is needed to replace button-city around the screen. Would I need a short chassis radio, either way? A multimedia unit rather than one with a cd/dvd player would be required? The scosche setup eliminates the need for the sync module which I thought would free up a bit of space behind the dash.

Last edited:

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
The stock speakers are 4 ohms but if you have the 3.5s and tweeters they are wired in parallel to 2 ohms.
It's the base 6-speaker system. 2-way components in the doors and sail panels, and 6.5 (dual cone?) rear deck speakers. 4ohms will sure make things easier, but I'd bet the RMS wattage on the head unit is possibly in the single digits.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
With both the Scosche and the Metra kit a normal length radio is no problem.
Sponsored