Sponsored

Stereo Information (Wiring, Upgrades, etc...)

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
What if your choice was a 2015 401a or a 2016 400a for about the same price? I know the 16's have a better sync system.
I like the sync in my '16 a lot. I think your purchase should be based on the other vehicle options and not whether it has the shaker sub... so if the '15 & '16 are otherwise close in options, I'd get the '16 and add a sub later...
Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
My bad, I was asking if the factory amp in the mustang shaker with the subwoofer already have the wires needed for a direct amp upgrade or if I needed to purchase a amp kit for my Rockford pbrt 300 4 channel amp
If you're asking about power wiring, the factory amp is low power with smaller gauge wiring while the Rockford will need a larger gauge power wire to handle the amps it will draw.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I like the sync in my '16 a lot. I think your purchase should be based on the other vehicle options and not whether it has the shaker sub... so if the '15 & '16 are otherwise close in options, I'd get the '16 and add a sub later...
The cars I'm considering right now are fairly close in price and options. The main differences are color, wheels and 400 or 401a. The closest and most optioned car is the 15 guard with 19" wheels and 401a, but its almost 2 years old and has been test driven a lot. The other two guards are 16's with 400a and foundry wheels (one has 3.55 gears). Then there is a silver 400a with 19" wheels and I just found an orange 401a with ceramic interior, foundry wheels and a couple other options. This one is the most off MSRP, but not sure how much I like the color as I haven't seen one in person yet. There is also a ruby red 401a further away, but they haven't sent me their sale price yet. IDK, I'm still kind of looking for a race red or possibly a lightning blue with ceramic interior, but looks like I'll have to be patient to find the latter at a decent price as they haven't discounted the 17's much yet.

watercooled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I recently Replaced all of the Speakers added an infinity Bass link and Replaced the factory amp.In my 16 Ecoboost Premium 200A, I took some pictures of the various parts and thought someone might find them helpful.
Installed equipment.
Front
3.5 JBL 329
6.5 and A pillar JBL 609C
Rear Deck JBL 638
Amp Fosgate PBR300X4
Sub Infinity Bass Link.

Total cost $598.26
Very worth it!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0xb8cxzilvp3n9f/AAAzTWwM0mJFGeWWbM-BI3HMa?dl=0
Thank you thank you thank you for posting the pics of the back of the speakers!

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
So, I have a base model radio.

Anyone know the Molex connector that will connect to the factory harness for the ACM? The one that has all the speaker wires in it?

Sponsored

whokilledkaji

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
I've been reading through this thread and forum for more than a month now, but man... I'm totally new to car audio and could really use some advice.

First, I'm from the States, but I live in Japan. I have a Euro spec ecoboost here with the 9 speaker shaker and I want better sound. I listen to all sorts of music, but mostly rock, techno and occasionally rap.

I don't really want to break the bank, but I'm willing to spend some money on this... I'm looking for a system that'll sound great and have good cost performance as well.

I know a good installer in Nagoya, but I'm hoping to get the parts shipped in from America. Everything costs way more here.

I imagine that some users on this forum dislike when people like me vaguely ask for a list of parts/speakers to get and how to hook them up properly, but I'm pretty frustrated... I actually feel bad for asking, but at this point I don't know what else to do. With that said, can anybody share some example shopping lists or offer any advice?

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
There's nothing specific we could offer based on your request but what are you trying to achieve? Best thing is do what I did, read the whole thread and see what others chose and see what fits your budget with shipping to Japan. You got the upgraded stereo, maybe just a sub to start? That's what I am doing for now. It's not wasted money, most of it could be incorporated into a full install later. But shipping heavy items will make the cost savings not worth it. Here we have zenclosures which makes great sub boxes for great prices but shipping cost would be huge! You're gonna have to find locals and get involved to see what they are doing to save money. This can be hard as an American in Japan. Unless you have Japanese friends you're going to be seen as an outsider, it's just the way it is from what I read. See if you can join a club, again probably impossible, but on your own, it's gonna be tough there. Do you at least speak the language? I could not live anywhere and not want to speak the language. I spent a week in Italy once and spoke a tiny bit by the time I left, but Italian is FAR EASIER to learn than Japanese, especially since I learned a little Spanish earlier.

Aus550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW-E60-M5 Ford-XR6-Turbo-Ute RR-550 ordered
I've just fitted all Focal gear to my 2016. I wired RCA's from the front to my amps whilst I waited for the AudioControl Matrix Plus to arrive. The signal sucked, had mild hiss with volume at zero. At full volume, the system wasn't that loud. Have just installed the audio control under the passenger seat, the hiss is gone, and it now cranks like it should.

When I was buying it I wasn't sure if it was going to fix my problems, but the difference is night and day.

whokilledkaji

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
There's nothing specific we could offer based on your request but what are you trying to achieve? Best thing is do what I did, read the whole thread and see what others chose and see what fits your budget with shipping to Japan. You got the upgraded stereo, maybe just a sub to start? That's what I am doing for now. It's not wasted money, most of it could be incorporated into a full install later. But shipping heavy items will make the cost savings not worth it. Here we have zenclosures which makes great sub boxes for great prices but shipping cost would be huge! You're gonna have to find locals and get involved to see what they are doing to save money. This can be hard as an American in Japan. Unless you have Japanese friends you're going to be seen as an outsider, it's just the way it is from what I read. See if you can join a club, again probably impossible, but on your own, it's gonna be tough there. Do you at least speak the language? I could not live anywhere and not want to speak the language. I spent a week in Italy once and spoke a tiny bit by the time I left, but Italian is FAR EASIER to learn than Japanese, especially since I learned a little Spanish earlier.
Thanks for the advice!
Actually yes, I do speak the language. I went back to America for two years after my dad passed away, but I lived in Japan for 12 years prior to that. I moved back in March.

I have a lot of friends who own American cars, but there aren't many 2015 Mustangs here. I don't know anybody who has one...

The installer I know is actually a customer of mine (not for audio though) and I've known them for almost 10 years now. It's a really professional shop. In the past they seemed a little hesitant to work on Mustangs since they weren't very familiar with them, but I saw them at an event on Sunday and they said I should bring the car in.

I'm hoping to get two quotes from them. One for an install with parts from
America and one with parts sourced here. I'm not worried about shipping because I import stuff all the time for my company. I just want to get what I need all in one shot.

What I want is a great sounding system that can handle a wide variety of music. I'm not really sure how else to explain it. Clear sound with good bass.

I'm guessing I'll need tweeters, door speakers, deck speakers, subwoofer and amp(s)? Not sure what else... Crossovers, maybe? Installation kits? Deadening material? Speaker surrounds? Do people replace the a-pillar tweeters too?

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
From what I've read in this thread and a few others, I plan on getting a DSP box to clean up the factory head unit outputs before sending them to the amps and speakers. Something like a JL Audio FiX 82 (their CleanSweep replacement). In the 9-speaker system, supposedly the various speakers have different impedances, crossover frequencies, and whatnot.

Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
What I want is a great sounding system that can handle a wide variety of music. I'm not really sure how else to explain it. Clear sound with good bass.

I'm guessing I'll need tweeters, door speakers, deck speakers, subwoofer and amp(s)? Not sure what else... Crossovers, maybe? Installation kits? Deadening material? Speaker surrounds? Do people replace the a-pillar tweeters too?
I would start out by deciding what your max budget is and then pick equipment that fits that budget.

The equipment list above pretty much covers what you'll need. If you want to really liven up your system, you'll want to replace all the front door speakers and the a-pillar tweeters... you can always skip replacing the center channel / rear speakers and just drive them from the factory head unit since they are generally considered ambience speakers.

To drive everything, you'll want a multi-channel amp... say a 5 channel using 2 channels for the 6.5's in the lower doors, 2 channels for the 3.5's in the upper doors and the tweeters, and the 5th channel for a sub. You'll also want an active crossover between the head unit and the new amp to properly split up the signal.

In my opinion, speakers affect the sound more than the other components, so you're always better off if you can listen to them rather than just ordering something based on others opinions.

Finally, since you seem like someone willing to put some effort in to their system, I'd recommend checking out the site below for some really good information. *** WARNING *** Once you visit that site, your budget automatically quadruples! :D Its sort of like modding your Mustang... never quite done.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/

whokilledkaji

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
I would start out by deciding what your max budget is and then pick equipment that fits that budget.

The equipment list above pretty much covers what you'll need. If you want to really liven up your system, you'll want to replace all the front door speakers and the a-pillar tweeters... you can always skip replacing the center channel / rear speakers and just drive them from the factory head unit since they are generally considered ambience speakers.

To drive everything, you'll want a multi-channel amp... say a 5 channel using 2 channels for the 6.5's in the lower doors, 2 channels for the 3.5's in the upper doors and the tweeters, and the 5th channel for a sub. You'll also want an active crossover between the head unit and the new amp to properly split up the signal.

In my opinion, speakers affect the sound more than the other components, so you're always better off if you can listen to them rather than just ordering something based on others opinions.

Finally, since you seem like someone willing to put some effort in to their system, I'd recommend checking out the site below for some really good information. *** WARNING *** Once you visit that site, your budget automatically quadruples! :D Its sort of like modding your Mustang... never quite done.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/
Thanks a lot!!! I'll check that site today!!!
I really appreciate the advice!

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
I've just fitted all Focal gear to my 2016. I wired RCA's from the front to my amps whilst I waited for the AudioControl Matrix Plus to arrive. The signal sucked, had mild hiss with volume at zero. At full volume, the system wasn't that loud. Have just installed the audio control under the passenger seat, the hiss is gone, and it now cranks like it should.

When I was buying it I wasn't sure if it was going to fix my problems, but the difference is night and day.
Do you have a build thread for this? I really like the focal brand and would love to see what you have done so far. Thanks

Aus550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW-E60-M5 Ford-XR6-Turbo-Ute RR-550 ordered
Do you have a build thread for this? I really like the focal brand and would love to see what you have done so far. Thanks
I don't sorry, however I did take a handful of progress shots.

MDF Door pod
Door%20Baffle_zpshna7y8gw.jpg

K2 tweeter, just absolutely made to fit! Fits into existing clips if you push hard enough.
A%20Pillar_zpsy3kssccm.jpg

Boot layout coming together
Wheel%20Well_zpsmvhh5t1o.jpg

Finished door
Finished%20Door_zpsudjhcera.jpg

Boot (still needing a vacuum)
Boot_zpsm5j4hbco.jpg

Inside (still need to tidy up 12V remote wire down the side there)
Inside_zpsy3qi1nlq.jpg

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
I don't sorry, however I did take a handful of progress shots.

MDF Door pod
Door%20Baffle_zpshna7y8gw.jpg

K2 tweeter, just absolutely made to fit! Fits into existing clips if you push hard enough.
A%20Pillar_zpsy3kssccm.jpg

Boot layout coming together
Wheel%20Well_zpsmvhh5t1o.jpg

Finished door
Finished%20Door_zpsudjhcera.jpg

Boot (still needing a vacuum)
Boot_zpsm5j4hbco.jpg

Inside (still need to tidy up 12V remote wire down the side there)
Inside_zpsy3qi1nlq.jpg
What 3 ways did you run up front? Crutchfield only list a couple that will fit?!? Is that why you added the mdf pod?Thanks for the info
Sponsored