Steering locked up...

Mutang95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have a 2015 mustang gt steering is completely locked can not turn at all... Is this a bad steering rack or anyone have any ideas?? Ran codes and invalid signal from PSCM module a and a couple others... Thanks
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
When my daughters Focus did that it was the electric motor on the rack&pinion. The entire rack&pinion had to be replaced. It was an expensive part, $700 ish if I remember, and the front subframe had to be removed to replace it. Took my son and I most of a Saturday to do.

OP
OP

Mutang95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
When my daughters Focus did that it was the electric motor on the rack&pinion. The entire rack&pinion had to be replaced. It was an expensive part, $700 ish if I remember, and the front subframe had to be removed to replace it. Took my son and I most of a Saturday to do.
Thanks have a feeling thats what it is but it wont turn at all going to try and get done through extended warranty before doing it myself but I will see

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Have you tried turning the wheel slightly while trying to start. It’s been my experience that the column lock will sometimes bind if there is pressure on it and not release. And I’m talking generally and not Mustang specific. I can’t imagine that the electric power assist, if it failed, would not allow you to steer the car, albeit the Armstrong method. I mean, what would happen if it failed at highway speeds?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
It failed on my daughter on a city street. She was not strong enough to make it turn at all. She had to have it towed.
I was able to force the wheels to turn with a LOT of effort to get it in the garage. It would have been impossible to drive that way.
Ford wanted $3k to fix. We did it for under $800 but it took all day. Hope your warranty comes through for you.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mutang95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
It failed on my daughter on a city street. She was not strong enough to make it turn at all. She had to have it towed.
I was able to force the wheels to turn with a LOT of effort to get it in the garage. It would have been impossible to drive that way.
Ford wanted $3k to fix. We did it for under $800 but it took all day. Hope your warranty comes through for you.
I tried to turn it it wont budge if any hard i might snap wheel

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP

Mutang95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Only about 14k would bad belt make it freeze completely?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only about 14k would bad belt make it freeze completely?
It hard to say - if the belt broke or came off the cogs, it might cause complete loss of functionality.

If the EPAS module is dead either from internal circuitry failure OR a failure with a harness connection to the EPAS, that too might render the EPAS completely useless too.

Check for blown fuses also.

With only 14k on your S550, I don’t think it would be a failed EPAS belt, but anything is possible.

See the thread I linked, that member had the same issues as yours.

OP
OP

Mutang95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
It hard to say - if the belt broke or came off the cogs, it might cause complete loss of functionality.

If the EPAS module is dead either from internal circuitry failure OR a failure with a harness connection to the EPAS, that too might render the EPAS completely useless too.

Check for blown fuses also.

With only 14k on your S550, I don’t think it would be a failed EPAS belt, but anything is possible.

See the thread I linked, that member had the same issues as yours.
I checked all fuses and read over the link as well thank you.. I cant get it to budge I am going to see if covered under extended warranty if not I will have to fix

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
How many miles are on the S550?

It is quite possible the S550 EPAS belt has failed, or the EPAS module is dead causing the bind. See this thread for valuable info:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/help-identifying-eps-belt-size.127584/#post-2642940

Yes, there is an internal power steering belt (most do not even know it exists). Above link contains pics and belt sizing info.
That's interesting. I did not know some had belts. I wonder now if my daughter's (not an RS Focus) was rebuildable. Ford told her the whole unit had to be replaced so that's what I ordered. At the time I don't remember seeing anything about repairing the unit and it didn't have a core charge

On the s550, do you know, is it repairable on the car or does the unit still have to come off?

OP, please let us know how this plays out for you.

Hoser!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT convertible
Try turning the steering wheel towards where your wheels are pointing and then start the car.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here’s another few threads to help out... last post update in that thread says the OP found there was a loose connection in a harness which had created a fault (no steering).

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ower-in-their-steering-while-on-track.127352/

This one touches on corroded battery cables leading to malfunctioning EPAS:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/need-to-replace-my-rack.132063/#post-2724002

This thread has good troubleshooting info if needed:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...king-help-from-a-tech-ideas-on-causes.120707/

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's interesting. I did not know some had belts. I wonder now if my daughter's (not an RS Focus) was rebuildable. Ford told her the whole unit had to be replaced so that's what I ordered. At the time I don't remember seeing anything about repairing the unit and it didn't have a core charge

On the s550, do you know, is it repairable on the car or does the unit still have to come off?

OP, please let us know how this plays out for you.
I’m almost certain the rack has to be removed to open it for repair.

This thread has some insight to what is involved with removing the rack for repair effort:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/need-help-steering-rack-replacement.129096/

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)