honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Howdy, we're getting a Steering Assist Fault - Service Now error when we turn the car (regardless if engine running or just ignition on).

We disturbed the hell out of everything dropping the engine cradle:
  1. All grounds in engine cradle and engine harnesses removed/re-installed
  2. Engine cradle harness/engine harness replaced
  3. Powersteering unit unplugged
  4. Main battery replaced and terminals re-attached
  5. Engine bay cleaned
I am getting this error now everything is back together. We've ensured all connections are plugged in, checked all grounds, checked all fuses, etc.

Only mention in the service manual is of very little help:
upload_2019-4-16_12-58-54.png

Anyone have any ideas? The language around passive entry/passive start is peculiar. Anyone able to shed additional light here? The key allows the doors to lock/unlock without using the actual key fob (i.e. just touch the handles), so we checked that.
Sponsored

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Howdy, we're getting a Steering Assist Fault - Service Now error when we turn the car (regardless if engine running or just ignition on).

We disturbed the hell out of everything dropping the engine cradle:
  1. All grounds in engine cradle and engine harnesses removed/re-installed
  2. Engine cradle harness/engine harness replaced
  3. Powersteering unit unplugged
  4. Main battery replaced and terminals re-attached
  5. Engine bay cleaned
I am getting this error now everything is back together. We've ensured all connections are plugged in, checked all grounds, checked all fuses, etc.

Only mention in the service manual is of very little help:
upload_2019-4-16_12-58-54.png

Anyone have any ideas? The language around passive entry/passive start is peculiar. Anyone able to shed additional light here? The key allows the doors to lock/unlock without using the actual key fob (i.e. just touch the handles), so we checked that.
Did you or anyone happen to turn the steering wheel when it was disconnected?
Did the clock spring get damaged?
Do you have the steering shaft attached to the rack n pinion at the half way point?
Meaning if it takes 4 turns lock to lock do you have it centered at the half way point?

Can you scan for code?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Did you or anyone happen to turn the steering wheel when it was disconnected?
Did the clock spring get damaged?
Do you have the steering shaft attached to the rack n pinion at the half way point?
Meaning if it takes 4 turns lock to lock do you have it centered at the half way point?

Can you scan for code?
Very possible shit got moved. I didn't have the wheel locked in place and the cradle was removed for 4 months.

How do I check the clock spring for damage? Steering wheel was not removed, could it have gotten damaged without removing the wheel?

Yep. it's connected.

The wheel turns equal amounts each direction (I believe it's 1.5 full turns each way?).

No DTCs from the X4 tuner, will scan with Forscan after my meeting.

Venom52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500 CFTP, 23 Durango SRT 392
Check the plug by the airbox. Just read that leaving undone can cause this error and should clear up once plugged back in and driven a few miles.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
If the first thing you did was to disconnect the battery and you didn’t touch the interior, the chances of it being the clockspring is remote.

Check the front wheels with the steering wheel dead center to check to see if you have them aligned correctly.

When you say you removed the power steering unit, does that mean you pulled the rack? If so, did you take measurements for everything?

Did you bleed the power steering system?

Any leaks in the power steering system?

Did you fill w proper fluid?

Edit:

Your warning includes possible passive entry and passive start system issues.

I’d need to look them up but did you disconnect any related items?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Check the plug by the airbox. Just read that leaving undone can cause this error and should clear up once plugged back in and driven a few miles.
Do you mean the mass airflow sensor that plugs into the intake tube headed to the throttle body?

If the first thing you did was to disconnect the battery and you didn’t touch the interior, the chances of it being the clockspring is remote.

Check the front wheels with the steering wheel dead center to check to see if you have them aligned correctly.

When you say you removed the power steering unit, does that mean you pulled the rack? If so, did you take measurements for everything?

Edit:

Checked the front wheels. When steering wheel is centered, wheels are centered.

We dropped the cradle, so we had to disconnect the lower steering shaft right at the power steering unit. Did not remove the rack from the cradle, tho.

Since the power steering is electric, I didn't think of fluids. Am I missing something?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Do you mean the mass airflow sensor that plugs into the intake tube headed to the throttle body?

Checked the front wheels. When steering wheel is centered, wheels are centered.

We dropped the cradle, so we had to disconnect the lower steering shaft right at the power steering unit. Did not remove the rack from the cradle, tho.

Since the power steering is electric, I didn't think of fluids. Am I missing something?
I was just throwing thing out off the top of my head...forgot about the specifics of the GT350 :headbang:
I’ll do some digging this evening and post up what I might find.

Sponsored

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I believe he means the plug in the picture below located by the air box on the drivers side. It's for the traction and stability control. Someone else has reported having steering assist loss occasionally when running unplugged. Plugging it back in fixed it after a few miles.

tcs plug.jpg

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I believe he means the plug in the picture below located by the air box on the drivers side. It's for the traction and stability control. Someone else has reported having steering assist loss occasionally when running unplugged. Plugging it back in fixed it after a few miles.

tcs plug.jpg
Don't these are it. Haven't touched the plug. Just went out and checked it and it was as snug as a bug in a rug. For good measure, I unplugged and plugged it back.

According the service manual, we have a bunch of diagnostic tests to run. Will do that tonight.

The system appears to rely on the ABS module. Will need to explore that was well.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I know you have the pdf manual. I have the Helm up and found the DTC you posted.

They might be different... Let me know if you have any questions. Good Luck

477341E7-F5D4-4AE3-9F56-E7C449845176.jpeg
8CEF93C0-2303-4914-A46B-8AAF4B3DE460.jpeg
A863BE3B-8990-440C-9DE2-8EDB08DF829E.jpeg

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R

Edit:

We have electric steering. Not hydraulic.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
With it being an u code the network is not seeing the pscm , that is part of the rack . Either the rack is not powering up , or it is a net work issue . Make sure the battery is fully charged . The pscm is really sensitive to low voltage . If all conectors , grounds ,and voltages are OK . Then guided diagnoses needs to be followed. Unfortunately you need an IDS , ford scan tool , to do this . Also the scan tool is logged into PTS , Fords online manuals and interactive diagnosis. I don't know if there is an aftermarket scan tool with this function .
Sponsored