Sponsored

Need help - Steering rack replacement

sredish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang Ecoboost
Steering rack went out, ford wouldn't warranty, so I have a replacement here from Levittown. I can't, for the life of me, get the bad one out.

I have spent 8 hours today. Subframe is lowered with the motor supported and maybe lifted just a tad. There is a decent amount of room underneath the pan to come out the back. I can not, whatsoever, get it to move to either side enough to get the tie rods through.

Driver's side, the steering input sticks out way too much to clear it moving to the drivers. Passenger side, the welded sway bar bracket and upper portion of the subframe keep it from moving that way, literally by a 1/4"; so close it gets wedged tight but wont clear. So it just flops around in the middle. Can't rotate it up, can't move it out the back. Sway bar is out as well to be replaced.

If anyone has a FSM or advice / suggestions, I'd love some. I've searched relentlessly prior to getting the new rack with nothing on an s550 and nothing here; no youtube vids, nothing.

mustang1.jpeg
mustang2.jpeg
Literally, 8 hours today fighting it with no luck. I'm plenty mechanically inclined but I do truck stuff, these tight quarters make me feel like this is my last car.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@sredish

The tie rods need to be completely removed from the rack before the rack can be removed from the subframe.

Hopefully the attached helps. Attachment is applicable to all S550 models, so follow the parts applicable to your engine and transmission combo.

Attachments

Dragonheart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium 2015
I've replaced the rack without even messing with the subframe at all. Only had to remove one of tie rods and to properly rorate the rack while taking it out.

OP
OP
sredish

sredish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang Ecoboost
that was my next step. so i have to remove them from the old and the new and reinstall accordingly.

edit: yea, maybe i can pull the pass side and leave the drivers on and slide that through
Sponsored

Last edited: