Steeda MagneRide Controller for HP conversion

awpe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anton
Vehicle(s)
2008 VW Touareg V10 TDI, Mustang Mach 1 MP N2488
Hi, I'm probably getting my Mach 1 next week, but here in EU we didn't have the desired HP option (well, no options aside paint color).

As far as I know HP has different MagneRide calibration and that was smth you can not just get in there but suddenly I've found that MagneRide controller from Steeda to be available.

I want to do HP conversion on my own. Is it true that now when there is this MagneRide controller from Steeda I only need getting rear sway bar, front splitter, spoiler with gurney flap, HP wheels, front/back wheel lip moldings, and Steeda lowering springs and adjustable front strut mounts to call this HP?
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Hi, I'm probably getting my Mach 1 next week, but here in EU we didn't have the desired HP option (well, no options aside paint color).

As far as I know HP has different MagneRide calibration and that was smth you can not just get in there but suddenly I've found that MagneRide controller from Steeda to be available.

I want to do HP conversion on my own. Is it true that now when there is this MagneRide controller from Steeda I only need getting rear sway bar, front splitter, spoiler with gurney flap, HP wheels, front/back wheel lip moldings, and Steeda lowering springs and adjustable front strut mounts to call this HP?
No - whatever Steeda's calibrations in the DSC controllers are, they're not equivalent to the OEM M1 ones. Not equivalent - they may be better or may be worse depending on application.
Note that DSC controller is something you can simply buy from DSC and do whatever you want with it.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

This kit has stiffer springs and sways than both the M1 & M1HP :

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9602-M

If I understand correctly, the VDM update that's included in the kit isn't required for PP2 cars (or M1 / M1HP) cars :

1664443182361.png

Maybe that's an option for you ?

WD :like:

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
You don't need the slightly changed tuning, look on all those GT owners that modified their chassis without zero electronic tuning. Works fine on the track too. I have wide tyres and don't feel any need for it either.

If you don't ber seriously tracking the car, you don't need adjustable front strut mounts or solid rear sway bar. And if you do, you can do better upgrades to chassis than those. Get the spoiler, splitter, wheels and lip mouldings and don't overcomplicate your life 😁

Sponsored

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I think this would be a really good, possibly superior conversion to an HP equivalent package. If this is what you are interested in, why not? If you are going to go to the track here and there, then I'd suggest something a bit better than the Ford Performance camber plates, Those are limited to about -2.5 degrees negative, plenty for good street use, but not enough for track use with good track (not slicks) tires.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If you just want to say, you have an HP car, this will not be that. You will still have the non-hp car with some mods.

Steeda likely has some better tunes than Ford factory does anyways. Will it be as good as if you learned suspension tuning and tuned your car to fit your needs? Probably not.

Regardless, I would let some other guys install the Steeda tune, give Steeda their real world feedback, and let Steeda come out with a V2 that fixes the bugs that inherently come with a first run of anything.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
You don't need the slightly changed tuning, look on all those GT owners that modified their chassis without zero electronic tuning.
This. Factory VDM calibrations are actually quite good for 99% of owners of whatever Magneride car people have. Normal mode tune from Ford is substantially better than DSC "comfort" tune that comes with the box when purchased from them - which is way underdamped, at least for my springs which aren't really that stiff.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This. Factory VDM calibrations are actually quite good for 99% of owners of whatever Magneride car people have. Normal mode tune from Ford is substantially better than DSC "comfort" tune that comes with the box when purchased from them - which is way underdamped, at least for my springs which aren't really that stiff.
My opinion, none of the DSC tunes are "not good" to put it nicely. LOL, nothing against the DSC folks, they are super awesome to work with, but my understanding is most of their tuning on the DSC was done on Porsches. Having Steeda working on it, we are going to see a lot better tunes specific to the Mustang.

It kind of sucks the tunes are locked, but I see why Steeda would do it. Maybe in the future, they will have a custom tuning option, like the diesel truck tuners have now:wink:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
It kind of sucks the tunes are locked, but I see why Steeda would do it. Maybe in the future, they will have a custom tuning option, like the diesel truck tuners have now:wink:
"For safety" lol. But yes, understandable. It'd be interesting to see how good (or bad) they are.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Factory VDM calibrations are actually quite good for 99% of owners of whatever Magneride car people have.
beg to differ. :) Just drove a Mach1 HP and even at modest "this is someone else's brand new car" pace Normal was only just acceptable, overly stiff in comp, and too loose in rebound.

What I CAN say though is you need to do the IRS bracing and bushing lockouts for MR to work to it's potential. Even so, GM's Magneride tuning is simply much better than Ford's.

Normal mode tune from Ford is substantially better than DSC "comfort" tune that comes with the box when purchased from them - which is way underdamped, at least for my springs which aren't really that stiff.
Shame on DSC then.
It's disappointing that Steeda is locking their module. I would want a no-questions asked full refund in case I found their map wanting.

Or AT LEAST an option to buy their unlocked map for like $200 and apply it to a private purchased DSC.
Sponsored