Steeda IRS Brace

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
Other than hitting the drag strip a few times, I don’t plan on autocrossing or tracking my car. However, I noticed like many other Mustang owners have noticed that when I made a quick transition from left to right or right to left, the rear suspension feels like it’s a step behind and attached to the chassis by rubber bands. I’d like to minimize this sensation but also don’t want to go nuts with cost or modifications.

I’ve read a ton of threads about IRS braces, and the Steeda braces seem to be highly regarded as an easy way to reduce wheel hop on hard acceleration. Are they also good at reducing the latent rear end steering effect? I saw the other post recently on this but I think that Mustang owner has already done more to the suspension than I care to.

Also, do I need to be concerned about these Steeda braces rusting? I will drive in the salt and snow during the winters occasionally.
Sometimes I forget how nice it is to live in Vegas,
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bman5150

Bman5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Mustang GT Premium (carbonized gray)
OP, replace the RLCA bushing with a quality spherical, and install the subframe supports. You absolutely will notice the the change to a RLCA bearing and IRS subframe supports/alignment dowels.

IMO, installing those bars by themselves, is mods for the sake of mods. They probably make some difference, but the deflection is at the bushings and subframe supports. Bracing the subframe at one isolated point will not solve the deflection problem. This is why Steeda pairs these bars with the subframe supports and alignment dowels. Now granted, they ignore the RLCA bushing, but that is a huge source of deflection under load that must be addressed to get a planted feel in the corners.
appreciate the advice. What is an easier installation-new RLCA bushings or just replacing the OEM RLCAs with new ones that already have the better bushings?

also, do spherical bushings cause increased NVH? If so, are there other less aggressive RLCA bushings that do not cause a noticeable increase in NVH?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great! What product did you use on them? How did you prep the surface?
Hi,

Here is the process I followed :

• Found a reasonably good quality / reasonably good value local wheel refurbisher who was prepared to work with me.
  • Took the front and rear braces for the standard process.
  • Interrupted the process after chemical stripping.
  • Took the stuff away to fabricate / modify.
  • Returned it back to the powder coaters.
  • They finished the blasting and coating process.
  • On the rear braces, I sprayed (way to much) cavity wax into them, then put the bungs back in

1714490878335-f8.png

I've done the exact same process for my 350 aluminum upper brace (gloss black) and the Steeda front bumper bar (satin black).

1714490937791-8x.png

1714490987501-oa.png

The front bumper bar will only get cavity wax once it's fitted, but before the front loom mounting bolts get screwed in.

Although they were 'cash' jobs (if my memory serves me correctly), I think for the 2 x rear braces, 1 x front brace, 350 brace and front bumper bar, I'm up to about £240 split over three visits :like:

I've loads more pictures of the process (as supplied / stripped / modified / re coated etc), but didn't particularly want to clutter this thread - I only posted the above as you are the OP, and it's you who were asking lol :like:

WD :like:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, installing those bars by themselves, is mods for the sake of mods. They probably make some difference, but the deflection is at the bushings and subframe supports. Bracing the subframe at one isolated point will not solve the deflection problem. This is why Steeda pairs these bars with the subframe supports and alignment dowels. Now granted, they ignore the RLCA bushing, but that is a huge source of deflection under load that must be addressed to get a planted feel in the corners.
Yes, in my experience (I installed in stages and in the order below) :

• Subframe support bushes = 90% improvement.
  • IRS braces = 10% improvement.

Assuming those are the only two mods done / 0% before the mods / 100% after the two mods :like:

I appreciate that other mods may be better / worse than those two items, and that they may add further incremental improvements :like:

Ramairetransam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 s550

Assuming those are the only two mods done / 0% before the mods / 100% after the two mods :like:

I appreciate that other mods may be better / worse than those two items, and that they may add further incremental improvements :like:

wow im surprised on this , i was planning on the irs brace but if you think the subframe bushings are better ill go with them .

Sponsored

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1

So in your opinion the IRS brace is almost worthless?

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
appreciate the advice. What is an easier installation-new RLCA bushings or just replacing the OEM RLCAs with new ones that already have the better bushings?

also, do spherical bushings cause increased NVH? If so, are there other less aggressive RLCA bushings that do not cause a noticeable increase in NVH?
I took my car in to do the RLCA bushings, only because I don't have all the tools necessary (Or a lift for that matter) to do the job at home. Nothing wrong with the factory RLCA's.

I noticed no additional road noise after adding the sphericals.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
IMO, yes. They look cool, and probably do something, but it's minimal relative to subframe support bushings, alignment dowels, and RLCA sphericals. And while you're down there, might as well do the bushings on the toe links too.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Just verifying, when someone says "subframe support bushings" are you referring to Steeda 555-4437?

I already had those and the alignment dowels at the top of my list for when the subframe gets dropped next time.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
wow im surprised on this , i was planning on the irs brace but if you think the subframe bushings are better ill go with them .
I suspect it’s a case of whichever you do first, gives you the greatest difference / benefit - and there are pros / cons for each :like:

No, but see above :like:

I’ve since done spherical vertical links, and I’ve got spherical toe link bearings to go in :like:

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve since done spherical vertical links, and I’ve got spherical toe link bearings to go in :like:

Did you get the Steeda vertical links? I like that they're aluminum. You know, right after the discussion about Steeda's coatings lol.

Snellemin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt, '14 Expedition, Merc C300, Scion xb,
I did the upgrades in stages to see what the differences were on my car.

1. Rear IRS brace made the rear more stable at launches and high speed corners.
2. Front K-Member made my steering feel more responsive and feels planted at high speed corners.
3. Subframe alignment and support kit added even more stability at hard launches (stop the hop).
4. Vertical links added improvement to 1 and 3. I feel the rear being more stable during hard braking.

Last edited:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get the Steeda vertical links? I like that they're aluminum. You know, right after the discussion about Steeda's coatings lol.
I went with J&M - replaceable spherical bearings in both ends, really nice CNC work, one less thing to get anodised red, and they made themselves really easy to deal with (oversees shipping) :

1714495189048-n9.jpg

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ah yes they do look good and are also aluminum. It's going to be another 7-8 months before I drop the rear subframe again but I'll keep those in mind.
Sponsored