Sponsored

Starter heat sheild

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@honeybadger

What’s your thoughts on this product - knowing you have gone through a few stock starters on your GT350?

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
I'm still on stock starter. It has never skipped a beat on the street.

On the track, I cannot restart the car within ~15 min of turning it off.

19VelocityBlueGt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 velocity blue gt pp1 10r80
I just got a roll of heat shield products header blanket and cut it up for each header and starter blanket and cat covers. There was plenty to do all. Anyone not running heat sheiks on long tubes is crazy specially with summer heat coming around the corner.

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got a roll of heat shield products header blanket and cut it up for each header and starter blanket and cat covers. There was plenty to do all. Anyone not running heat sheiks on long tubes is crazy specially with summer heat coming around the corner.
Dumb question - how hard is this to do?

Sponsored

19VelocityBlueGt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 velocity blue gt pp1 10r80
Easy with some wire I just secured mine with fence wire. Steel not aluminum

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
I don't have a 350, but I did long tube headers and went with a heat shield lava blanket for the starter on my car (5.0). It's helped greatly so far and I've noticed it was relatively cool to the touch after a shakedown drive.

It was something I didn't think about until I put everything back together and noticed how much closer the long tubes now sat to the starter.

OP
OP
jabberwoki

jabberwoki

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
69 428 CJ Mach 1 , 2020 gt350
So in stock trim , no racing, not worth doing?

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So I reached out to the engineers on this one - was recommended not to heat blanket the starter as this will trap heat from the starter itself in. I was told the most common failure are the leads in the solenoid fraying and shorting out. The second is excessive heat build up due to issues in the battery cable.

If you look at the new GT500 - they have a much more robust heat shield on the battery cable itself as well as a heat shield on the starter (not a blanket). This what I plan to do.

I run a PowerMaster starter now and like it. More torque and much more robust. Only time will tell how long it lasts, tho.

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I reached out to the engineers on this one - was recommended not to heat blanket the starter as this will trap heat from the starter itself in. I was told the most common failure are the leads in the solenoid fraying and shorting out. The second is excessive heat build up due to issues in the battery cable.

If you look at the new GT500 - they have a much more robust heat shield on the battery cable itself as well as a heat shield on the starter (not a blanket). This what I plan to do.

I run a PowerMaster starter now and like it. More torque and much more robust. Only time will tell how long it lasts, tho.
Regarding trapping hear from the starter, that doesn't seem like an issue for me (but I lean towards trusting the engineers). My starter flakes out only when hot from tracking and has been dead reliable otherwise. Though, too your later point, maybe it's due to heat on the cable not heat to the starter itself.

Since I already have issues, I'm somewhat more amenable to trying it out and seeing if it makes a difference for me.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Regarding trapping hear from the starter, that doesn't seem like an issue for me (but I lean towards trusting the engineers). My starter flakes out only when hot from tracking and has been dead reliable otherwise. Though, too your later point, maybe it's due to heat on the cable not heat to the starter itself.

Since I already have issues, I'm somewhat more amenable to trying it out and seeing if it makes a difference for me.
FWIW, I ran the blanket and burned through 3 starters in fairly quick succession (couple events). Don't think it helped in my case.

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW, I ran the blanket and burned through 3 starters in fairly quick succession (couple events). Don't think it helped in my case.
Oh, very interesting. I didn't realize you had already run the blanket.

Were your symptoms like mine? I drive the car pretty much every weekend and have never had an issue with the starter. It was 100% repeatable at my last track day though, when I come off the track it doesn't work. After 10 minutes to cool down it does.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Oh, very interesting. I didn't realize you had already run the blanket.

Were your symptoms like mine? I drive the car pretty much every weekend and have never had an issue with the starter. It was 100% repeatable at my last track day though, when I come off the track it doesn't work. After 10 minutes to cool down it does.
Nope. Mine were one and done. They worked and then they didn't. I never had an intermittent issue. I'd be curious to see what your motor looks like taken apart. Wonder if your leads are fraying or if it is truly just heat.
Sponsored