Splitter protection

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 TO CFTP, 2013 SBY Boss 302
I have to agree with Caballus. I saw the same videos. Installed the same Sliplo. Had the same thought, except I questioned it even before I purchased. My poor excuse is the shop already had the product on hand, was providing a discount as the car was already in the air, so I shrugged and said sure. Not the worst purchase I've ever made.
Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I'm getting the Sliplo installed next month when I heve PPF put on my car. I was considering the ZL1's but someone noted that once you screw them in, you are essentially putting holes in the splitter, possibly affecting the value. Plus, they do stick out more than the Sliplo's. And the Sliplos can be easily removed with a heat gun with no damage.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The challenger guys already have this sorted in a ‘hold my beer’ kind of way ...

1614545267924.jpeg

WD :like:

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I got Sliplo's installed on my R splitter. Very happy so far - they definitely work . IMO it is better to have the protection take the brunt of splitter bottoming up which is what I installed them for. I can already see they work lol.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
Just installed Sliplo last week. As easy as it looks in all of the videos. Not disappointed, but couldn't help but second-guess my decision while installing.

I replaced the splitter on my previous GT350 after banging it up a bit. The current car's splitter has a small nick, but was able to fix it with heat and 1000 grit.

In both cases, previous splitter and current, the visible scars were on the outer portion of the leading edge, which Sliplo (and ZL1) does not cover. There were also light scrapes underneath, but they were out of sight--just like Sliplo is out of sight. So, why use Sliplo?

Another perspective: once Sliplo is installed, it's not coming off. It's now part of the splitter. So, if the Sliplo is scratched up (and it will be) then the splitter is scratched up (in an area that no one will ever see). Likewise with the ZL1 hardware.

Buyer's remorse? Of course not. All the cool kids use Sliplo (gotta keep up with the Smiths...or is it Johnsons...).

Just a few afterthoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide.
You can remove Sliplo

Also, some of the hardware attaching the splitter tend to scrape as well. With the splitter protection hitting first, you shouldn't have to worry about that either. It would suck trying to take the splitter off with rounded out screws.

In general if you're hitting the outside section on the street, you need to rethink how to drive cars with low ground clearance. Especially if it's a non R splitter.

Last edited:

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
You can remove Sliplo

Also, some of the hardware attaching the splitter tend to scrape as well. With the splitter protection hitting first, you shouldn't have to worry about that either. It would suck trying to take the splitter off with rounded out screws.

In general if you're hitting the outside section on the street, you need to rethink how to drive cars with low ground clearance. Especially if it's a non R splitter.
The Doc coat kills me :)

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
You can remove Sliplo
No doubt, and don't mean to overstate the point.

But, as the video points out, removal is no easy task--if fingers even survive through the process. I also noted that the Camaro splitter in the video is a painted surface, and removal is still not easy. If I compare that to changing a Shelby splitter I would personally prefer to replace the splitter than to replace SLIPLO (have taken them on and off 5-6 times; takes about 30 minutes max now).

Granted, splitters are not getting any cheaper, but two packages of SLIPLO at full price (original and replacement), along with the pain of removal would probably make splitter replacement an even deal in my mind (personal opinion).

As for the hardware, I did a good number on the fasteners on the first splitter, but still had no issue removing any of them. For the most part, the rivets (vice screws) take the bulk of any bruising, and those are not removed when replacing the splitter. They are permanent fixtures. If you scrape up the screw fasteners, you can replace them for pennies before they are chewed up too badly (if it's even possible to damage them to the point that you can't unscrew them).

So, again, not knocking it. Just providing a different perspective based on my own experience and too much time thinking about it. In hindsight, I don't think Sliplo (or ZL1) add any significant protection. One person's perspective.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Not dismissing anyone's opinion/situation but removing Sliplo from the type of plastic the Shelby's splitter is made of is quite easy with a heat gun/hair dryer, a plastic scraping tool/object (like an old credit card) and mineral spirits for final cleanup. Also I agree with the math for the regular splitter and that is a personal choice but if you have an R splitter the whole value proposition is much more favorable.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
If anyone is concerned with the tallness of the spilo... you're welcome to use a dremel and slice it in half. They were just giving you a lot of meat. Eventually after so many scrapes it will be as thin and needing replacements.
Sponsored