Sponsored

Paint Film Protection

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
I have ised Xpel and Suntek products. I'd recommend Xpel for max protection and Suntek on darker cars because it doesn't show as easily.

$4k-$5k seems crazy expensive in my area.
Sponsored

mrdigray

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 - White Blue Stripes
Hey Superdog, I don't see a cost for the detail? Maybe being redundant, but I'd have the car detailed to the "T" prior to installing the PPF. That way, underneath the PPF you have that minty paint you reference in your above post - no swirls, no hairline scratches - paint as perfect as a Ford can be!
I was wondering what they did to prep as a follow up. These are the questions I asked the installer:

1. How long will it take? - 2 days

2. How are the stripes handled? Is the wrap just over the top of them? - Wrap would be over stripes, yes. Unless they are flat finish.

3. What kind of prep do you do to the car before applying the wrap? - We wash, clay and make sure surface is clean and smooth before applying film
…. If the car has issues w/ paint prior to doing - like from the factory or as a pre-owned formerly improperly detailed - then I would recommend a full exterior detail to correct before applying film - $ 200 – 250. +/-

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering what they did to prep as a follow up. These are the questions I asked the installer:

2. How are the stripes handled? Is the wrap just over the top of them? - Wrap would be over stripes, yes. Unless they are flat finish.

3. What kind of prep do you do to the car before applying the wrap? - We wash, clay and make sure surface is clean and smooth before applying film
…. If the car has issues w/ paint prior to doing - like from the factory or as a pre-owned formerly improperly detailed - then I would recommend a full exterior detail to correct before applying film - $ 200 – 250. +/-
I will not apply over stripes... God forbid you need to remove it, you are getting your stripes off for sure. It is VERY hard to remove XPEL, don't ask me how I know.

mrdigray

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 - White Blue Stripes
I will not apply over stripes... God forbid you need to remove it, you are getting your stripes off for sure. It is VERY hard to remove XPEL, don't ask me how I know.
What about chips/marks in the stripes? I would assume they are not super resilient. Just live with it?

OP
OP

Superdog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Black on Black

I appreciate the insight. I'll be sure I do that.

I literally have under 600 miles at this point, so it should not be an issue. But might as well get it done properly.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Superdog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
^^^

Oh and no stripes for me. So I'm good.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Doing the entire car will cost between 4k and 6k. I think it's overkill. I did the entire front end, mirror covers and rockers. There is really no way to do the 1/4 panel without seeing a seam unless the whole panel is done.

OP
OP

Superdog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)

Full detail included in cost just to ensure its perfect when the film goes on.

Thanks!!

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Full detail included in cost just to ensure its perfect when the film goes on.

Thanks!!
Full detail is required (except for sealant, wax etc) for the film to go on correctly and adhere. Any wax/sealant left on the car prior to the film will cause problems. If the shop is charging you extra just to do this, I'd be concerned. If you want a ceramic coating over the film, that will be additional.

OP
OP

Superdog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
Full detail is required (except for sealant, wax etc) for the film to go on correctly and adhere. Any wax/sealant left on the car prior to the film will cause problems. If the shop is charging you extra just to do this, I'd be concerned. If you want a ceramic coating over the film, that will be additional.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. It's not extra. It's included in the overall costs that was already provided.

From what I can tell, it sounds like my guy is about right in terms of price, if not a little bit high.

But based on his reputation and his book of work, I'm ok paying a small premium for the shop that is apparently the best in this area.

From what I can tell he is nothing short of meticulous.

Sponsored

MTWINN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I had XPEL Ultimate installed on full front bumper, full front fenders, headlights, full hood, A-Pillars, rocker panels, the front section of the rear wheels, and the lower rear panel behind the rear wheels for $1625. So far, no chips or damage. :thumbsup:

theman1990

1 arm, 4 cars, 0 autos
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech, GT350R
I had both mine done with the SunTek stuff.... 2000 miles on my tech and not a rock chip to be found. I considered not doing the R but after reading the horror stories of how fragile our paint it I changed my mind and did it. 500 miles in and so far, so good!

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Why is everyone so worried about the stripes. Those can be replaced, can't they? Hell, I may want my OTT stripes removed at some point anyway.

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
Why is everyone so worried about the stripes. Those can be replaced, can't they? Hell, I may want my OTT stripes removed at some point anyway.
Sure but, $$$ for OEM replacements.
Sponsored