AnthonyA1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 1992 Mustang GT
Do you have aftermarket wheels?
Stock wheels have a relief on the back of the flange that the stock studs will fit into, many aftermarket wheels do not have this
I have the 25mm front & rear
The 25mm is thick enough were it goes over the stud I assume

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey I put the 20mm spacers on and I noticed that there’s a gap between the wheel and spacer. It looks like the stock studs are hitting the wheel. Did I do something wrong?
yes, very, Very, VERY wrong! Take the Bullitt wheel off and examine the back side.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hey I put the 20mm spacers on and I noticed that there’s a gap between the wheel and spacer. It looks like the stock studs are hitting the wheel. Did I do something wrong?
03190C7D-12EF-456D-A9B5-A637F6DF9861.jpeg
FBE59B4B-FA74-401A-9104-A5AE64719C73.jpeg
Right, I mentioned this above.

Someone said "No problem with the Bullitt wheels". I had no idea, I did know that 20mm would __not__ work with Perf Pack wheels for the EXACT reason your photos show, i.e., the OEM studs make contact with the wheel / the lug pockets aren't deep enough.

OP
OP
AnthonyA1234

AnthonyA1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 1992 Mustang GT
Yea I’m just gonna sell them and only run the 25mm in the back. I like the look of the big tires in the back anyways.

Sponsored

ionpig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019, MagnaRide, Recaro's etc...2016 Land Rover Discovery 4 Landmark Edition, 2012 Mini Cooper
Are the spacers hub centric? If you go too small on the spacers (less than 22mm if I remember correctly) then the studs may well be too long, even for the recesses at the back face of the standard Bullitt wheels. Easy to fix: cut them shorter or order spacers that are slightly bigger. Mine are 22mm all round and they're perfect.

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
What is the informed consensus on spacers? I'm talking high quality ones. Is it generally not a good idea?

I love the way they make the wheels/tires look and fit but it seems like an unnecessary risk to me.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'd never use them. The suspension wasn't designed for the extra stress, so why risk it? I'm a function over form guy, and also like to push the car in the twisties, so I wouldn't do that even if I was paid. Ha ha. On the other hand, many use them, without catastrophic consequences. For sure bearings would fail earlier, but they give you advance notice. Finally, the thinner, the less extra stress, so go for the minimum thickness that will satisfy your aesthetic needs. Ha ha. Good luck.

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I'd never use them. The suspension wasn't designed for the extra stress, so why risk it? I'm a function over form guy, and also like to push the car in the twisties, so I wouldn't do that even if I was paid for that. Ha ha. On the other hand, many used them, without any catastrophic consequences. For sure bearings would fail earlier, but they give you advance notice. And the less thick, the less stress, so go for the minimum thickness that will satisfy your aesthetic needs. Ha ha. Good luck.
That's where my head is at. Thank you.

I've been saving for bigger wheels anyway!

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
For the record Ford Performance Driving School runs spacers on all 4 corners with the OEM 9.5in wide Performance Pack wheels also on all 4 corners on their GT's.

If Ford Performance trusts them (properly sized and installed) enough for cars that students drive at high speeds, then that to me says they are safe.

Sponsored

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
For the record Ford Performance Driving School runs spacers on all 4 corners with the OEM 9.5in wide Performance Pack wheels also on all 4 corners on their GT's.

If Ford Performance trusts them (properly sized and installed) enough for cars that students drive at high speeds, then that to me says they are safe.
I agree that they're safe but I'm more concerned with premature wear.

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
I agree that they're safe but I'm more concerned with premature wear.
The premature wear is going to occur just the same if your aftermarket wheel protrudes as far out as a spaced factory wheel. You're still changing the track width whether it's through spacers or an aftermarket set of wheels. Wider is wider. It's negligible though, since the PP2 cars have a wider track and come with the same bearings. I wouldn't sweat "wearing out" suspension or wheel components if you're staying at 1" or less.

The real argument can be made for additional points of failure. You now have twice as many lug nuts as you had before and twice as many wheel studs.

I used Eibach 20mm spacers on all four corners before upgrading wheels with no consequences. Just do your homework and know the risks. Do what you can to mitigate those risks and enjoy your car.

Just remember, there's a million "Kyles" out there running 4 and 5 inch spacers on 85lb wheel/tire setups on their bro-dozer trucks. They're really the ones that should be worried, not you.

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The premature wear is going to occur just the same if your aftermarket wheel protrudes as far out as a spaced factory wheel. You're still changing the track width whether it's through spacers or an aftermarket set of wheels. Wider is wider. It's negligible though, since the PP2 cars have a wider track and come with the same bearings. I wouldn't sweat "wearing out" suspension or wheel components if you're staying at 1" or less.

The real argument can be made for additional points of failure. You now have twice as many lug nuts as you had before and twice as many wheel studs.

I used Eibach 20mm spacers on all four corners before upgrading wheels with no consequences. Just do your homework and know the risks. Do what you can to mitigate those risks and enjoy your car.

Just remember, there's a million "Kyles" out there running 4 and 5 inch spacers on 85lb wheel/tire setups on their bro-dozer trucks. They're really the ones that should be worried, not you.
That last part made me laugh.

Thank you, that's super informative. I didn't realize that wider wheels would have essentially the same impact on "wear."

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I pulled the trigger. Steeda - 20mm rear and 1" for the front. Should have them in a week.
Sponsored