So, steppin’ out?

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Im going to disagree with all you "Expert Drivers" on here. I have had 5 different mustangs over the past 20 years. Ranging from 230hp to 750rwhp terminator. My 2017, when stock had a completely unpredictable rear end. If the tires spun at all you had no idea if it was going to kick right or left, I thought it was terrible. All my previous cars were easy to control and were very predictable when doing a burn out or spinning the tires. Part of the problem could be that this is my first auto mustang when it starts to spin it up shifts and then increases wheel speeds where as all my previous mustangs were manual. However since I have installed the full Steeda Stop the Hop Ultimate kit things have improved TREMENDOUSLY in this department.
Sponsored

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The IRS on these cars makes them a lot less likely to do something unexpected.... I drove back to back an S197 GT and an S550 and the 197 felt freaking dangerous. The back likes to get out and somewhat without notice. I worried about my wife driving it, so the S197 fell off the list of considerations.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
This thread made me think of this song Steppin’ Out by Kool & The Gang. LOL! Sticky tires are certainly a must on these cars. Without them and traction control disabled it‘s like ice skating.

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
At least the GT350 damage seemed to be mostly suspension. Hopefully.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
This is the one thing I don't like about driving modes. I live in a big city so there are few times I can really use the power of the car. So 99% of the time it's in normal mode. Switching it to track mode turns it into a completely different car and after 2 years I can say I still haven't learnt to trust myself with the car. Mostly I choose S+ so the nannies stay on and there has been a couple times I've hit the gas and the engine has laid over, so I assume it would have broke the tires loose if not for the TC. My S197 never had driving modes so the car reacted the same way every time you drove it. That car I know what to expect when I did something. With this car I believe I'm still leaving a lot on the table so to speak but I'd prefer to keep it that way rather than wrapping it around a pole, or worse.

Sponsored

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Hey folk interesting thread but still learning all the jargon I know TC is traction control but what is ESC? fwiw I started driving back in the RWD only days and part of driver learning what what do to in a skid or spin. Being FWD took over as the standard could be driving skill or training may lack that focus now?

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Hey folk interesting thread but still learning all the jargon I know TC is traction control but what is ESC? fwiw I started driving back in the RWD only days and part of driver learning what what do to in a skid or spin. Being FWD took over as the standard could be driving skill or training may lack that focus now?
Electronic Stability Control

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Electronic Stability Control
ha and I probably got that on my GT too. For me I've got my first Track weekend scheduled for May. Want to learn how drive at higher skill levels and do my really fast driving where it's legal.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
I use this a lot
www.automotive-acronyms.com

Sponsored

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
There isn't an issue with ANY rear wheel drive sports car, Mustang included - with "stepping out"...

The issue is:
When a Mustang does "step out", *some* Drivers don't use common sense, don't know the basics of control and recovery . . . AND won't let up on the throttle...

It's not a "car" problem, it's a person problem.

the end.
This 100%. The only time any vehicle I have been driving "steps out" is when I want it to....and I usually turn Traction Control off when I first get in the vehicle.

Doug

thasuperdude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Practice makes perfect. After 3 years with the car, I'm finally comfortable hanging it out. My M3 was WAY more forgiving, but I practice sideways in an autox environment. Cones do far less damage then curbs. Also, some people just are not good drivers. And that's ok, just know your talent. I host drives a the tail of the dragon annually and the car is happy planted in a corner as it is with some slip angle. BUT you don't want to learn in that environment. Be respectful of the car and know your driving skills and you'll fine.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
ha and I probably got that on my GT too. For me I've got my first Track weekend scheduled for May. Want to learn how drive at higher skill levels and do my really fast driving where it's legal.
It’s been mandated in the us for quite awhile. Any s550 should have it.

I highly recommend anyone with a car like this get training at track days, but tbh autocross is even better. Super low risk and you can push it far enough to spin. Hpde you can’t really feel out the edges as well. You never want your first time losing control to be when it counts.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
It’s been mandated in the us for quite awhile. Any s550 should have it.

I highly recommend anyone with a car like this get training at track days, but tbh autocross is even better. Super low risk and you can push it far enough to spin. Hpde you can’t really feel out the edges as well. You never want your first time losing control to be when it counts.
Hmmm so I'm doing track but I joined SCCA and they host Autocross too. I'll check into that too.

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
Any vehicle can get out of control if you're not ready for it. Do a track day, learn how vehicles work...education and experience are very helpful in preventing accidents. If you do push it, learn the car's limits and try to remain calm if things happen. Over-correcting is what gets people in trouble with rear-drive cars.
I would say experiment with you car at an autocross not a track day. Walls can be unforgiving. A smartly designed autocross will give you plenty of room to make mistakes.
Sponsored