You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Jaime, I am not sure the height of my stripes are exactly the same as the OEM stripes that you have. I don't know the height of mine off hand and I am down in SoCal (Joshua Tree National Park) and won't be home until Sunday to measure mine. Let me know the height of the OEM stripes and I will get back to you Sunday.
Crap, lol. I hope they are the same height. My car is filmed, and I don’t want to have to do the whole thing. My PPF guy is gonna cut and remove the film at the height of the stripes, which will pull off the OEM stripe at the same time, apply the new stripe, the put a new piece over the new stripe. If the height is different I may just scrap the whole idea. I don’t want to have to have that done on the doors and rear quarters as well.

I will measure the stripe height in the AM, if someone doesn’t post the measurement by then.
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
My PPF guy is gonna cut and remove the film at the height of the stripes, which will pull off the OEM stripe at the same time, apply the new stripe, the put a new piece over the new stripe.
why? stripes are just as good as PPF...

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
I'm guessing I should throw up a side shot. :)

NZ7_48081900 (1)500500.jpg
Mark, you have a pretty sick blue beast build going. Are you planning on a window tint at all? You have me contemplating getting black side stripes on my Iconic, lol.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
why? stripes are just as good as PPF...
The film will protect both the paint and the stripes from chops from front tires. That and when washing and detailing there are no edges that can get lifted by the microfiber cloths.

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mark, you have a pretty sick blue beast build going. Are you planning on a window tint at all? You have me contemplating getting black side stripes on my Iconic, lol.
Black side stripes on Iconic is brilliant

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jaime, I am not sure the height of my stripes are exactly the same as the OEM stripes that you have. I don't know the height of mine off hand and I am down in SoCal (Joshua Tree National Park) and won't be home until Sunday to measure mine. Let me know the height of the OEM stripes and I will get back to you Sunday.
Factory stripes are 3” from top of top stripe to bottom of bottom stripe.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I was thinking of putting the side stripes over the PPF. If you PPF over the stripes, it will leave an air bubble at the edge of each stripe. Relief cuts would be difficult around the "GT500" aft of the front wheel.

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
My windows are tinted but not as dark as most people get them. I want them darker than factory but light enough to see in otherwise it is too easy to get pulled over. As long as you can see in easily cops rarely bother you. I have 50% on the windshield and all side windows. The rear window is 5%. Many of my photos may look like the windows are not tinted because of the lighting being so bright. In person you can very much tell they are tinted. Here is a shot where the windows look a little darker.

NZ7_4780GT5001900.jpg

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking of putting the side stripes over the PPF. If you PPF over the stripes, it will leave an air bubble at the edge of each stripe. Relief cuts would be difficult around the "GT500" aft of the front wheel.
Completely agree with you Tom. The striping is so thin in and around the GT500 that I am sure you would see air around the edges. Maybe standing from 6 feet away you many not notice it. Probably also depends on how thin the PPF is. I understand some are very thin and more stretchy than others.

Sponsored

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Factory stripes are 3” from top of top stripe to bottom of bottom stripe.
Jaime, I will actually be home later tonight now (changed my flight) so I will get back to you then. If they are shorter than 3" there are other options but I will explain those tonight.

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I was thinking of putting the side stripes over the PPF.
Under normal circumstances Tom, I would completely agree with you. But since Jaime already has PPF over his existing side stripes, reversing that for the short section on the front fender would definitely be noticeable.

As I recall, Jaime's outfit did a very good job with his film and I think he said he didn't have the air gap on any of the stripes. Films have certainly changed in the couple years since I've purchased some so it's quite possible that the newer film will "stay stuck" right up against the vinyl. Even if it strays a tiny bit over time, I would still pull the film on the front fender, install the "GT 500" decal, and then film the fender again. IMHO, "a film guy" would agree with those steps.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Completely agree with you Tom. The striping is so thin in and around the GT500 that I am sure you would see air around the edges. Maybe standing from 6 feet away you many not notice it. Probably also depends on how thin the PPF is. I understand some are very thin and more stretchy than others.
In my research, what you have said has been true. The real factor is the color of the stripe. My guy said when the stripes are white, the slight air gap (if any) would not be very noticeable up against a white stripe. He was dead on accurate. If I look good and hard, I might notice something there, and I mean face to stripe, not 6 feet away. Every single person that has eye balled my car never even noticed the car was filmed. Not one person. When I told them they did not believe me.

Under normal circumstances Tom, I would completely agree with you. But since Jaime already has PPF over his existing side stripes, reversing that for the short section on the front fender would definitely be noticeable.

As I recall, Jaime's outfit did a very good job with his film and I think he said he didn't have the air gap on any of the stripes. Films have certainly changed in the couple years since I've purchased some so it's quite possible that the newer film will "stay stuck" right up against the vinyl. Even if it strays a tiny bit over time, I would still pull the film on the front fender, install the "GT 500" decal, and then film the fender again. IMHO, "a film guy" would agree with those steps.
I had purchased new fender cobras for when the original film went on, so I do not want to do the whole fender again. He will cut the existing film at the stripe line, peel both it and the original stripes off, install the new section, then cover it with a new piece to abut against the rest of the fender film right at the stripe line. This 14" (ish) section will be the only section on the entire car that I will have to keep an eye on when detailing, but I suspect no issues at all. Expel is pretty amazing, I absolutely love it.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jaime, I will actually be home later tonight now (changed my flight) so I will get back to you then. If they are shorter than 3" there are other options but I will explain those tonight.
No immediate rush Mark, thanks for the heads up on this.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

We'll see. I just had film done not too long ago and where it met the stripes, a relief cut was made. Nobodys doing a relief cut around that "GT500"
Sponsored