Sponsored

shudder when letting off the clutch

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
That's odd. I've seen it over and over with aftermarket clutches buy not so much with oem.
Had it from the first day I left the showroom with 0 miles.
Took it to the dealer 4 times all said “it’s normal” and “ allow time for the clutch to bed in”. Now with 26000kms it’s the same as it was the first day.

and they won’t change it under warranty. Quoted me 3000€ to change the clutch and flywheel.
told them not to bother it would be better with an aftermarket clutch anyway.

I think it’s probably the flywheel either heat spots or slightly warped which would explain not happening when cold and only when been driving for an hour.
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Had it from the first day I left the showroom with 0 miles.
Took it to the dealer 4 times all said “it’s normal” and “ allow time for the clutch to bed in”. Now with 26000kms it’s the same as it was the first day.

and they won’t change it under warranty. Quoted me 3000€ to change the clutch and flywheel.
told them not to bother it would be better with an aftermarket clutch anyway.

I think it’s probably the flywheel either heat spots or slightly warped which would explain not happening when cold and only when been driving for an hour.
Well that's definitely BS they rode it out through your warranty telling you it's "normal" but doesn't surprise me. An aftermarket clutch might not completely solve your issues though. My lpxhd grips like hell but shudders and sticks in first. It's a love/ hate relationship..... also my stock clutch was flawless minus an occasional 3rd gear lockout.

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
Well that's definitely BS they rode it out through your warranty telling you it's "normal" but doesn't surprise me. An aftermarket clutch might not completely solve your issues though. My lpxhd grips like hell but shudders and sticks in first. It's a love/ hate relationship..... also my stock clutch was flawless minus an occasional 3rd gear lockout.
Yeh
Not sure what to do next ?.
I may just take the plunge and get the flywheel replaced.
wont get it changed by the stealer ship though.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Do you launch the car hard and slip the clutch a lot? They don’t handle that type of abuse very well. I burned my clutch and flywheel up at just 6000 miles from slipping it at the drag strip in just 5 full passes. Surprisingly, it still didn’t shudder at all.

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
Do you launch the car hard and slip the clutch a lot? They don’t handle that type of abuse very well. I burned my clutch and flywheel up at just 6000 miles from slipping it at the drag strip in just 5 full passes. Surprisingly, it still didn’t shudder at all.
Did try slipping it once or twice to try and burn off any residue that may cause it to judder. Apart from that no abuse at all. Just normal every day driving.

Sponsored

Therealmattlex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Are you saying that you‘re running one cerametallic disc and one organic disc? What brand is the clutch and are you running an aluminum or steel flywheel?
1 disc, carbon ceramic on 1 side with a exert flywheel. It was an mpact stage 2.5 clutch. It but way to hard for my liking and I believe that’s what most of the shudder was from. I stayed with a mpact but stock replacement. More rivets and I like it. It drives like stock with no lock out or exposing pressure plates.

I do occasionally get a little shudder trying to creep very slow. I’m thinking it may have a little to do with the trans mount being soft.

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG M6 Mach 1 ordered. 12/1; Received 2/3
The flywheel has to be A) clean and flat, there cannot be any runout in the surface. It must be flat which includes torquing it correctly B) the clutch plate must be clean C) your throwout bearing must be in good working order and D) your pressure plate must be clean and flat. A factory clutch that hasn't been mistreated should NOT shudder. Any mechanic that says otherwise should find a new line of work. Once you get into hardcore racing equipment, you are into different territory because it 's design point is to survive being launched and bang shifted repeatedly.
I had this issue on a 97 Firehawk and yes I realize it's apples and oranges, but...it was a single disk Spec unit. I had the flywheel refaced, I cleaned all surfaces with brake cleaner including the mounting surface for the flywheel to the crank. It shuddered from the first day in went in. Ultimately it pulled the throwout bearing (mechanical one) into two pieces. This after 9 months of old man usage. I went back to Spec, low and behold the throwout bearing had a new design and part number, but they wouldn't concede my version had a design flaw or replace it on a warranty basis. Replaced the flywheel with a new unit, new clutch/pressure plate (not a Spec unit) ARP bolts for the flywheel, a new throughout bearing, smooth as glass.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt

got a link I posted on YouTube.
this was when the car was almost brand new.
you can actually here the juddering.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That doesn't sound right at all. When I was referring to my aftermarket clutch shuddering, it’s nothing like what you’re experiencing. The best way to describe mine is, the clutch slightly pulses like it’s grabbing and releasing quickly, but if I am very careful releasing the clutch, it doesn‘t do it at all. I can’t hear it outside the car like you can on yours.

The factory Bullitt clutch looks weak compared to my aftermarket clutch.

8DEA2BBD-19E2-412F-A6AB-B8D0479448BD.jpeg

9E68FEC3-11F1-4DAF-AF21-F1E6E123DFB2.jpeg

BFF50F1E-4CD9-46FE-84CD-A8A82490CB80.jpeg

CD4F4126-89B1-4DFF-809C-E58E3F5A141D.jpeg

F41F26DD-B692-4D63-BB86-ADDA9B45A55C.jpeg

C4D25A2F-9278-48DE-97F0-FA3C815841B1.jpeg
Sponsored