Sponsored

shudder when letting off the clutch

dh3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 301a, Auto, Black, Black accent package
I’ve had this a few times. Might be the fly wheel needs a skim. Might be a bit of moisture on cold/wet mornings. Also, if it’s been warped due to a poor or hard launch.
Launch control was turned on when I got the car.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I know the MT-82 might not be that robust, but not that weak either, especially the upgraded D4. And the weak point is reportedly the lack of welds on the shift forks, and some plastic parts, but not the gears or clutch IMO. And if the pressure plate was warped, it'd shudder all the time, not just at super low revs with no throttle. What my car has is obviously a characteristic of the clutch, and not any malfunction or defect. But maybe others have a more severe shudder that would imply something is not quite right in there.

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
Bullitt 2020 here.....
Also have the the clutch chatter and shuddering from a standstill. Went to the dealer twice and they say it’s normal.
Have a listen to the video and tell me if that is normal?.
has 5000 miles and did this since I pulled out of the showroom with 15miles on it.

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
I'm just getting used to my new Bullitt, but could swear I've felt a slight shudder a couple of times, when pulling the car into the garage the last couple of feet, without touching the gas pedal (the ECU raises idle a little, which is enough for that). When taking off normally, no shudder at all. So I know it's not a bad clutch plate, but what could it be? Instances like this is when I question how hard were the 66 miles my car had before I took it for a test drive. Hope it's 'normal', meaning many other cars do that too. But even if it's not, I'm not going to worry unless it gets worse, but what worries me is manufactureres typically give you a super hard time to cover anything clutch related, so the sooner it is, the better chances you have to get it covered under warranty. My car has only 300+ miles, so haven't driven it hard myself at all. Thx.
Hi
Did you manage to get this resolved.
I have had a Bullitt Mustang since October 2020 and it’s doing the same thing. It drives me nuts, you can hear the car juddering from outside and I made a video of the prop shaft and slowly pulled forward it judders like hell.

dealer doesn’t want to know says it’s normal but no way is this normal.
I can’t even parallel park anymore because I have to increase the revs to stop the judder and it’s hard to control.

I spoke with dealer with WhatsApp from first week of having the car so at least it’s documented but doesn’t get better or worse. They asked me to put more miles to see if the clutch seats better but it hasn’t.
Just wondered if you fixed it or just lived with it?.

cheers

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
Mine shudders a bit after driving 5-10min, but not before or after that. I assumed it was just a temperature thing. It hasn't seemed to cause any problems.
Did you ever fix this ?.
Mine is fine when cold and judders like hell once warmed up ?.

Sponsored

Therealmattlex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I may be unrelated to your issue being you have a stock clutch. I recently put in a clutch with one side of the friction plate being ceramic. As it broke in the shudder was getting worse. I was extremely gentle on it for about the first 1500 miles. I finally was fed up and took off at 5000 rpms and slipped the clutch like crazy. It ended up cleaning at least one of the friction surfaces because now it's smooth.

I wouldn't recommended slipping it to long or often with a organic clutch because they don't like the heat but it may be worth a shot.

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
I know the MT-82 might not be that robust, but not that weak either, especially the upgraded D4. And the weak point is reportedly the lack of welds on the shift forks, and some plastic parts, but not the gears or clutch IMO. And if the pressure plate was warped, it'd shudder all the time, not just at super low revs with no throttle. What my car has is obviously a characteristic of the clutch, and not any malfunction or defect. But maybe others have a more severe shudder that would imply something is not quite right in there.
Yep.
I’ve got the shudder. Had it from new
Really drives me crazy sometimes. Noticed when cold doesn’t do it but after an hour of driving it will shudder at the very low speeds from a stop.
Doesn’t shudder if I take off from 2nd gear though.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I may be unrelated to your issue being you have a stock clutch. I recently put in a clutch with one side of the friction plate being ceramic. As it broke in the shudder was getting worse. I was extremely gentle on it for about the first 1500 miles. I finally was fed up and took off at 5000 rpms and slipped the clutch like crazy. It ended up cleaning at least one of the friction surfaces because now it's smooth.

I wouldn't recommended slipping it to long or often with a organic clutch because they don't like the heat but it may be worth a shot.
Are you saying that you‘re running one cerametallic disc and one organic disc? What brand is the clutch and are you running an aluminum or steel flywheel?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yep.
Really drives me crazy sometimes. Noticed when cold doesn’t do it but after an hour of driving it will shudder at the very low speeds from a stop.
How many miles do you have on your tranny? I just put a new Ram Pro Street cerametallic twin disc clutch in my 2019 Bullitt and rebuilt the tranny as well, with upgraded parts.

My tranny didn’t sound like yours before the new clutch and rebuild, but it now makes a little noise, which I have attributed to gear rollover noise and a characteristic of the cerametallic clutch. During the rebuild, I also removed my counterweight from the right side of the tranny.

I’ve only got 605 miles on the tranny and new clutch so far and can say that after the second drive, the noise has subsided and continues to get better. I don’t plan to push the car until I get at least 1000 miles on the setup.

Here’s what it sounded like on the very first startup after the clutch and tranny install. The noise has dropped off considerably and continues to get quieter with more miles. As far as shudder goes, I do experience a little of that, but I can also eliminate it by being careful when taking off, or blipping the throttle and then releasing the clutch.

Sponsored

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
How many miles do you have on your tranny? I just put a new Ram Pro Street cerametallic twin disc clutch in my 2019 Bullitt and rebuilt the tranny as well, with upgraded parts.

My tranny didn’t sound like yours before the new clutch and rebuild, but it now makes a little noise, which I have attributed to gear rollover noise and a characteristic of the cerametallic clutch. During the rebuild, I also removed my counterweight from the right side of the tranny.

I’ve only got 605 miles on the tranny and new clutch so far and can say that after the second drive, the noise has subsided and continues to get better. I don’t plan to push the car until I get at least 1000 miles on the setup.

Here’s what it sounded like on the very first startup after the clutch and tranny install. The noise has dropped off considerably and continues to get quieter with more miles. As far as shudder goes, I do experience a little of that, but I can also eliminate it by being careful when taking off, or blipping the throttle and then releasing the clutch.

Wow you’ve done a good few mods…
Is the clutch judder just something we have to live with on these vehicles ?.

took it to Ford and they quoted 3000€ for a new clutch kit without guarantee it will solve the problem.

placed a camera under the car when pulling away and can see the entire drive shaft judder when pulling away.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Wow you’ve done a good few mods…
Is the clutch judder just something we have to live with on these vehicles ?.

took it to Ford and they quoted 3000€ for a new clutch kit without guarantee it will solve the problem.

placed a camera under the car when pulling away and can see the entire drive shaft judder when pulling away.
I was expecting to have a little of that with the aftermarket clutch, as lots of people running cerametallic discs say that it is a characteristic of the disc material. I never had that problem with my factory clutch though.

As for the driveshaft, some of that could possibly be caused by the 2 piece design. I switched to a Steeda 1 piece aluminum driveshaft which is supposed to be filled with foam to prevent vibration and noise. It’s been nice and smooth and I’m glad I have it.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Yep.
Stock clutch?