Sponsored

Share Your Joyrides During COVID_19 Isolation

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I haven't been able to hit the track lately, so I went out the other morning on a run to the desert through the mountains while it was still in track form. Warmed up the brakes and tires leading up to it, dialed in the pressures and gave it hell. It was glorious and totally illegal had it not been in Mexico.
upload_2020-3-29_21-49-42.png
Man, that looks like a blast!
I can only imagine how awesome that area must be during the summer!! Enjoy.
Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I started reading this thread yesterday, and the weather was perfect for a ride, but I had things that needed to get done, and they were Mustang related, so the ride had to wait.

myboostedgst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I'll be the one to say it, since I am sure there are others but they don't want to be ridiculed.

I'm conflicted on what to do. I am supposed to get my car out of storage (3+ hours away) which means traveling across the state. Our governor has put a "Safer at home" order in effect until late April. This means that you should only travel for essential purposes. The phrasing was chosen because it is not mandatory that you must stay home, but they are starting to treat it as mandatory. Irregardless of the mandate, science has proven that staying at home reduces the risk and helps to slow the spread. I'm not getting in "Constitutional or not" discussions, I'm just speaking scientifically about the spread of viruses.

Taking joyrides for the sake of joyrides does not inherently post more risk. But what about everything associated with it? Unnecessary stops at gas stations? Getting pulled over? Risking an accident? If you simply do not take "joy rides" all of those risks become a 0% in that specific instance. Are we not adult enough to stay at home for a few weeks/months to prevent further spread? Its the old idea of "it wont happen to me". It's the same as mountain biking which I am heavily involved with. Getting out on the trails is good, fresh air, keeping distance, etc. But what about if I have a bad crash and need medical attention? Now I am taking space/time away from Covid-19 patients that need the help.

Everyone has the right to do whatever they want to, that's the perk of living in the good ole USA (for those of us that do). But it does become a question of morals. Is my need for some fun time in a vehicle worth the risk that I could contribute the spread of this virus? I'm not sure when I am going to get my car, but I am getting eager. It's been 5+ months since I have seen it, and the weather is just about nice enough to start driving it here in the Midwest.

w0rmwood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I'll be the one to say it, since I am sure there are others but they don't want to be ridiculed.

I'm conflicted on what to do. I am supposed to get my car out of storage (3+ hours away) which means traveling across the state. Our governor has put a "Safer at home" order in effect until late April. This means that you should only travel for essential purposes. The phrasing was chosen because it is not mandatory that you must stay home, but they are starting to treat it as mandatory. Irregardless of the mandate, science has proven that staying at home reduces the risk and helps to slow the spread. I'm not getting in "Constitutional or not" discussions, I'm just speaking scientifically about the spread of viruses.

Taking joyrides for the sake of joyrides does not inherently post more risk. But what about everything associated with it? Unnecessary stops at gas stations? Getting pulled over? Risking an accident? If you simply do not take "joy rides" all of those risks become a 0% in that specific instance. Are we not adult enough to stay at home for a few weeks/months to prevent further spread? Its the old idea of "it wont happen to me". It's the same as mountain biking which I am heavily involved with. Getting out on the trails is good, fresh air, keeping distance, etc. But what about if I have a bad crash and need medical attention? Now I am taking space/time away from Covid-19 patients that need the help.

Everyone has the right to do whatever they want to, that's the perk of living in the good ole USA (for those of us that do). But it does become a question of morals. Is my need for some fun time in a vehicle worth the risk that I could contribute the spread of this virus? I'm not sure when I am going to get my car, but I am getting eager. It's been 5+ months since I have seen it, and the weather is just about nice enough to start driving it here in the Midwest.
I think that’s a fantastic question to ask, and you make some great points. I am unfortunately a pessimist through this whole ordeal... or maybe a realist, at this point, so here is how I would justify a joyride:

It’s going to get much worse before it gets better. I honestly hope I’m wrong, but I predict in coming weeks to months, many of us may not have the privilege to even consider a joyride, as states make stricter measures in response to the spread of the virus. I have a coworker in Hawaii who was telling me people out driving are getting up to $5k in fines if they’re caught traveling for non-essential things... I am hoping this is something that won’t catch on, but I could see other states quickly adopting similar measures, if they haven’t already:
https://health.hawaii.gov/news/corona-virus/covid-19-daily-update-march-22-2020/

So I’d say to anyone that decides to joyride, please be safe and smart.... but also enjoy the hell out of it while you still can.

Elphaba2017

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Deporhal
Vehicle(s)
MustangGT2017
I am so bored sitting in the house, it is killing me. Has anyone other than me considered just taking the S550 out for a joyride. I know she doesn’t have Coronavirus.
Yeah, totally! My husband and I do it about 2 times a week. We usually drive up the Gorge in Oregon. Beautiful sights.

Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I drove mine to work on Friday - something I rarely do. I also took it out on the weekend to drive it just to pass the boredom. No cool views or anything to share as I stayed in the concrete jungle of Houston. But it felt good to open it up on the roads without much traffic.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
Are we not adult enough to stay at home for a few weeks/months to prevent further spread? Its the old idea of "it wont happen to me".
Are you saying that there are no accidents at home?

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Unnecessary trips to the grocery store are far more risky. Every family needs food, so you get to mingle with a cross section of your entire community when you go. When possible we do the curbside pickup.

My wife and I went for a drive on Saturday and loved it.

I have an “essential” job so still working. Thats more risk as well.

YoungGT18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I am so bored sitting in the house, it is killing me. Has anyone other than me considered just taking the S550 out for a joyride. I know she doesn’t have Coronavirus.
Wife and I took a joy ride yesterday....put about 50 miles on the Mustang riding through the Alabama countryside. We also have a 2006 BMW convertible and we take it out at least once a week.....beautiful warm spring to pass the boredom.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, totally! My husband and I do it about 2 times a week. We usually drive up the Gorge in Oregon. Beautiful sights.
That is such a beautiful part of the country! Saw much of it on a trip I took from LA to Hood River for the Oregon Trail Rally about 8 years ago.

Sponsored

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
This was my last ride just before they shut us down.. We have three Mustangs and this is killing us
IMG_2813.JPG
There is usually a loophole. From the Montana directive:
For outdoor activity. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with social distancing, as defined below, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, running, or biking. Individuals may go to public parks and open outdoor recreation areas, including public lands in Montana provided they remain open to recreation.

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
Vehicle Showcase
If I want to take a drive in my car, I am going to drive it. I have a full tank and 20 gallons in the garage.

myboostedgst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Are you saying that there are no accidents at home?
Nope, I have yet to have a car accident while sitting in my house.

You will be the first to know when it happens.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, I have yet to have a car accident while sitting in my house.

You will be the first to know when it happens.
You can break your leg by simply getting out of bed. I know my wife is capable of doing such a thing. :giggle: