Sponsored

RTR - A warning before purchasing

AgentAlex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Let me start off by saying that maybe I had a one off experience; maybe most people have had great experiences with their RTR purchases. Mine definitely was not.

I ordered the RTR chin spoiler for my 2021 Mustang as I liked the look and it had, supposedly, great reviews (I am now under the assumption that RTR picks only the 5 star reviews to be displayed). After installing, the fitment of the chin spoiler left a lot to be desired. Maybe I had too high of expectations for an aftermarket part but for what this piece of plastic cost and the supposed great reviews, I expected better.

IMG_6562.jpg

IMG_6560.jpg

IMG_6561.jpg

Dealing with RTR's customer service was by far the worst part of this experience. Getting ahold of them is tough. They took days to weeks to respond to emails. They did eventually agree to send me a replacement chin spoiler. It's been over a month since that rely and a replacement (not even an email) has arrived.

Hopefully most people have had better experiences with RTR but this was mine. Yours may vary.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
While you have such frustrations, in your images the margin of error is really not that bad.

Are there very minute gaps between the bumper cover and the installed splitter? Yes. Are these gaps so great that it looks like total crap? No.

Now I'm being totally honest when viewing your pics, because to me - the gaps are not horrendous. I'd be willing to bet if you had not even pointed them out, no one would pick up on it. It's kind of like one of those things that the Owner sees, but the rest of the world would not be able to tell the difference between a factory installed splitter or aftermarket Brand XYZ and if there were "in spec" gaps vs "out of spec" gaps..

Without forcefully trying, can you fit a Nickel or Quarter in those gaps? What about 2?

One other note:
Plastics (abs/urethane) expand and contract with temps. You may get more wiggle room with tightening up the gaps in extremely warm weather. Betcha if you had an extra set of hands and had someone press the splitter towards the bumper and you loosened/tightened the securing fasteners those very minor gaps would be closed more.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Taking into consideration how horseshit fit and finish is on these things from the factory, I'm not seeing much wrong there.....

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with @Cobra Jet , this looks perfectly fine.
You own a mustang, not a Ferrari. You can't expect aerospace grade precision from a mass market car and equivalent aftermarket parts.
(I work in aerospace and to get .001" precision, it costs thousands)

Especially that last picture....are you complaining that it overhangs 1/16th of an inch?? Get over it

OP
OP
AgentAlex

AgentAlex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with @Cobra Jet , this looks perfectly fine.
You own a mustang, not a Ferrari. You can't expect aerospace grade precision from a mass market car and equivalent aftermarket parts.
(I work in aerospace and to get .001" precision, it costs thousands)

Especially that last picture....are you complaining that it overhangs 1/16th of an inch?? Get over it
To address the above and the other comments; being an engineer myself, I fully understand margin of error. I’m not expecting 100% perfection. I’m just wanting something that’s close to OEM figment. From all the reviews and pictures I saw online, this chin spoiler seemed good.

It does look noticeable worse in person compared to the pictures. I agree, it doesn’t look that bad in pictures. The picture do not really illustrate the issues that we’ll. Overall fitment of this chin spoiler was not good.

My biggest issue was not with the product itself, it had to do with RTR customer service.

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
My biggest issue was not with the product itself, it had to do with RTR customer service.
This I completely understand. If this was the point you were making in your original post, I apologize. Did you buy direct from RTR or an online vendor? I've had nothing but amazing customer service from LMR. American Muscle is usually quick to respond as well

OP
OP
AgentAlex

AgentAlex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
This I completely understand. If this was the point you were making in your original post, I apologize. Did you buy direct from RTR or an online vendor? I've had nothing but amazing customer service from LMR. American Muscle is usually quick to respond as well
I ordered directly from RTR as I got a better price compared to American Muscle. In hindsight, should have just spent the extra $20 and ordered from American Muscle.

RTR077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT RTR Spec 1
I have the RTR spec 1 which includes the same front end/chin spoiler. Also have similar small gaps which up until now, I never noticed. Sorry to hear the customer service is unresponsive.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Taking into consideration how horseshit fit and finish is on these things from the factory, I'm not seeing much wrong there.....
I tend to agree if it fit perfect it wouldn't match the rest of the panels installed by 3 Blind Mice :)

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I tend to agree if it fit perfect it wouldn't match the rest of the panels installed by 3 Blind Mice :)
By my eye, it fits better than the OEM unit on my car. And I'm a fussy engineer too.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Well the fit isn't to bad, considering the OEM ford panels never line up properly, but that finish from the molding process on the chin spoiler.. yikes.