OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
I talked to RPG about the gen 3 block vs the gen 2.. he recommended the gen 3. The Gen-3 block has several improvements over the Gen-2 units, mainly in the bores. First is the increase in bore size from 92.2mm (3.630 inches) to 93mm (3.661 inches). Also, it gets the same plasma-spray cylinder liner as the current GT500 Predator engine. Open deck designs have the coolant channel cast into the top of the deck. The design improves cooling and reduces hot spots in the cylinder.
Plus it has the 12mm headbolts
Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Anybody know any reputable engine builders that over warranty?
I'd take the warranty with a grain of salt. What exactly are they going to cover? You stuff 30lbs of boost down it and crack the block, is that covered? It runs lean and you hurt pistons because you ran injectors that weren't up to the task, is that covered? My guess is there would be a lot of finger pointing when it comes to a warranty claim on an engine making 1000+hp. Just something to think about.

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
I'd take the warranty with a grain of salt. What exactly are they going to cover? You stuff 30lbs of boost down it and crack the block, is that covered? It runs lean and you hurt pistons because you ran injectors that weren't up to the task, is that covered? My guess is there would be a lot of finger pointing when it comes to a warranty claim on an engine making 1000+hp. Just something to think about.
Very true . What do you think about letting RPG put my long block together? Heads, timing chain, cams oil pump etc etc. Whatever tuner he recommends... I'll let them tune it. That way there will be less finger pointing? I didn't go into detail about the warranty but he said a year or 12,000 miles, whatever comes first. I'll ask him what he'll cover.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
7 grand on a short block is the most I'm willing to spend. TKM has a sleeved block for 8 grand but it's not covered under warranty. Will said if I send him my heads and timing chains cams etc etc. He can put everything together and give me a year warranty on the long block for 9 grand. Plus shipping so I'm guessing around 9500 after I pay to ship my heads and etc to him and have everything shipped back..he said for my goals 900hp to 1000hp at the wheel I'll be fine. My main thing is the warranty. Alot of these engines builders won't give u a warranty
Glad I'm following as this is what I'll probably do. Send him my parts and let him put it back together and make sure everything is correct. Crazy how much cheaper it is compare to when I was doing dart blocks, 7721 heads and so on (comparing today's dollars to 10 years ago).

Mghoward74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
S550
Glad I'm following as this is what I'll probably do. Send him my parts and let him put it back together and make sure everything is correct. Crazy how much cheaper it is compare to when I was doing dart blocks, 7721 heads and so on (comparing today's dollars to 10 years ago).
Did you say Dart blocksā€¦.haha
Iā€™m still doing those too

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I talked to RPG about the gen 3 block vs the gen 2.. he recommended the gen 3. The Gen-3 block has several improvements over the Gen-2 units, mainly in the bores. First is the increase in bore size from 92.2mm (3.630 inches) to 93mm (3.661 inches). Also, it gets the same plasma-spray cylinder liner as the current GT500 Predator engine. Open deck designs have the coolant channel cast into the top of the deck. The design improves cooling and reduces hot spots in the cylinder.
And the most important part for him is the gen3 is readily available!

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Dart block prices shot up like crazy. Need a Dart coyote block!!!!

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
For the life of me I don't understand why car guys do this.

You can have cheap, you can have jt fast and you can have it reliable, pick any two.

These "rules of thumb" aren't rock solid. It's like saying "how many people can you fit in a 12' Aluminum boat?" The answer is, it depends. On a pond, close to the dock on a calm day you could probably put a dozen people in that boat before it swamps. In 3-5' swells, you be hard pressed to have more than a couple of maniacs in it without it going to the bottom and even then it's a dice roll.

Point is, how much power a component can handle is a nebulous thing.

Bigger point is, why do car guys always want to run the ragged edge and then act disappointed or surprised when something fails?

If you want to run 1000 rear, you should build the motor to handle 1500. THAT is how any licensed engineer would approach it and how someone who's responsible for the durability or warranty, like a manufacturer, would approach it.

If someone says "how much money would I need for a 3 day weekend trip to Vegas? And someone says, depends on a lot, airfare, food, entertainment, transportation to and from the airport, etc, I'd venture you'd need at least $1200 on the bare bones low end and probably upward of $3k to the middle. Then they say "I've got $1200, let's do this!

Over engineer and under utilize. Even then there are no guarantees, I know everyone's on a budget, but guys that have done it before will tell you, buy once cry once.

Schmidt and Bender is one of the top tier optics makers in the world. They used to have a magazine ad that translated "only a wealthy man can afford to hunt with a cheap scope." Meaning you spend gobs of money getting to your hunting trip only to run out of light or miss your shot because of cheap optics.

Do it once and do it right. If you want a 1000 rwhp, it's a risky proposition to build it all to handle 1000 hp. It's just asking to see the limit and sad face and more money building it right the second time

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
So much this.

Back when I built engines on the side, I would have never considered warrantying a build. Not because of a workmanship issue (I was/am meticulous to a fault) but there are too many variables to even consider warranties on a performance build. Even just random parts failure happens.

Then you just have idiot customers, and there's no other way to put it. I did a snowmobile engine (2-stroke) once, and it came back seized shortly after I had finished it. After teardown, it was readily apparent that the failure was what is called a 4-corner seize; I knew immediately that it wasn't warmed up properly before use. I mentioned it to the customer, and he sheepishly confessed that he was pretty sure his kid had fired it up and started tearing around the yard like a maniac at WOT. Poof.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
So much this.

Back when I built engines on the side, I would have never considered warrantying a build. Not because of a workmanship issue (I was/am meticulous to a fault) but there are too many variables to even consider warranties on a performance build. Even just random parts failure happens.

Then you just have idiot customers, and there's no other way to put it. I did a snowmobile engine (2-stroke) once, and it came back seized shortly after I had finished it. After teardown, it was readily apparent that the failure was what is called a 4-corner seize; I knew immediately that it wasn't warmed up properly before use. I mentioned it to the customer, and he sheepishly confessed that he was pretty sure his kid had fired it up and started tearing around the yard like a maniac at WOT. Poof.
In what scenario would the engine builder disassemble an engine and say, " yup it's all on us, we'll take care of it! ".

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
In what scenario would the engine builder disassemble an engine and say, " yup it's all on us, we'll take care of it! ".
I've seen a builder install the cams on the wrong sides of the head (exhaust vs intake) and thankfully it was noticed before the motor was installed. Kinda hard to argue or resist that when photos and clear cut mistake is made.