Rotten Egg Smell After Hard Acceleration

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
My 19 GT PP1/A10 was purchased new in June of 19, and after 1000 miles when my right foot would get heavy and then let off and drive normal I would experience the rotten egg smell with the window partially rolled down. During normal driving I smell nothing. I just had the FPP resonator delete installed and it seems to be worse.
The car only has 8800 miles and although I'd like to run E85 or even 93, nothing is available in Arizona.
Has anyone else had this issue?
Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Sulfur in our gas.

Europe has true low sulfur. Usa is low sulphur averaged out across a batch or certain quantities.

I get the smell, but goes away 100% with e85. Comes right back first tank of pump gas though. Only at WOT.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Sulfur in our gas.

Europe has true low sulfur. Usa is low sulphur averaged out across a batch or certain quantities.

I get the smell, but goes away 100% with e85. Comes right back first tank of pump gas though. Only at WOT.
Yeah I get the sulphur smell on hard pulls too. Dealer told its from the gas reminds of the smell of gutted cats on cars.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Here is my take on the rotten egg smell. Back when emission controls were being refined it was determined that some of the worst types pollution was from excess fuel which was not burned well enough in the engines combustion chambers. Those sorts of pollution were much reduced when fuel injection came along using computer control along with the catalytic converter (cats) which further reduces pollutants by hot burning any excess volatile compounds which get past the engine.
I think of the cats as a stove. The way the cats are made and what they are made of will burn those volatile compounds at high temperatures and so will be more complete combustion which gives less of the bad pollutants out the tail pipes.
At WOT there is a lot of fuel being dumped into the cylinders (a rich mixture)and there can be incomplete combustion which lets some of the fuel get into the cats. The cats act like a stove using that excess gas as fuel and they get hot. Get a big enough amount of excess fuel into a cat and a byproduct is hydrogen sulfide which smells like rotten eggs.
This is not a big problem unless the tune is running rich too much or too often. A factory tune ought not allow too much rich running. A good aftermarket tune ought not to be any worse.

The O2 sensors are a key to getting the computer good information about how rich or lean the fuel mix may be. So if you get that smell often it might be worth having the O2 sensors checked or changed. They are in the hot flow of the exhaust and do need to be changed from time to time. One clue might be a decrease in MPG's.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Seeing as how you only smell it after you get on the gas I'm guessing it's the cats your smelling too. I smell them after every hard pull when I'm on pump gas. I'd describe it as burnt popcorn though, not rotten eggs.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I get the sulphur smell on hard pulls too. Dealer told its from the gas reminds of the smell of gutted cats on cars.

That's true, service manual suggest changing brand of fuel

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I get that smell on a hard pull with the windows up, always have...

OP
OP
olerodder

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
The car runs great and has turned an 11.93 @ 117 in the quarter and the wide AF meter as does the vacuum gauge reads as it should. With only 8800 miles I doubt anything is wrong with the 02 sensors, so I guess if other people are having the same issue I won't let it bother me and keep the window rolled up on WOT jaunts.
Thanks for the replys.

moses19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moses
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
I get a similar smell as well every now and then when doing a hard pull. From what i've read it's probably not much to worry about, but it did scare me the first time it happened.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
Is this with a passenger? Maybe you're scaring the sulfer out of them. :crazy:

Sponsored
OP
OP
olerodder

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
Is this with a passenger? Maybe you're scaring the sulfer out of them. :crazy:
No, I don't drive WOT if someone is in the Co-Pilots seat, only when I feel the need for speed and I'm by myself. 😜

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
You can also get the rotten egg smell from a vehicle in front of you. I've had that happen to me several times, especially when they just pulled out and accelerate. Or, it happens on this stretch of road I drive where it is a steep uphill.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried a different brand of fuel ?

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Let's play Forensic Detective here and try and figure this out...!
1. Does the smell consistently occur on your way home from Taco Bell after you ordered and consumed multiple Burrito Supreme® with extra re-fried beans?
If Yes: Check your shorts.
If No: What is your wife's name?
2. Did you marry a girl named Suzie from Tempe who went to High School with me? Cuz your description smells like that girl I dated in High School...!
If Yes: Check her shorts.
If No: Was your dog in the car?
3. Have you noticed that when you walk your dog or let him run in the yard that you never need to pick up dog piles?
If Yes: Was your dog in the car, and what does his breath smell like?
If No: I am still working on future Forensic Scenarios.... stay tuned....!!!!!

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
‘19 GT PP1 A10. I have never smelled anything. 30k miles. Windows down 90% of the time.
Sponsored