Sponsored

Ronin Oil Drain Plug

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I use a 3/8 extension bar 24 inches long. Easy to loosen and control the flow from a distance.
Hmm, why didn’t I think of that!

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I'm a nerd too, LOL! I'll get the Fumoto when it's available and probably do the same thing to it.

2E546FA1-1378-4957-9AC1-C20EF5CA52FD_1_201_a.jpeg
Hey, you must've worked on aircraft. We saw lot of such set up in fighter jets in the Air Force.

Sponsored

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Is the Ronin thing drains oil through a hole in the middle?

If so, I only use Fumoto Valve which is made out of metal, Brass I think, in my Jeep Wrangler.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If anyone cares, I got an email from Fumoto today, and I quote...

"Unfortunately, we do not have a plastic valve at this time. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We will be sure to reach out if we plan to come out with a compatible part. Unfortunately, the design did not work as well as expected. Our engineering team is still working on a suitable solution."

They've been working on this for how many years now??

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Never came back to this thread, but since it's back up - my safety-wired Ronin plug popped out of the pan on track in September. I've replaced with an OEM style plastic plug, no problems.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Never came back to this thread, but since it's back up - my safety-wired Ronin plug popped out of the pan on track in September. I've replaced with an OEM style plastic plug, no problems.
That’s now 5 that I’m aware of. Did you inspect the plastic nubs inside the oil pan to make sure they were intact?

After mine shot out on track (also safety wired) I bought a new plastic plug from the auto parts store, refilled with oil, and finished out my track weekend. When I was recounting the story to someone else at the track they asked if the nubs in the oil pan were ok. I told them they must be because the plastic plug was holding just fine.

When I did my post weekend oil change I decided to look inside the pan for sh*ts and giggles. To my horror I discovered that one of the nubs was completely broken off, and the other was damaged. How that plastic plug stayed in there for another 4 hours of track time is a miracle.

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
I wasn't able to look at them at the time (car was smoking hot), but will at next oil change. That was my concern. Plug seemed to seat and snug up well, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I assume you had to replace the oil pan.

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I wasn't able to look at them at the time (car was smoking hot), but will at next oil change. That was my concern. Plug seemed to seat and snug up well, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I assume you had to replace the oil pan.
Understood.

I did indeed.

GT350Keith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
1969 Shelby GT350, 1991 300ZX TT, 2018 GT350
This might be a noob question, but are there any concerns with just staying with the OEM drain plug?

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
This might be a noob question, but are there any concerns with just staying with the OEM drain plug?
Zero. Different aftermarket plugs simply offer a cleaner solution to draining oil from the pan.

There was a long floated rumor going around that the plastic plugs were single use only. However, after ALOT of searching, it turns out the only place that says the plastic plugs are single use is on the Ronin website where it’s used as a selling point. Ford specifically tells techs to inspect the plug and reinstall.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Is the Ronin engagement metal? If so, reason number N to stick with Femco: plastic can't break anything on the car. Even if 100 to 1 or better odds, why take any chance.
Sponsored