Sponsored

1st Oil Change / Drain Plug Options

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
anybody using the fumoto f107 oil drain valve on their GT350 or R? going to be changing out my oil for the first time soon and just wondering if it's worth it or not. I've used fumotos on my other cars but I also know the drain plug on the Shelby is pretty easy to turn and pull out. anyway if anybody has any thoughts on this or experience with the fumoto on the Shelby please chime in.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
anybody using the fumoto f107 oil drain valve on their GT350 or R? going to be changing out my oil for the first time soon and just wondering if it's worth it or not. I've used fumotos on my other cars but I also know the drain plug on the Shelby is pretty easy to turn and pull out. anyway if anybody has any thoughts on this or experience with the fumoto on the Shelby please chime in.
If those have a plastic pan like the 2018+ GTs, you can't use a Fumoto. Femco style valves are better but same issue. Here is a link to a Femco equivalent for the plastic pans that @GTthree50 found:

https://roninfactory.com/collections/ford/products/ford-f150-raptor-oil-drain-ronin-factory

OP
OP
lightrules

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
If those have a plastic pan like the 2018+ GTs, you can't use a Fumoto. Femco style valves are better but same issue. Here is a link to a Femco equivalent for the plastic pans that @GTthree50 found:

https://roninfactory.com/collections/ford/products/ford-f150-raptor-oil-drain-ronin-factory
schnikeys, $80! ok i'll stick with the OEM :frown:

update: after watching that Ronin video, man that is one fancy, schmancy drain plug. very nice. i dont think i want to shell out the $80 for it, but if anyone wants to gift me one, let me know.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yup...I have a Fumoto valve on every other car I own. Greatest thing ever. I went to buy one for this car as soon as my first oil change was coming due. They even show a listing for us, but it is not even remotely close. But like you said, that Ronin piece is pretty darn nice. I may end up pulling the trigger on that after all.

OP
OP
lightrules

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Yup...I have a Fumoto valve on every other car I own. Greatest thing ever. I went to buy one for this car as soon as my first oil change was coming due. They even show a listing for us, but it is not even remotely close. But like you said, that Ronin piece is pretty darn nice. I may end up pulling the trigger on that after all.
yeah, i love those fumotos. i saw their website and it says the F107 works but there is no way, like you said. but i'm trying to weigh the cost-benefit here with the gt350 and the ronin. i havent done an oil change yet (i will in the next week though probably), so i dont know how messy the OEM plug is. seems like it screws out fairly easily and leaves little mess? looks to me like we can remove the plug and not get our hands too messy, so i am leaning toward just staying OEM. and i dont plan to replace that OEM plastic plug every oil change, even though they are only $2.50 each. i think i'll do the 1st oil change and decide after that.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@lightrules I have done three oil changes and the original plug/o-ring is still in without the slightest sight of oil seeping out. People say it's cheap insurance to replace every time (I personally hate that term, but that's a topic for over a beer), but I say there's nothing to insure. It's a cam-lock type contraption with an o-ring...it's not going anywhere! I don't plan on replacing my plug ever unless it gives me a specific reason; signs of leaking, damage, etc.

Draining the pan with the stock plug as you said, does remove easily, but it is actually slightly worse than an oil change with a conventional threaded drain plug. When you go to remove that plug, 10 quarts are coming out and there's nothing you can now do to stop it, LOL. And 10 quarts comes out like nothing else you've ever seen!

The Ronin plug would make for great, clean control draining the pan but if Fumoto is coming out with one for our car, I'll be interested and will wait to see what they offer. And the Fumoto valve may not be as cool, good looking, and billet, but it'll do darn near the same job at a fraction of the cost if they get it right.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Just dropped $80 on the ronin part. Will post back after my first oil change (due now) when I install the fancy part...

Sponsored
OP
OP
lightrules

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
just propped up my Shelby for its first oil change right now, hopefully this is secure enough let me know if it's not. using a hydraulic jack as support but jack stands as primary on each side so there's four total supports on a front end.

by the way the hydraulic jacks are under the steeda jacking rails...

IMG_20190322_150729.jpg

OP
OP
lightrules

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up needing more height, so I went with this set up...

IMG_20190322_161758.jpg

The ramps are only for emergency support, just in case both the jacks and stands fail. I figured I might as well shove them under since they were just sitting there and they could just slide in.

For some reason I still didn't feel safe. Maybe just because it's the first time getting under this car and knowing how low it is on the ground. I'd be interested to know which of you put all 4 wheels in the air using 4 stands. I'd like to see a GT350/R with that set up.

As for the actual oil change, the OEM drain plug came out pretty easy and, yes, the oil just blasts out. I was even worried my oil reservoir wouldn't drain the oil fast enough as it was coming out quickly. The filter was a bit messy, even with the "form a funnel" (Amazon). I'll do better next time.

3 things I'd like to know for you GT350/R owners who do your own oil change...

1) How do you jack your car for changing oil?
2) Do you pour 10 qts, then check your dipstick? Or do you pour 8-9 qts and check?
3) Do you find it hard to "see" the oil level on the stick? With the clean new oil I had a hard time seeing where the oil level was, even after trying 3x.
Sponsored