Sponsored

Ronin Oil Drain Plug

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
A few months old update on the Ronin drain plug... I sold it.

I had been planning on reinstalling my Ronin (after receiving the replacement cap) at my next oil change. But when the time came, I didn't spill a single drop of oil (not even from the filter - which was atypical for me).

After my completely drama free oil change, I decided to just stick with the stock yellow drain plug and I sold the fancy Ronin.

At my next oil change (probably in the new year), I'll try out pilotgore's funnel. Have to see if there is a review thread for that...

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
It’s funny, just 5 minutes ago I got another response from customer service saying of the thousands they’ve sold, I’m one of only three people they know of who’ve lost a cap. Sounds like there’s at least 4 just on this one thread.

You may consider sending customer service a note. I bet they’ll send you an entirely new unit for free…. Which you could install or sell. Just sayin.

Edit: I wonder if simply wrapping tape around it would keep it from backing out? I plan to safety wire mine, but tape would certainly be faster.

You're surprised with the response from that seller ? Come on I give more credit then that.

Have you EVER read, heard of any problem with Fords drain plug............... not one peep .

Seeing the safety wire nice job, must not be a first. However an observation, the plug attachment should be @ 6 o'clock .

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
You're surprised with the response from that seller ? Come on I give more credit then that.

Have you EVER read, heard of any problem with Fords drain plug............... not one peep .

Seeing the safety wire nice job, must not be a first. However an observation, the plug attachment should be @ 6 o'clock .
Well, considering my oil plug was ejected at 120 mph on track during a downshift, I am no longer a fan of Ronin plugs, or any other metal plug in a plastic pan for that matter. After chatting with others, it turns out I’m not the first to lose a metal oil plug on track in the Gt350. Likely has something to do with the vibration of the engine and difference resonance frequencies between the metal plug and plastic oil pan.

9DA65C6F-AA9A-4F1E-B846-59DA004F3918.jpeg

18BFC7D9-2A33-43BC-9CD7-B8BB05C11598.jpeg

051F260D-E0BF-4E29-A233-7E62541EBAAF.jpeg

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
A few months old update on the Ronin drain plug... I sold it.

I had been planning on reinstalling my Ronin (after receiving the replacement cap) at my next oil change. But when the time came, I didn't spill a single drop of oil (not even from the filter - which was atypical for me).

After my completely drama free oil change, I decided to just stick with the stock yellow drain plug and I sold the fancy Ronin.

At my next oil change (probably in the new year), I'll try out pilotgore's funnel. Have to see if there is a review thread for that...
There are a few reviews sprinkled in amongst the many pages of the original thread, but unfortunately they aren’t located in one place. I’d always appreciate a review though if you do feel inclined :)

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Well, considering my oil plug was ejected at 120 mph on track during a downshift, I am no longer a fan of Ronin plugs, or any other metal plug in a plastic pan for that matter. After chatting with others, it turns out I’m not the first to lose a metal oil plug on track in the Gt350. Likely has something to do with the vibration of the engine and difference resonance frequencies between the metal plug and plastic oil pan.
Totally agree 100% :thumbsup:

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Holy crap! That's quite a smokescreen you laid down! That's a great contribution to the community posting up that video. Shocking outcome to say the least.

There are a few reviews sprinkled in amongst the many pages of the original thread, but unfortunately they aren’t located in one place. I’d always appreciate a review though if you do feel inclined :)
No problem - happy to oblige. It will take another couple months or so, and I'm -still- waiting for an oil filter to arrive. Ironically, Amazon won't let me cancel my original filter order... even though they have repeatedly delayed the delivery date.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Holy crap! That's quite a smokescreen you laid down! That's a great contribution to the community posting up that video. Shocking outcome to say the least.

No problem - happy to oblige. It will take another couple months or so, and I'm -still- waiting for an oil filter to arrive. Ironically, Amazon won't let me cancel my original filter order... even though they have repeatedly delayed the delivery date.
When you order Non-Prime most likely it's shipping from China and can take a month or two. Yes you can request cancelation. Go to Track Order and select contact seller and tell them to cancel your order. I had to do this a couple of times when what I wanted was not a prime product. 100% of my request to cancel DID Actually cancel. Good Luck. PS. I safety wire all drain plugs including my Ronin which so far I love. But: The metal pin coming loose, that's a concern.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch

Totally understand. Many forum members have had good luck going to their local ford dealer and ordering from there. I was originally told 2-4 months, and then got a call 3 hrs later saying they got it in stock.

Yeah, the massive smoke screen definitely wasn’t fun. That was my third track day on that oil change, and I was planning to change the oil at the end of the day. The plug definitely didn’t unscrew, which was my first fear, but instead was ejected (as evidence by the missing metal on the ronin where the oil pan nubs sit when installed.) The end result was a broken nub on the inside of my oil pan which ford replaced under warranty, but luckily no engine damage. It’s 100% stock for me from now on… it’s not worth a potential warranty issue should it happen again.

Last edited:

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Yeah, the massive smoke screen definitely wasn’t fun. That was my third track day on that oil change, and I was planning to change the oil at the end of the day. The plug definitely didn’t unscrew, which was my first fear, but instead was ejected (as evidence by the missing metal on the ronin where the oil pan nubs sit when installed.) The end result was a broken nub on the inside of my oil pan which ford replaced under warranty, but luckily no engine damage. It’s 100% stock for me from now on… it’s not worth a potential warranty issue should it happen again.
Like many others, my first oil change on the 350 was very messy, saved only by the massive piece of cardboard I thought was overkill. Has anyone found a trustworthy alternative for a track-driven 350?

@pilotgore If not, can you share your process for capturing the flood of oil when the OE plug comes out? Pan type, location, etc. I thank you. My driveway thanks you.

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Like many others, my first oil change on the 350 was very messy, saved only by the massive piece of cardboard I thought was overkill. Has anyone found a trustworthy alternative for a track-driven 350?

@pilotgore If not, can you share your process for capturing the flood of oil when the OE plug comes out? Pan type, location, etc. I thank you. My driveway thanks you.
Honestly, I don’t have a magic bullet so to speak. For when I change oil on the ground, I bought the biggest rectangular oil drain pan available at autozone. Underneath that I’ll use a drip pan like this, which can also be purchased at most auto parts stores: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MCXOR...&pd_rd_r=a71c1c0e-28cc-4e3c-95b8-82e058170ed6

I set the edge of the oil drain pan an inch or two forward of the oil plug location. Loosed the oil plug while applying forward pressure until it’s fully unscrewed . Since you’ve been holding pressure on the plug, there should be no oil coming out. Then, yank the plug back quickly and let it do its thing. After the flow has started to slow, I’ll readjust the oil drain pan to be further underneath the cars oil pan by maybe a foot or so.

Hope this helps.

Booboo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robin
Vehicle(s)
2020 PB GT350
Just back out the stock yellow plug SLOWLY, not all at once. That will control the flow nicely. you could catch the oil with a water bottle (exaggeration) it comes out so smoothly.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Just back out the stock yellow plug SLOWLY, not all at once. That will control the flow nicely. you could catch the oil with a water bottle (exaggeration) it comes out so smoothly.
For sure! I employed the all at once method (by mistake) the first time I did it. Surprising speed, splashing overshot the drain pan a little. It was a mess.

It was tight, and then it was swept away in a flood of hot oil. Do you all loosen and remove by hand? Use pliers to break loose?