Rocker panel function?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I've had the car to top speed with and without the rock guards in front of the rocker panels and didn't notice a difference at all in how the car performs. I've never had the whole rocker panel assembly off the car for testing so I cant say for sure. I think that would be the only valid comparison.

Tom, I have read various top end speeds for an R model and am curious as to what speed you were able to achieve with your TY car assuming that was the R that you achieved it in?

Secondly, would you suggest any difference in top end speed between an R model and a Track Pack car?

:cheers:
175.3 is what race render recorded using gps off my phone. It might have had a little more (maybe 180 if you stood on it until fuel cutout). Right about the time you cross the finish line in Daytona on the front stretch, its time to start thinking about turn 1 into the infield.

picture.jpg
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm guessing the R has a lower top speed (vs track pack) given the extra downforce (drag) produced from the larger rear wing and front splitter.
I don't agree. my limit was RPM redline in 5th gear.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
175.3 is what race render recorded using gps off my phone. It might have had a little more (maybe 180 if you stood on it until fuel cutout). Right about the time you cross the finish line in Daytona on the front stretch, its time to start thinking about turn 1 into the infield.

picture.jpg
Very impressive and appreciate the detailed post.

At 175 MPH did your car feel quite stable and what kind of tire pressure (F&R) were you running during that event?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I believe both cars are drag limited at top of 5th gear. Haven't seen instrumented tests, but if the first statement is true, the non-R should have a ~1% higher top speed due to the effective gearing change of the taller tires.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I just looked at the photo I took of the GT350R on the rotisserie display at Laguna Seca in 2015. Ford had a sign describing it as part of the "wheel area exhaust vent."

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I just looked at the photo I took of the GT350R on the rotisserie display at Laguna Seca in 2015. Ford had a sign describing it as part of the "wheel area exhaust vent."
Yup, just like on the Ford GT it's an area for that air around the wheel to exit.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I remember in the mid-70's when Ford added a tiny lip to the trunklid of the LTD. Although barely visible to the naked eye it resulted in a fuel mileage improvement of several tenths of a percent according to EPA testing. Now THAT is ludicrous.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I believe both cars are drag limited at top of 5th gear. Haven't seen instrumented tests, but if the first statement is true, the non-R should have a ~1% higher top speed due to the effective gearing change of the taller tires.
Great point with respect to tire height and how it affects either acceleration times and/or top end speed as should have remember that from my early drag racing days.

Just finished measuring the tire height on my Track Pack car versus the R model with the Track Pack tire height measuring 3% taller than the R model.

Not sure if that would equate to a top end of ~180 MPH for the Track Pack car subject to being able to redline at 8250 in 5th gear but I am sure that someone much smarter than me can confirm what the final result may be?

;)

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
I'm guessing the R has a lower top speed (vs track pack) given the extra downforce (drag) produced from the larger rear wing and front splitter.
thats the shorter tires resulting in shorter gearing.

As for the gap, it definitely does something, look closely at the GT350 that blew an oil line on track and was blowing flames out the wheel well. You can see exactly what it does in one of the stills. I'm sure the difference in drag is trivial to the normal track day person, but they were building this as the base for a race car. Plus it was already bad enough in the EPA tests, might as well take a tiny bonus to highway MPG if you are already chasing the lower drag for a race car on the banking of Daytona

OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
I wonder if its more of an mpg design...My C7 had these tiny flaps infront of the front wheels...supposedly it helped achieve a few more mpg. I took them off since they looked goofy, and would cause scraping sounds everywhere (even if they are pliable rubber). I noticed a drop of about 1-2 mpg during long highway cruises.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Style and looks. Doesn't do anything beneficial.
Sponsored