Sponsored

Rattling Rocker

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Since I brought home my car I had an annoying rattle at around 55-60mph on the driver’s side. I figured I would just find it myself rather than run it back to the dealer for every noise. When I was under the car installing the jacking rails I did a quick visual to see if everything looked proper when low and behold I noticed the plastic rocker trim’s push pins had never been seated. They were all in their hole, but lose. I pushed them all in and went for a drive. No more rattle. I got real lucky on that one and someone must have been rushed at the factory that day. Might be worthwhile to stick your hand into those attachment wells and make sure your pins are all seated if you hear some strange rattling going on.
Sponsored

Khyron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Hmm.. I have noticed a similar sound at about the same MPH. I will have to check this! It sort of sounds like something loose inside the door. Thanks for the heads up!

OP
OP
key01

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is exactly what it sounds like. I initially thought it was the trim for the air relief in the body panel, but that was solid.

Khyron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Well how about that... The 2 front most push pins on the driver side were just dangling loose. I pushed them back in and fully expect that was what I was hearing. The weather is too nasty here right now for a test drive.

I did notice after pushing them back in, that if I grabbed the rocker and kind of shook it up and down, the pins seemed to get loosed a bit. I might end up having to pick up a couple new ones if the stock ones are worn.

Thanks again!

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I have an annoying rattle (sounds like plastic hitting metal) above 60 Mph on passenger side.... Was this plastic rocker the shield under the car ? Mine seems to be on top somewhere.

Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
key01

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, it’s the textured plastic part of the rocker running under the side up to the pinch weld. Stick your hand under it and feel for the open areas where the push pins reside. If they are lose you will know right away. Man, I hope you don’t have a lose wire or something bouncing around above your headliner.

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
Similar thread btw in the issues thread...a few of us with 2017 GT's where at least one of the rocker trim pins wasn't pushed all the way in. Makes a really annoying rattle at or around 100km/h!

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Well well. I have the same rattle on passenger side up around 50-60 mph. After reading this thread I checked the push pins. 3 were hanging down loose. Haven’t taken it for a drive yet but I’m hoping this solves the problem. All on drivers side were fine.

Khyron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
The weather was just fair enough that I was able to get her out tonight, and I am very happy to report that the rattle is now GONE! It was the push pins all along.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Since I brought home my car I had an annoying rattle at around 55-60mph on the driver’s side. I figured I would just find it myself rather than run it back to the dealer for every noise. When I was under the car installing the jacking rails I did a quick visual to see if everything looked proper when low and behold I noticed the plastic rocker trim’s push pins had never been seated. They were all in their hole, but lose. I pushed them all in and went for a drive. No more rattle. I got real lucky on that one and someone must have been rushed at the factory that day. Might be worthwhile to stick your hand into those attachment wells and make sure your pins are all seated if you hear some strange rattling going on.
Nice job finding these! At least they only forgot to push the pins all the way. For my car they forgot to install more than half of the bolts holding the belly pan to the chassis and the thing was hanging and scraping all over - and yes I got a new belly pan from the dealer after this but that shows you the level QC than happens (or rather not) on the Ford production lines.

EDIT: I decided to check these as well. Driver side check, passenger side 2 loose one missing altogether. Does anybody know the part number so I can put that in there (is it W707889-S300)?
Sponsored

Last edited: