Sponsored

Rock Chips Anyone?

ivanuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 Ecoboost, 2016 Mag Trk GT350 On order
After two track days and 1500 miles of freeway driving, I have more rock chips than I can keep track. I should have gone with clear bra sooner, but I got it on there now.
Sponsored

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
After two track days and 1500 miles of freeway driving, I have more rock chips than I can keep track. I should have gone with clear bra sooner, but I got it on there now.
How are the chips looking with the bra laid on top? Any dips?

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
It may be helpful to document the damage with pictures, milage and dates if some sort of pressure needs applied to Ford in the future, especially as a group. If the damage keeps happening at the same rate, the front bumper is going to be practically paintless in 20-30k miles.

OMGPonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Track Pack
It may be helpful to document the damage with pictures, milage and dates if some sort of pressure needs applied to Ford in the future, especially as a group. If the damage keeps happening at the same rate, the front bumper is going to be practically paintless in 20-30k miles.
This is exactly the case I'm planning to make to Ford soon. I expect at the current rate damage is happening that I'll be needing essentially a full car repaint by 20-30k miles. With rock damage already on my hood, fender, and roof in addition to the cracked and chipped paint that came from the factory on both bumpers... the future doesn't look positive. :mad:

Wichard20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In search of a R
What did the xpel run you guys that got it done? No worries of yellowing?
Prices are all over and depend on your area and installer. Full frontal coverage usually varies around $750-$3k. The new films are much better then the old stuff. The new ones have some self healing properties, 10 year warranty against yellowing, etc. If you have a good installer you will not be able to tell a clear bra is installed.

Sponsored

ivanuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 Ecoboost, 2016 Mag Trk GT350 On order
How are the chips looking with the bra laid on top? Any dips?
I'll report back once I pick up the car on Saturday. I got the paint touched up so it may not look that bad.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I thought everyone was waterborne paints now? I say this but I just looked at a 2015 Viper and the paint on that car was perfect - glass-smooth, NO orange peel at all. I've read that one of the issues with waterborne is they have a lot of orange peel.

Wichard20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In search of a R
I thought everyone was waterborne paints now? I say this but I just looked at a 2015 Viper and the paint on that car was perfect - glass-smooth, NO orange peel at all. I've read that one of the issues with waterborne is they have a lot of orange peel.
I believe the Viper is hand painted, my detailer has detailed couple vipers and and has said how good the paint is

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
What did the xpel run you guys that got it done? No worries of yellowing?
I paid $750 for what I had done. It has a 10 year warranty, so I don't see a reason to worry.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
750 is way reasonable. As long as it is under 1k I can deal with it.

I will have the dealer touch up the rock chips when they do the paint booger on the hood. Then I will take it straight over to have the clear bra installed.

Looks like this will be a must for all current and soon to be GT350 owners.

Can anyone speak to what happens when this product is removed? Will it peel off the vinyl stripes or cause them to lift?

Sponsored

Obrien455

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Gt350 shadow black, stripe delete, tech packag
Same story with my car...mysterious rock chips popping up everywhere and paint boogers under hood by headlights. Hoping ford will man up and take care of it. My 09 f150 gets ridden pretty hard and it doesnt have a single chip on it so what gives?

Essex Wire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg
+1 for unexpected rock chips. I've got them on hood and side of car in front of rear fender flares. The paint seems microscopically thin.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
We might do well to compile a list of owner names and vin/Chassis #'s that are having these problems. I will call ford performance to tell them the issues we are experiencing and maybe they will take action to avoid bad PR

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
I will have the dealer touch up the rock chips when they do the paint booger on the hood. Then I will take it straight over to have the clear bra installed.
I asked my dealer to fix my rock chips. They said they would only respray the hood. I refused.
Sponsored