Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
So I have logged about 260 miles on the car so far. I did some detailing in the garage tonight and noticed the car has already started to get rock chips. I found one on the hood, one on the driver door, and two on the front bumper. I haven't purchased a new car before, but I can not recall any car I've owned previously getting chips so easy.

I haven't taken the car off road or driven behind many/any big rigs. And with only 260 miles I did not expect to find so many, even if they are small. Anyone else noticing rock chips on their ride yet? Is it thin paint or just me being unlucky.
Sponsored

OMGPonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Track Pack
So I have logged about 260 miles on the car so far. I did some detailing in the garage tonight and noticed the car has already started to get rock chips. I found one on the hood, one on the driver door, and two on the front bumper. I haven't purchased a new car before, but I can not recall any car I've owned previously getting chips so easy.

I haven't taken the car off road or driven behind many/any big rigs. And with only 260 miles I did not expect to find so many, even if they are small. Anyone else noticing rock chips on their ride yet? Is it thin paint or just me being unlucky.
Same with my car. Already 3 serious rock chips while my other cars I've owned for years have none or fewer. The paint seems very thin, and maybe not stuck to the body properly as all of my chips are very cleanly stripped down to the sealed body.

AndrewJackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Shadow Black
Literally as soon as I got on the highway driving away from the dealership a decent sized rock smacked my windshield and put a huge dent in it. Luckily it's out of view.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Dr. Colorchip

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
World's most susceptible-to-rocks front-end. No idea what the deal is with Flat Rock the last few years but I think they're only spraying a few microns thick of paint. It wouldn't surprise me to see some sort of class action to get them to try and warranty any unreasonable amount of paint degradation. I've simply never seen another car that's so easy to damage the paint on.

Sponsored

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
Thin paint is probably done as a cost saving measure as much as anything. When my car gets detailed I am going have them put a paint thickness meter on it and see how thin it actually is. Another reason why I am happy to have a Xpel ultimate clear vinyl done on the front clip

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The chips I have on the hood and door are to the bare metal. It would appear the paint is really thin. My car is going in to have one of the paint boogers handled. I am going to request that handle the other chips, then I guess it's straight over to have a clear bra put on.

Kind of upsetting to see the paint is so weak. I don't think I have had a complaint about the car until now.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Paint on the fusion I had was terrible too. Bubbled from underneath. Fixed by Ford well outside of warranty with zero pushback. Fortunately the Raptor has held up very well.

I suspect we will all be getting repaints of the hood by Ford if we want, until then I'm just going to Dr. Colorchip it

Last edited:

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
Ahh, the beauty of waterborne paint. Blame the EPA, fellas. It's cheap, it's thin but the tree-huggers seem to love it.

Give me the days of some thick, single-stage baked enamel any day. Single-stage can take a scratch too, unlike the clear coats of today.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
My 93 is mostly original paint and at 23 years old, it's in pretty good shape - almost zero rock chips. The panel alignment on a fox body is another story.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I already got 2 minute chips on windshield

chrisgonzales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic [wrap'd grey] GT Premium PP
Yea just under 1500 I had one the hood, drivers door and a few on the front. Some thin paint. Only had it since Oct love detailing my car except for when I find new chips. Just got my Dr. Colorchip kit when it warms up gonna try it out.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah the paint and glass on newer cars doesn't seem to be as good as they used to be. I blame government regulations more so than Ford. My 2015 GT had a lot of chips already when I traded it. That was one of the reasons I went with XPel on the front of my GT350, including A pillars, headlights, rear view mirrors and the leading edge of the roof.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
What did the xpel run you guys that got it done? No worries of yellowing?
Sponsored