Sponsored

Rock chips next to rear plate

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm going to take it in for first service soon, oil change and couple warranty issues. I'll ask them about it, say I'm not aware of the cause.. ask about defects etc.

I've now taken it through big and little tujunga canyons in Los angeles, and if you've driven those you know there is a ton of small rocks/debris on those canyon roads.

The first time thru, I had the gurney flap on it. And also for about 200 miles of some freeway driving. Maybe it was from higher speed gurney flap time? Not sure.

This last time I didn't have the flap on, and I don't see a big difference in the bumper but I swear there are a couple more. You hear it constantly pinging rocks off of "something" as you drive those roads. Rocks are kicking up and making contact somewhere.. that part is obvious.

Since it's on both sides and above the aero exits I know it's not from where it's parked, but yea sure seems odd.
How about this? Put masking tape over the (clean) rear paint and go for another drive on the same roads that might have caused the damage in the first place. See if the tape takes any damage. If all it is is dusty, then the damage is a paint defect. It tape gets dinged up then it's the aero doing it. The best part is you get to drive those roads again and you don't have to worry about damage :like:
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Old thread I know but it was on a link that popped up ...

If the vacuum is powerful enough suck debris backwards how the hell is hot air supposed to exit that vent from the cooler ?

WD :like:

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
you would be defying the laws of physics if that scenario of the car causing a vacuum was the case.

that got there while your car was parked OR it's some sort of paint defect.

what did the dealership say?

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
I've had damage that looked just like that before from a careless landscaping crew at work.

After they spent $3k to repaint my car they would only do their work on evenings or weekends when the lots were empty.

Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
I've had damage that looked just like that before from a careless landscaping crew at work.

After they spent $3k to repaint my car they would only do their work on evenings or weekends when the lots were empty.
How did you go about Holding them accountable ?? Did you have video of them mowing near your car and causing the damage?

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
How did you go about Holding them accountable ?? Did you have video of them mowing near your car and causing the damage?
I had a pristine Evo IX SE with 23k miles on it. Paint and overall car were spotless. Decided to drive it to work since the weather was nice and parked way in the back of the lot next to a curb to protect a side.

Came out at the end of the day to find the side of it completely blasted with grass. Took a picture of it covered in grass to send to my buddy as "Look at this BS" picture.

Went home and washed the car and as I was drying it I found thousands of little chips in the paint on the passenger side of the rear bumper, spoiler, rim, quarter panel, rear door, front door, and rocker panel.

Drive it back in the next day and parked in the same spot and called the facility guy who came out and saw the damage and the scalped grass next to where I parked. Showed him the picture of the car covered in grass from the day before. He called the contracts person out and they all spent 30 minutes looking at one side of the car then the other. Contracts person said she would call the landscaping company and she'd get back to me.

I went and got an estimate to fix the damage and sent it to the contract person. Waited a few weeks following up occasionally then decided to call the landscaping company directly.

I explained to the receptionist who I was and she put me through to the president of the company. I told her what happened and she said to send the estimate in and they'd cover it. Got the check next week and had the Evo repainted and the wheel replaced.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
I had a pristine Evo IX SE with 23k miles on it. Paint and overall car were spotless. Decided to drive it to work since the weather was nice and parked way in the back of the lot next to a curb to protect a side.

Came out at the end of the day to find the side of it completely blasted with grass. Took a picture of it covered in grass to send to my buddy as "Look at this BS" picture.

Went home and washed the car and as I was drying it I found thousands of little chips in the paint on the passenger side of the rear bumper, spoiler, rim, quarter panel, rear door, front door, and rocker panel.

Drive it back in the next day and parked in the same spot and called the facility guy who came out and saw the damage and the scalped grass next to where I parked. Showed him the picture of the car covered in grass from the day before. He called the contracts person out and they all spent 30 minutes looking at one side of the car then the other. Contracts person said she would call the landscaping company and she'd get back to me.

I went and got an estimate to fix the damage and sent it to the contract person. Waited a few weeks following up occasionally then decided to call the landscaping company directly.

I explained to the receptionist who I was and she put me through to the president of the company. I told her what happened and she said to send the estimate in and they'd cover it. Got the check next week and had the Evo repainted and the wheel replaced.
Wow!!!! That sounds like the perfect scenario !! You got lucky.
I can’t imagine your smooth process and outcome to be the norm. That mowing company is a Stand up company.
glad they did you right.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

Same thing happened to my 2011 V6. Except the landscaping company ghosted me and I did not have the energy to purse it any further. I ended up trading the car in shortly thereafter anyway.
Sponsored