Road Trip worthy?

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I'm having a hard time believing there were 300 miles between gas stations, though? If there is such a route, I'd like to know it so I can prepare! I'm doing a Houston to L.A. run this summer (with various stops), so I'd like to know of any crazy long stretches before I get there! However, my nights will be spent in hotels and I prefer to check in no later than 9:00, so no plans to drive over night. It's a long trip from Houston to L.A. , but we plan to do it over 10-12 days with various stops including the Grand Canyon. My strategy in more remote areas would be to fill up at 1/2 tank, even if I don't think I'll need it.
Like say, it wasn't a stretch of 300 miles without gas. It was probably closer to ~100, but on the tail end of having 150 miles in a tank and 300 to go, coming out of Oklahoma. Had I known the next hundred miles would be near completely empty, I'd have probably stopped and filled up and made the gas tank little more than something to top up with once I arrived at my destination.

You oughta be fine doing 1/2 fill-ups. Good luck on the trip!
Sponsored

Jason304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 2016 Ram 2500 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Drove mine approximately 3400 miles round trip from central WV to McAllen TX on the factory Cup2’s. No issues, but wouldn’t do it again on those tires.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Great car for road trips. I find it more comfortable than my Cadillac.

Almost half the miles on my Mustang are 1,000 mile days.

Below is from one round trip from Phoenix to Detroit and back. Four 1,000 mile days and another 1000 over 2 or 3 days in Detroit with side trips. Have done that 3 or 4 times plus one or two trips to the Tetons and one to Casper for the eclipse.

1645746443951.png

jcttraveler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Convertible 2019
I drove from DC to San Diego and back last summer. I didn't have too much time so put in some 10-14 hr days exclusively on Interstates. Even so, it was good fun. Hills and traffic are so much easier to deal with when you have 460+ horsepower. Road noise in my convertible is more than the coupe, but I like it. Like me, you will chip your paint, and probably chip your windshield (eventually), but unless you leave it in the garage, that stuff is going to happen.

Fuel will be expensive. I usually run premium, but put in regular during a couple of stops because I was shocked at the price (and didn't do as well as I should have mapping out my stops.) You'll probably stop often enough for gas that you won't require a small cooler of snacks or drinks, but something to think about.

As for accessories, plug in your phone and plug your destination into google maps or waze, download some audiobooks and put that entertainment system to work for you.

I'm driving to South Florida in a few days. A quick 15 hr trip. I can't wait. I installed a trailer hitch soon after I bought the car to mount my bike rack.

In both cases, flying was probably the best option (cheaper and much quicker), but I love road trips in this car.)

Last edited:

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Didn’t read all of the replies but absolutely positively do not forget a spare tire your tire inflation kit will let you down if you have a genuine blow out and then you’re losing an entire day farting around trying to get a new tire that nobody will stock locally, Never mind the thousand dollar toll and the four hour wait for a tow truck

Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I’ll be taking my 2021 GT on a road trip from Northern California to Dallas next month with my wife. We have 245/40/19 Pirellis which are decently comfy. We enjoy long drives in our Trail Boss but haven’t taken one of our sports car for anything longer than a 4 hour drive. How comfy is the Mustang on long drives? Any items or accessories for long drives? We are going to get the clear bra and also ceramic tint done to cut down on the heat.
I have done multiple long trips with my Bullitt and it's awesome.
We did a 2,000mi road trip (1k miles each way) from OH to ND, myself + the wife + dog on the back seats, total comfort.
I've done multiple trips of 450-700 miles without an issue also. The seats (at least in mine) are great, heating and cooling (although not great cooling) are nice addition. I don't miss adaptive cruise either.

rorrerjp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach 1
I've driven my mach 1 with recaro for 8+ hours non stop without any issues. I have magnetic ride and leave it in normal mode. Don't know how soft that ride is compared to a gt

jmorris47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I have taken my 2019 supercharged PPL2 from Northwest Fl to Jackson Michigan twice and found it to be a GREAT road car. The car has all the options except the Recaro seats. It was just me, my bride, one large and one small suitcase.

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
Last weekend, drove from home to Charlotte NC (about 8 1/2 hrs) and back in a long weekend to see an Eagles concert; wasn't my first 8+ hour ride in the Mustang, I have the base cloth seats and find them very comfortable; I think my wife prefers it to her 2015 Cherokee for long trips (as long as just the 2 of us).

IndyCarFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic Metallic Mustang GT Premium Convertble
We drove ours on a three week road trip from Denver to Jasper, Alberta and back. We had plenty of room and it was plenty comfortable. We're currently planning a trip from Denver to San Francisco, up the coast to Seattle, and back to Denver. So, yeah, we really enjoy road tripping in it.

Sponsored

Jazzman0718

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fitz
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback. 2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
After buying my GT vert, I spent like 2 months driving exclusively with the top down. After agreeing to meet a buddy about 45 minutes away, rain moved in. I had to do 20 or so highway miles home in light drizzle at night.

Now this may because my daily is a civic hatch (booming cabin) but when I put the exhaust into quiet mode, the ride with the top up at 70 mph was near-sublime! The premium trim (non Recaro) seats are really great at holding you in without gripping you. The coupe must be even better. It's so great to have a rip roaring top-down ride transform into a quiet highway cruiser. I'd take it farther if I had paint chip repair skills.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I bought mine brand new about 600 miles away, flew out in the morning, left dealer around noon and had one the best first drives home that same day. Plenty comfortable and quiet on the road.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I’ll be taking my 2021 GT on a road trip from Northern California to Dallas next month with my wife. We have 245/40/19 Pirellis which are decently comfy. We enjoy long drives in our Trail Boss but haven’t taken one of our sports car for anything longer than a 4 hour drive. How comfy is the Mustang on long drives? Any items or accessories for long drives? We are going to get the clear bra and also ceramic tint done to cut down on the heat.
I would think that even if your car had a PP1 or PP2 it still would be fine. These two options would add some stiffness to the ride, but it all boils down to what you think comfortable means. I have stiffer Steeda Springs and 305-30-19 tires, so shorter sidewall and my wife and I have logged 3 hours plus from Pittsburgh to Carlisle without issue. Condition of the roads will also factor in.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
When I took delivery of my Mustang in March 2017 (I cant believe it has been that long!), I took two weeks annual leave to get to know my new car. I had it for a few days before embarking on a 800 mile round trip to see some relatives on the coast.

Drove it out of the showroom, got to know it a bit then hit the road.

IMG-0397.jpg

IMG-0406.jpg

IMG-0410.jpg

The drive to Merimbula takes me about 7 hours of non-stop driving and takes me along the Snowy Mountains hwy, a seriously beautiful road to fang. Plenty of corners, fast and slow, and V8 engine sitting up front, you can imagine it was a moment of sheer joy.

Comfortable seats, plenty of power, quiet cabin and a nice sound system to listen to. What I liked about the trip was that it allowed me to bond with the car. Compared to other new cars I have taken delivery of, which I tended to baby, this car was thrown in the deep end from the beginning, and I'm all the better for it.

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
I'm hoping the magneride helps out. I ordered a Mach 1 handling package to autocross and track as well as enjoy weekends and road trips with the handling package, but I stuck with 700A and the standard leather heated and cooled seats for road trips with the wife.
Sponsored