Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
'And', not 'at least', just 'and' one other thread where clearly the virtue signaling and acceptance of posing is now an accepted thing when only years ago people who put GT500/Shelby/or any other performance badging on cars that they did not belong on were laughed away. I'm now even seeing GT350s with 500 snakes plastered on them locally. To each his own, sure...

On topic,
Are you guys recieving new crate motors, remanufactured, or what?

I picked up the car today and they told me verbally it received a new crate motor by both the tech and SA. UnlessI am misunderstanding Ford codes/language the documentation clearly states remanufactured and only a "new" long block. Didn't get to stick around long today to investigate due to work. Same lying ass dealer, so needless to say I'm heading back up there tomorrow.
IMG_20191206_155932.jpg
IMG_20191206_155949__01.jpg
Which dealer are you dealing with? I just checked the ID tag on the motor and they put a 19R motor in built 9/23/19. Long block should be a whole new motor while maybe using some of the accessory parts from the older motor. You scared me so I had to go check my ID tag half naked in the dark.

imbadatthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Which dealer are you dealing with? I just checked the ID tag on the motor and they put a 19R motor in built 9/23/19. Long block should be a whole new motor while maybe using some of the accessory parts from the older motor. You scared me so I had to go check my ID tag half naked in the dark.
Ha! One here local to me in Dallas/Ft Worth. I will wait to post up their name until this is said and done. Glad you got the correct goods though.

imbadatthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Did you check your engine tag?
Just checked and it shows 19 year REP GT350R.
At this point I'm just concerned about the dealer's documentation based upon my most recent experiences with them. Information may/may not flow over to other dealers (I've had some tell me the past work done on the car, and others, including Ford CS, tell me they can't see anything -someone is full of it).

I will probably drive the f out of the car until I close on my house and then cut my losses.

I will say, it drives great. 'Clean' low end power, sound, etc.
IMG_20191207_065709.jpg

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
At this point I'm just concerned about the dealer's documentation based upon my most recent experiences with them. Information may/may not flow over to other dealers (I've had some tell me the past work done on the car, and others, including Ford CS, tell me they can't see anything -someone is full of it).

I will probably drive the f out of the car until I close on my house and then cut my losses.

IMG_20191207_065709.jpg
the motor build date is 3 days after mine. Looks new to me.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

IMG_20191207_065709.jpg
The paperwork did NOT say you got a re-manufactured motor. It said they billed Ford for work required to install a motor whether re-manufactured or OEM. If the work involved for that portion of the job was different depending on the engine being new or re-manufactured, there would be a unique code for each and nobody would panic.

imbadatthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The paperwork did NOT say you got a re-manufactured motor. It said they billed Ford for work required to install a motor whether re-manufactured or OEM. If the work involved for that portion of the job was different depending on the engine being new or re-manufactured, there would be a unique code for each and nobody would panic.
Thanks!

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
We all got new 2019 long blocks but they switch over the original intake manifold along with other bits. It would be interesting to see and find out what happens the the first long block that gets sent back to Ford. I assume they take them apart to find out why they went bad and that’s how they came up with the 2019 updates. I don’t think we have any 2019 failures based on oil consumption. Mine was put in in late January 2019 so it’s possible I’ve got one of the earliest ones. They told me my engine was taken from a 2019 build assignment.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
We all got new 2019 long blocks but they switch over the original intake manifold along with other bits. It would be interesting to see and find out what happens the the first long block that gets sent back to Ford. I assume they take them apart to find out why they went bad and that’s how they came up with the 2019 updates. I don’t think we have any 2019 failures based on oil consumption. Mine was put in in late January 2019 so it’s possible I’ve got one of the earliest ones. They told me my engine was taken from a 2019 build assignment.
tech took mine apart and found main bearing and ring was bad cylinder 4

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
what was it doing- consuming oil?
At 1500 miles it was a quart per 800-1000. At 20k it was down to 325 per quart. Right before they changed the motor it was a quart every fill up. I was expecting it to expire at any moment.

Ron Swanson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW & Lexus
They have extended some warranties for those that have had issues. But I can’t imagine any manufacturer extending a warranty to the 100% when maybe only 1% have experienced a major issue. Perhaps if more failures keep happening and Ford loses a class action lawsuit.

You can shop around for extended warranties online (Ford warranties) but I’ve seen low mileage premium care ones for $1200-2000 depending on how many years.

The standard powertrain is 5yrs 60K though and that covers most buyers.
. I don't get this logic. Porsche did it, as I pointed out... And this wasn't because people were blowing engines.

I haven’t heard of more than a couple of complaints about the gen 2 voodoo. It’s probably going to have a long life, relatively speaking. Early M156 motors actually had a ton of problems, probably more than gen 1 voodoo. Many new performance motors do and the issues are fixed with small updates, just like the voodoo.
The gen2 is way too young for us to know, and yeah man I totally agree I hope it fixes the issues so I can buy a 2019 in a couple years. I love these cars.

Regarding the rest... Yeah that's exactly what I said. I expect these types of engines to have issues. You're missing my point. I want to know what they are.

M156s didn't and don't have worse issues than the voodoo by any means. You aren't spinning bearings or blowing holes in blocks. They had weak headbolts in the original design and blew some HGs (which MB addressed in a technical bulletin and didn't hide, I might add). All of them beat up intake cams because of the flat tappet design and the materials used, but that's prevalent in many flat tappet engines. This happens with miles and tons of wear, it's not necessarily an inherent issue like we are seeing with these Voodoos. Regardless, this won't result in a blown engine... Just new cams. Still a PITA. But not nearly what we are seeing with voodoos.

Again... I'm not hating on these cars or this engine, I love it. I just don't understand how neither Ford nor the aftermarket has shed any light on what's going on.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Ha! One here local to me in Dallas/Ft Worth. I will wait to post up their name until this is said and done. Glad you got the correct goods though.
Was it Grapevine Ford. That is where I bought mine. Mine was burning a qt per 500 miles

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
. I don't get this logic. Porsche did it, as I pointed out... And this wasn't because people were blowing engines.

The gen2 is way too young for us to know, and yeah man I totally agree I hope it fixes the issues so I can buy a 2019 in a couple years. I love these cars.

Regarding the rest... Yeah that's exactly what I said. I expect these types of engines to have issues. You're missing my point. I want to know what they are.

M156s didn't and don't have worse issues than the voodoo by any means. You aren't spinning bearings or blowing holes in blocks. They had weak headbolts in the original design and blew some HGs (which MB addressed in a technical bulletin and didn't hide, I might add). All of them beat up intake cams because of the flat tappet design and the materials used, but that's prevalent in many flat tappet engines. This happens with miles and tons of wear, it's not necessarily an inherent issue like we are seeing with these Voodoos. Regardless, this won't result in a blown engine... Just new cams. Still a PITA. But not nearly what we are seeing with voodoos.

Again... I'm not hating on these cars or this engine, I love it. I just don't understand how neither Ford nor the aftermarket has shed any light on what's going on.
To get the level of performance and enjoyment from a Porsche you will spend a ton more money and still never be able to replicate the sound of the Voodoo. With brand new 18-19 GT350’s selling for $5-10K off MSRP just invest $2K or so in an extended 100k mike warranty if the reliability concerns you. Your still likely under $60K. What better options are there out there for under $60K??

Wooly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Tech, Porsche 991GT3
Need some input from the group. I Have a 2017 GT350R. Was at the track and the engine made a terrible wacking sound, low oil pressure warning came on and the engine just died. Towed it to the dealer and will have them look at it after the weekend.
I haven’t read this entire thread but was wondering if this is consistent with other failures and what the culprit is? Engine is stock and never been tuned.