Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Mine has been sitting in the garage. Driving my AMG so no complaints. Thinking I'll probably trade it in on something in 2020 as the engine seems like Ford is treating it like a one and done. Not really building on the concept, this thread is apparent as to why that may be.
Dude, don't let this stupid thread and a fear of nothing run you off from thoroughly enjoying a great machine!

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
OMG!!! ALmost 50% of the poll is for oil consumption LOL

88 pages, 1742 posts of absolute overstated and exaggerated madness. 14.5K miles on my R half track half street. don't get me wrong, I understand disappointment when an engine fails. It happened to me with my first GT350. And then I got my R. This thread is the perfect example of the grapevine effect.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
This should have been an informative thread. Now so many useless comments the good information gets lost. The vast majority will enjoy their GT350s anyway.
The main impact this kind of information will have is putting extra money in Ford's account through more extended warranties.

Kado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H4866
Also, it would have been good info to know the model year and maybe even the block year for the failed and replacement engines. I believe that when my 17 engine failed, I got a '19 block that has different characteristics. The oil pressure has a different profile on idle and on highway driving. Knowing the year of block might give us a better indication on where the majority of the problems lie and if Ford has implemented a fix that has effectively solved the problem.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Mine has been sitting in the garage. Driving my AMG so no complaints. Thinking I'll probably trade it in on something in 2020 as the engine seems like Ford is treating it like a one and done. Not really building on the concept, this thread is apparent as to why that may be.
What you mean by the "one and done" comment? We're heading into year 5 production of the Voodoo engine. In comparison, the Trinity was a 2 year run, the Road Runner was a 2 year run and the Terminator was a 2 year run.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
What you mean by the "one and done" comment? We're heading into year 5 production of the Voodoo engine. In comparison, the Trinity was a 2 year run, the Road Runner was a 2 year run and the Terminator was a 2 year run.
Yes and still selling as many as they build. Laughable fake owner trolls notwithstanding...

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
From what I understand, this flat plane concept was a bit of a risk for Ford. Ferrari has done it well but for an American manufacturer to try and do what Ferrari has been doing for years, well I suppose the outcome of multiple engine replacements in these cars was a forgone conclusion. Given the circumstance, from a business perspective Ford will never make an engine of this type again.
I wonder how many engine Ferrari replaces on their cars? Oh!!! and then there's the ruthless maintenance intervals LOL. The Voodoo has no more in depth maintenance interval than a Fiesta. Albeit you are right. Ford will never make an engine like this again but not for the reason you suggest. This was no risk at all.Ford has no problem selling these cars and no problem replacing engines (stock). All this is hilarious.
Almost 300 registered owners on this forum and of that 35 have had engine issues, mainly oil consumption, of which most where bought back rather than replaced.
Whats' my point? simple. More than 20,000 GT350's sold thus far, how many engines replaced for actual mechanical failures like my first GT350???? No one knows, right? But lets say you use a failure rate of 1%. That's 200 cars or so. Honda sold 300K+ cars in 2012 U.S. and had an engine failure rate of 1%, approximately 3000 engines replaced on one of the most reliable platforms in the world.
Using a forum of 200+ or so owners as an example of failure rate is preposterous.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
From what I understand, this flat plane concept was a bit of a risk for Ford. Ferrari has done it well but for an American manufacturer to try and do what Ferrari has been doing for years, well I suppose the outcome of multiple engine replacements in these cars was a forgone conclusion. Given the circumstance, from a business perspective Ford will never make an engine of this type again.
Ford took the "risk" of 5 years Voodoo production...and didn't stick with a lot of other engine options that were considered bulletproof for more than 2 production years. Ok.

Last edited:

Kado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H4866
Ford will never admit to jack. They do know however. They're just giving all you GT350 guys the finger. Anyone owning one of these off warranty is focked...
I didn't mean to insinuate Ford would own up to it. I meant that is we all listed the years of the cars that had failures, and the engine block years, we might be able to figure out if there was a point where the problem was fixed. In that case, a buyer could look for a specific model year, or block year in case of a replacement, and buy with some confidence that the early issues were mitigated. For instance, if the 19MY vehicles don't have the oiling or bearing issues like the 17MY cars did, the community as a whole could purchase with the knowledge that their fear of engine failure was reduced.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
OMG! Ferrari had crank shaft failures in an N/A flat plane crankshaft engine? Say it isn't so? UNACCEPTABLE! of all cars the HALLOWED last of its kind 458 Italia.
How could they! Ferrari sucks! more than 200+ cars required a new crankshaft or a new engine. how many California's and 458's where produced? imagine the failure rate for that?
BAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a21834/ferrari-crankshaft-recall-35174/

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
This thread has not surprisingly gotten fucking ridiculous.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I'd use the adjective.. outrageous. You have former owners having sold their GT350's because of the crap reliability, had their engines replaced etc. You have the current owner deniers and Ford homers/Ford Perf fan boys, currently deciding which Team Shelby jacket and matching cap they should wear to the next C&C; other current owners say 'who gives a shit I have a warranty' ...until it happens to them', other's who are afraid to drive their GT350's for fear of it blowing up, track guys swingin' their dicks in perceived superiority... who gives a shit I'll open it up and burn more of my money in it. Then, you have others who tossed in the towel, cut their losses and moved on from this shitshow. That is GT350 ownership in all of its forms ............:crackup::

maxresdefault.jpg
You are one of the reasons why I made the above comment. I waited too long and now decided you’re not worth reading because of your constant negativity. Blocked.