Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I haven't heard of one either. I mean I'll still do it if I rebuild my top end but more because it will be convenient and might as well put that peace of mind to bed if it's just right there.
HoneyBadger did have a fair sized chunk missing out of his OPG inner gear (I think) and a broken piece of valve spring after 15-20k of track miles. I wonder how long these things will last driven hard.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I don't know. Others on here may know better. Try corp HQ at Ford. I always like to start at the top!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
HoneyBadger did have a fair sized chunk missing out of his OPG inner gear (I think) and a broken piece of valve spring after 15-20k of track miles. I wonder how long these things will last driven hard.
I do remember his photo, it wasn't too significant but definitely raises an eyebrow. However I'd be better with what he had than an actual crack forming.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I thought so too but they told me this over and over even after making sort of a scene and talking to everyone I could. I have a busy life, work six days a week with long days and going to another dealer on the other side of town is a real pain. As many times as I had to come back to the dealer... this is becoming a real pain. I figured I would put some miles on it and maybe get it down to 400 per quart and they may finally replace it.
Have heard of a few using oil then self correcting but not when using that much. Something clearly wrong so dumping on someone else with trade in won't help the next owner. Ethical question of the day--If no response from Ford indicating they are not living up to their contractual obligation and lawyering up is a prolonged process and can't get to another dealer, anyone have a problem with letting level go lower purposefully as you need a new engine either way?

GT350-H6088

Mustang with a Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 (H6088) RR Black stripes/white p
Well I got the Blackstone Oil report back on the New Motor, So far So good after first oil change

MNwdsaf.jpg

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Have heard of a few using oil then self correcting but not when using that much. Something clearly wrong so dumping on someone else with trade in won't help the next owner. Ethical question of the day--If no response from Ford indicating they are not living up to their contractual obligation and lawyering up is a prolonged process and can't get to another dealer, anyone have a problem with letting level go lower purposefully as you need a new engine either way?
I’m scared of them denying coverage for letting the level go too low if the engine goes at that point.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Well I got the Blackstone Oil report back on the New Motor, So far So good after first oil change

MNwdsaf.jpg
What was their commentary on this analysis with respect to the few slightly elevated readings?

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Just did my first oil change on number 2 engine yesterday. I had it changed at 2300 miles. So far no oil use at all and I’ve flogged it pretty good on long drives on Wv backroads and in and around the packed roads in the DC area.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Just did my first oil change on number 2 engine yesterday. I had it changed at 2300 miles. So far no oil use at all and I’ve flogged it pretty good on long drives on Wv backroads and in and around the packed roads in the DC area.
Hopefully, all's well that ends well!

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Haven't been on this thread in a while. What I find interesting is way back in the day the big deal was the OPG. Oddly enough there is still no confirmed OPG failure in a Voodoo.
My second observation is how many have had engines replaced for oil consumption. I wish there was an easy fix for those that are not happy with the oil thirst of the Voodoo. But I think it is very clear that these engines do not do well driven at low and sustained RPM's. Both my GT350's consumed oil within Ford's criteria but I also shifted at 4.5k rpm while street driving and on the highway never used 6 and always downshifted to be in powerband. Maybe those still having oil issues should try this. It might help. it might not. worth a try.
Do we have any 100% confirmed results though? I was told wrist pin but was that the true cause or was that simply an identified failed part to trigger the replacement? Without motors being torn apart we really dont know. I believe the valve spring failure on HoneyBadgers might be the only evidence of the actual (would be) failure point on a single engine. All others are just speculation imo.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
There is a guy who tore down his own engine after warranty denial. He found that the oil pump pickup gasket dislodged and caused oil starvation.

THE MAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Jeez man I've been lurking for a while. Don't visit much but I had no idea just how big of a problem this is. What has Ford identified as the problem?

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Not big problem (unless it's your car of course, and even then, warranty replaces it). Maybe 1% or less have failures. It's just that every single owner is an "enthusiast," and most are on some sort of forum. So we hear about it. I know a guy with a brand new Jag SUV. 3 months into owning it and he needed a new engine, which was of course done under warranty. It's done and forgotten at this point. "fixed" as far as he's concerned. Just as if he had a flat tire and they gave him a brand new one.