Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Carsnkicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The long block is about 16k US dollars and the install adds on another 3 or 4 k. They take the intake off and other pieces from the bad motor and install it on the new motor and out the engine back in. Mines be great so far, at 1300 miles and no oil at all used. I’m checking it each time I gas up.
Yep keep checking. Mine was still normal after break in and break in change, at 2k was still using <1qt 500 miles but blew anyway ‍♂

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 BOSS302, 29 Model A Roadster
Curious. What does ford consider when excessive oil consumption.

The history on my car is about 1 quart / 1000 miles

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Driving home on Monday, rod knock as I pulled into the garage. Getting it towed to the dealership tomorrow morning. 2017 cartridge filter style roughly 7500 miles. All stock. Motor isn't leaking anything, and oil level is between the dots. I'll follow up once I know more.

Narwaniec594

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
17 Gt350
Driving home on Monday, rod knock as I pulled into the garage. Getting it towed to the dealership tomorrow morning. 2017 cartridge filter style roughly 7500 miles. All stock. Motor isn't leaking anything, and oil level is between the dots. I'll follow up once I know more.
Thats scary, thinking out loud, whats with all those owners that drive very little, 1k -5 k miles a year and have no problems, they dont track it or get hard on it. Now if all of those been used like they meant to be used, they would be like what 80% engine blown?

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Bought a 17 last summer with 1500 miles on it. Wasn’t using as much oil at first look but at 3700 miles it was down 2.5 or so quarts. It’s been getting worse, with the oil change between 3700 and 10.5k needing 15-16 quarts. When the local dealer did a leak/dye test they found nothing out of the ordinary... however they found it was burning a quart every 440 miles, but they claimed it was normal even after telling me burning more than a quart every 500 was out of spec. I’m now at 17.8k and with increased piston rattle (esp cold mornings) and by my calculations it’s burning a quart every 425 miles. If Ford continues to do nothing, I’ll probably trade my first American car in for an M2C. I love this car, but this is unacceptable. I do a lot of runs to Raleigh from Atlanta and shouldn’t have to put a quart in before I leave each way or keep a 12 pk of oil in my trunk.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Cyl 2 wrist pin failure. Cyl wall wrecked. New motor ordered.
Glad motor is ordered. Sucks first one failed. If you haven't already please cast your vote. At the top of the page is a poll

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Bought a 17 last summer with 1500 miles on it. Wasn’t using as much oil at first look but at 3700 miles it was down 2.5 or so quarts. It’s been getting worse, with the oil change between 3700 and 10.5k needing 15-16 quarts. When the local dealer did a leak/dye test they found nothing out of the ordinary... however they found it was burning a quart every 440 miles, but they claimed it was normal even after telling me burning more than a quart every 500 was out of spec. I’m now at 17.8k and with increased piston rattle (esp cold mornings) and by my calculations it’s burning a quart every 425 miles. If Ford continues to do nothing, I’ll probably trade my first American car in for an M2C. I love this car, but this is unacceptable. I do a lot of runs to Raleigh from Atlanta and shouldn’t have to put a quart in before I leave each way or keep a 12 pk of oil in my trunk.
I've read over and over again that below 500 miles and you get a new engine. Try a different deal or calling Ford.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Haven't been on this thread in a while. What I find interesting is way back in the day the big deal was the OPG. Oddly enough there is still no confirmed OPG failure in a Voodoo.
My second observation is how many have had engines replaced for oil consumption. I wish there was an easy fix for those that are not happy with the oil thirst of the Voodoo. But I think it is very clear that these engines do not do well driven at low and sustained RPM's. Both my GT350's consumed oil within Ford's criteria but I also shifted at 4.5k rpm while street driving and on the highway never used 6 and always downshifted to be in powerband. Maybe those still having oil issues should try this. It might help. it might not. worth a try.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've read over and over again that below 500 miles and you get a new engine. Try a different deal or calling Ford.
I thought so too but they told me this over and over even after making sort of a scene and talking to everyone I could. I have a busy life, work six days a week with long days and going to another dealer on the other side of town is a real pain. As many times as I had to come back to the dealer... this is becoming a real pain. I figured I would put some miles on it and maybe get it down to 400 per quart and they may finally replace it.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Haven't been on this thread in a while. What I find interesting is way back in the day the big deal was the OPG. Oddly enough there is still no confirmed OPG failure in a Voodoo.
My second observation is how many have had engines replaced for oil consumption. I wish there was an easy fix for those that are not happy with the oil thirst of the Voodoo. But I think it is very clear that these engines do not do well driven at low and sustained RPM's. Both my GT350's consumed oil within Ford's criteria but I also shifted at 4.5k rpm while street driving and on the highway never used 6 and always downshifted to be in powerband. Maybe those still having oil issues should try this. It might help. it might not. worth a try.
I do put a lot of highway miles on it around 80mph, also do a lot of passing and down shifting to fourth and making my way up, but in the city and suburbs I drive like you.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Call Ford directly. Get an area rep involved. They'll replace it. And you can call from work if you have to ;-)

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I haven't heard of one either. I mean I'll still do it if I rebuild my top end but more because it will be convenient and might as well put that peace of mind to bed if it's just right there.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Call Ford directly. Get an area rep involved. They'll replace it. And you can call from work if you have to ;-)
Just the regular CS number? The one time I called the rep had no clue what I was talking about and was on hold for 45 mins.