Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
sadly I agree with you. I mean replacing a coyote is a joke compared to the voodoo.

Also if you want to know a OEM clutch replacement at the Ford dealership in this car costs $3,000
I take it you opted to replace your clutch?

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I take it you opted to replace your clutch?

you know I haven't decided. My replacement cost would be around $1,100 because I don't have to buy the flywheel since it has come on the replacement long block. Also, they're not going to charge labor. I guess I was going to see what the stock clutch look like when they separated the engine and transmission. Looking at the long block I highly doubt the flywheel can be resurfaced. I think you're going to have to buy a new one each time. The flywheel alone is $800.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
There is a another car at the same dealership an Avalanche gray that is getting a new clutch. Apparently the owner bought a McLeod clutch and the dealership is installing it. Originally I was like why are they installing a McLeod clutch that's going to be so much more expensive until I learned the cost of the OEM clutch. Then McLeod is actually comprable to less expensive depending on what version you buy.

If you happen to be the owner of that car at Bartow Ford hit me up. Would be nice to meet. Haven't seen any other GT350's around here

Carsnkicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Update on mine: been working long hours and missed a call that the engine was overnighted and has been being installed. Should have it back tomorrow. Will mention concern with the cats. Happy to have it back, been driving the wifes QX and I hate driving that thing. Funny thing was the Q, her GS, and my shelby all ended up in the shop. Her truck was rear ended, the gs was hit by a school bus, and the motor issue. Bad things come in threes right?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
This kind of story scares me more than the ones that happen in the sub-5000 mile range. You would hope at some point you would be able to go, as you thought, "well I must be in the clear" but eventually, some owners are going to have this happen outside of the drivetrain warranty and it is going to be super fucked.
If there's something that happens with the PTWA bores or the rings on those bores - then you and your Voodoo are in deep doodoo. But if it's a valve seal, maybe not as big of a deal.

To be precise. You'll be fuked to the tune of approximately $25,000 out of pocket. If that happens just fill it up with oil and take her to CarMax
Not really a funny joke.

I assume Ford will sell service parts for the engine so that an entire replacement engine assembly doesn't have to be purchased. Anyone know if that's true? I'm really glad that Ford is continuing to build more Voodoos so there are more likely to be spares available in the future.

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
I assume Ford will sell service parts for the engine so that an entire replacement engine assembly doesn't have to be purchased. Anyone know if that's true? I'm really glad that Ford is continuing to build more Voodoos so there are more likely to be spares available in the future.
Yes. Every. Single. Part. Although 10 years from now, who knows. Some parts are common to the Coyote.

Sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '68 Firebird, '17 Raptor, '18 Macan GTS
Update on my GT350. One month later. Mechanic was told by Ford to tear down the motor. They found the culprit was a cam cap. Mechanic waiting for Ford to agree to send a new long block. Oy .... I'm a Ford man but ... the Camaro ZL1 is looking better every day. Paying for a car I am not driving is pretty irritating.

Sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Cam Cap? What are we talking about here? Cam bearing cap? camshaft end cap? What were the symptoms of your issue?
Yeah...that is what the mechanic told me, I am not a mechanic so I just was like, oh of course ... a cam cap ... They symptoms were my motor hesitating once or twice on start up but seeming to run great until I went to start it and it shuddered for 4 seconds like it had frozen up then started and ran fine. I got it home shut it off and started it and it had a slight metal on metal squealing sound on turn over. I just shut it down and had it towed to the dealer. No warning lights no fault coded. It must have started to burn oil sometime in the last 3k miles because it was so low I put in 2 quarts and it didn't even register. It did not burn oil before my first oil change at 4k. Only 7k miles on this car.

kommons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Thanks, it seems many of them are giving up the ghost at similar mileage (4-7k). This also sounds as oil starvation problem (speculation). I'm still suspect of that oil pickup, hopefully as other failures come up, we will learn more.

kommons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I looked at the car yesterday and was already dissapointed in the work. Connectors had oil and grease, clips were missing. Locations were the harness plastic anchors go into painted parts were scratched during removal. There was slight pooling of fluids all over. They had to order another radiator because it seems they accidentally broke the one on the car during the process. I would not want to keep this thing as is, but I don't have a choice here. When I pick it up, I will try to detail and clean the engine bay with DI water to see if I can at least make an improvement.

Last edited:

Sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm still surprised that Ford even let them dismantle that engine. First I've heard of that.
Yeah, I was surprised too. Even though my dealer has a Master Tech they still didn't want to tear the engine down because and I quote "we are mechanics not engine builders" which didn't give me any warm fuzzy feelings. Ford made them tear it down though. It's still not set in stone that they will even send a new motor.