Sponsored

Removing tape residue?

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
I took my Mustang for inspection in December, and while it was parked overnight someone broke my rear quarter window.
I went around with plastic taped over my window for a while, and now I have residue from plain beige masking tape. It finally occured to me... I'm on a Mustang forum; Maybe I should ask them. šŸ˜…

How do I get rid of the residue without damaging my clearcoat?

The SafeLite technician suggested Goo Gone. Can you really use that on clearcoat?
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I would (without hesitation) use Goo Gone and even white spirit (mineral spirits over your side of the pond ?).

Start with a clean / freshly washed area, use sparingly, rub gently with a soft MF, rinse well, and then re protect :like:

WD :like:

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
You can try Griots Track Spray too. It's for removing rubber streaks from tracking, bugs dried on, etc. Goo Gone is a citrus product, most citrus based products loosen dried adhesive residues without damaging finishes, cars, cabinets, etc. But I've had good results with the Track Spray too.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Goo gone is great, let is sit for about 5 min should come right off. I have used it to remove double sided spoiler tape.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Believe it or not, WD40 will also remove tape/other sticky residue. Just spray it onto the residue, use a microfiber cloth to remove. Then just wash/polish after. The WD40 will NOT damage the clear coat, nor will it cause any issues using it in that manner..

Sponsored

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
Could just use rubbing alcohol you have lying around. 70% should be more than enough

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Goo Gone or any adhesive remover that is safe for car paint will work. Just donā€™t let it dry on any of the painted surfaces (or rubber surfaces). I usually spray some on a microfiber, rub it into the glue areas and let it sit a few minutes. Then I get some clean, soapy water (warm water is extra helpful) and wipe all the remover off. Dawn dish soap will actually cut into it as well since itā€™s a degreaser. Just be careful if you have regular wax or a sealant on your paint, the Dawn will eat into it. If youā€™re ceramic coated you should be ok there.

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soak it in Goo Gone or an equivalent "citrus" remover.

They make an adhesive remover, which you might want to try.

Plastic scrapers should be paint-safe . As a fallback I usually use a microfiber towel to remove the adhesive.

There are also decal eraser wheels, but I've never been brave enough to use one.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Soak it in Goo Gone or an equivalent "citrus" remover.

They make an adhesive remover, which you might want to try.

Plastic scrapers should be paint-safe . As a fallback I usually use a microfiber towel to remove the adhesive.

There are also decal eraser wheels, but I've never been brave enough to use one.
I used an eraser wheel on my 2016 when I was removing old vinyl stripes. I didnā€™t like it and it was making me nervous that I was heating up the clear coat too much so I stopped. Plastic razor blades work pretty good, even those you have to be careful to not be at too sharp of an angle or they will scratch the clear coat (ask me how I know šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø)

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used an eraser wheel on my 2016 when I was removing old vinyl stripes. I didnā€™t like it and it was making me nervous that I was heating up the clear coat too much so I stopped. Plastic razor blades work pretty good, even those you have to be careful to not be at too sharp of an angle or they will scratch the clear coat (ask me how I know šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø)
Ahh good point!!!... I usually dull off the corner of the blade with a file. (Ask me how I know)

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Ahh good point!!!... I usually dull off the corner of the blade with a file. (Ask me how I know)
Yeah I didnā€™t do that and put a nice little scratch in my hood. Luckily it wasnā€™t deep and polished out just fine but was definitely an Oh Shit moment šŸ¤£. The new stripe ended up covering the spot as well but I didnā€™t want to leave a scratch for the next owner.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Plastic razor blades work pretty good, even those you have to be careful to not be at too sharp of an angle or they will scratch the clear coat (ask me how I know šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø)
I use them all the time, Mark, and find them very handy for all sorts of "scraping" jobs but, thanks to Miami's post, I know what to do in the future.

I usually dull off the corner of the blade with a file.
EXCELLENT tip and while I've never damaged paint with one, I will definitely round the corners next time, many thanks, Miami.

OP
OP
ShadesOfBloo

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
I'm looking at the Home Depot web site and it turns out there are, like, 6 or 7 kinds of Goo Gone. šŸ˜…
I assume I don't want the graffiti remover or caulk remover.

I want the regular "goo and adhesive remover" right?
I don't need the "Pro-Power" stuff on my paint?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
ā€˜Goo & Adhesiveā€™ :like:

WD :like:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Iso propyl alchohol is my choice for this type of issue. I've never had a problem using IPA for adhesive removal on paint or glass. I have used wax and grease remover in the past as well. Generic wax and grease remover is what painters use to clean and prep for painting. It's pretty similar to IPA in how it works.
Sponsored