Sponsored

Ceramic + PPF tape line

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Hi, everyone. I just completed the application of a 3-coat Gtechniq ceramic coating system I've not used before. As I've done in the past, I taped off the line where my PPF stops to prevent any buildup. When I pulled the tape, I was shocked to find that I got a new tape line of coating, which can, of course, only be removed by polishing. In the attached pic, the PPF is to the left and the coating line is on the right (and on the paint). So the question is what to do about it? Gtechniq suggests polishing the line away and recoating, including the PPF, but Suntek does not recommend ceramic over the PPF because they say it will interfere with its self-healing properties. Thoughts?
92843871_233859877971897_3153558790532497408_o.jpg
Sponsored

BlackBoostedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT WhippleCharged
Hi, everyone. I just completed the application of a 3-coat Gtechniq ceramic coating system I've not used before. As I've done in the past, I taped off the line where my PPF stops to prevent any buildup. When I pulled the tape, I was shocked to find that I got a new tape line of coating, which can, of course, only be removed by polishing. In the attached pic, the PPF is to the left and the coating line is on the right (and on the paint). So the question is what to do about it? Gtechniq suggests polishing the line away and recoating, including the PPF, but Suntek does not recommend ceramic over the PPF because they say it will interfere with its self-healing properties. Thoughts?
92843871_233859877971897_3153558790532497408_o.jpg
Id listen to the product manufacturer on what their application instructions are. That being said its probably far easier to buy soap designed for stripping waxes and sealant then trying to buff it off. If your not doing the PPF yourself might be better to just live with it or strip it using chemical means and not mechanical means then just reapply the ceramic coat again shouldnt have to remove the PPF. Honestly if I had to choose between removing and installing PPF again id just coat the remainder of the ppf see if that gets rid of the tape line then go from there. Better to remove the PPF if the coating hinders self healing after its chewed up then when its fine... If I was a betting man Id say the PPF is probably fine. Anything it couldnt self heal with the coating on it would probably be deep enough were it wouldnt come out but thats just my two cents seeing as its already on it and the PPF still looks fine from your pics. Sorry if my post seams more like a ramble I tend to just string my thoughts together when posting about detailing.

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Id listen to the product manufacturer on what their application instructions are. That being said its probably far easier to buy soap designed for stripping waxes and sealant then trying to buff it off. If your not doing the PPF yourself might be better to just live with it or strip it using chemical means and not mechanical means then just reapply the ceramic coat again shouldnt have to remove the PPF. Honestly if I had to choose between removing and installing PPF again id just coat the remainder of the ppf see if that gets rid of the tape line then go from there. Better to remove the PPF if the coating hinders self healing after its chewed up then when its fine... If I was a betting man Id say the PPF is probably fine. Anything it couldnt self heal with the coating on it would probably be deep enough were it wouldnt come out but thats just my two cents seeing as its already on it and the PPF still looks fine from your pics. Sorry if my post seams more like a ramble I tend to just string my thoughts together when posting about detailing.
To clarify: the coating was not applied to the PPF, which is why there's a double line now (PPF is left, coating is right). I am definitely not redoing the PPF yet - it was expensive - and it's far from perfect, too, so maybe losing the self-healing is not really a big deal. Frankly, I am underwhelmed by the PPF's durability - it's covered with stone "chips" and it stains pretty badly from road salt. So I'm asking myself if it matters if it can't self heal from whatever it actually self-heals (scratches?) because it doesn't self-heal from the things I actually see.

BlackBoostedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT WhippleCharged
To clarify: the coating was not applied to the PPF, which is why there's a double line now (PPF is left, coating is right). I am definitely not redoing the PPF yet - it was expensive - and it's far from perfect, too, so maybe losing the self-healing is not really a big deal. Frankly, I am underwhelmed by the PPF's durability - it's covered with stone "chips" and it stains pretty badly from road salt. So I'm asking myself if it matters if it can't self heal from whatever it actually self-heals (scratches?) because it doesn't self-heal from the things I actually see.
Oh sorry couldn't tell that well from the pictures. Welp the function of PPF is that it gets chewed up and not your paint. If it's the front end of your car with PPF be lucky it's in the PPF and not your paint. If it's a little chewed up anyway nothing really to lose by just coating it too and see how it goes. Hopefully it'll get rid of the tape line.
Sponsored