Sponsored

Removing hood liner?

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Yep, that's why I mentioned my last batch of research seemed to confirm it was kind of an "urban legend", aka bunk.

I've read several posts that there are a number of cars without any kind of liner, so if this was something that was really an effective safety mechanism, I can't image it not being on all vehicles[?]

The bold sounds like pretty solid confirmation about the design intent of the liner. :thumbsup:
Except there is no such thing as a NVH Engineer, at least I’m unaware of any school that gives a degree with that title, lol. Now Mechanical engineers are the ones who design and try to eliminate NVH, so maybe that’s what they were.
Sponsored

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Page 25..

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/266865885_Vehicle_Fire_Suppression_Research_Needs

Another option that has been proposed is a non-flammable hood insulation that would detach under heat and subsequently fall, blanketing the engine compartment and smothering a fire. There has been no documented independent testing to demonstrate the effectiveness of this technology. Fournier and Bayne report on the flammability of some 20 underhood insulation blankets using the cone calorimeter [2006].

Does it work for fire suppression? Maybe kinda? Is that the function of the insulation (or part of the function)? Yes.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The bigger question, I don't think anyone has pose yet, why remove it?
One member did it to extend the over the top stripes onto the bottom side of the hood.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
No it is sound insulation only. We had some NVH engineers at a club meeting and they confirmed it - even said that blanket itself is flammable.

And think about -- no one who makes this claim can find even ONE example of a car that was saved by the blanket smothering the fire out of all the engine fires.

Ok so who is lighting one on fire to test this? :cheers:

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I took mine off in March 2015 when the car was new. No issues to date at all. Two reasons - 1) yes, I wanted to hear more of the glorious sounds from the engine bay and 2) the section around the hood air scoops was getting wet when it rained and I thought it could have led to mold/mildew/odor issues, whether that would have been accurate or not. It's sitting in my closet. lol

Sponsored

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
They don't have those listed on the website, give them a call or send Jennifer an email and they will hook you up.
[MENTION=27640]bjstang[/MENTION] can you pm me her address? I don't know Jennifer :thumbsup:

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I took mine off in March 2015 when the car was new. No issues to date at all. Two reasons - 1) yes, I wanted to hear more of the glorious sounds from the engine bay and 2) the section around the hood air scoops was getting wet when it rained and I thought it could have led to mold/mildew/odor issues, whether that would have been accurate or not. It's sitting in my closet. lol
I was wondering that as well. But I think the car would have to sit for a very long time given as hot as it gets in there.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
I will burn one when I get home and film it.

While you do that, test the plastic pins. The heat and flame it will take to melt just one will likely lead to the conclusion that the car would be fully engulfed by the time the pin melted enough to release the sound insulation

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Too bad the hood has all of those holes in it. That pony would look so much better if the hood was smooth.

Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
If it is composed of material similar to what GM has used in years past it should not take flame.. ..glass fiber maybe?

STEVO 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
How noticeable was the sound difference? I was considering removing mine for the same reason, but if there isn't much of a difference I'll leave it alone instead of taking the chance of breaking or loosening things up.

SVT Wylde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I removed mine today. I noticed a little difference in sound but my IAT’s seem to drop faster now when pulling away from a red light or after leaving a drive thru. The only downside is the mile of ugly wires that are visible under the hood. (I have a 16 with the turn signals in the vents).
Sponsored