Sponsored

How much does the hood liner weigh?

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I'm trying to get as much weightoff the nose. Sound tube, air box, engine cover are gone. This seems like the next easy thing and is mounted high up so even better. Lightweight battery is also big savings but seems like there are tradeoffs with the lighter stuff and no mounts for the Mustang.

I did lightweight wheels and rotors are planned next.
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Hoodliner is about 5 pounds.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
You’ve got to be dedicated if you want to save weight! I’d get rid of the TB and IM, too. Those suckers are heavy!
LOL. Also the block.. Aluminum or not.

I meant the closed air intake, lol. Assuming the closed system weighs more than the open because of the plastic shroud.

Last edited:

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Not worth it. It Deflects the heat and prevents paint damage to the hood. You could take a solid dump and be in equal position without risking finish damage

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
You could save the same amount of weight by never filling up your windshield reservoir more than half way, without the potential negative effects of additional vibration and lack of heat insulation to the hood.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Not worth it. It Deflects the heat and prevents paint damage to the hood. You could take a solid dump and be in equal position without risking finish damage
LOL!!!!!!! :cwl:
A 5 pound dump is quite something.

I was reading through comments in other posts and no one mentions paint damage or clear bra damage.
The weight cuts add up tho..and I'm only interested in weight in the front. The dump would loose weight rear of the front axle :cwl:

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
You could save the same amount of weight by never filling up your windshield reservoir more than half way, without the potential negative effects of additional vibration and lack of heat insulation to the hood.
Interesting idea..I almost never use that. Any idea what the capacity is? Want to see what savings will equate to.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Interesting idea..I almost never use that. Any idea what the capacity is? Want to see what savings will equate to.
The "what things weigh" thread says the reservoir is 9 lbs full. So, assuming the container weighs about 1-2 lbs, I'd say there's just under a gallon (one gallon of water weighs 8.3 lbs) of fluid. Windshield washer fluid is probably similar to water in weight terms. If you emptied that out it would probably save about 7 lbs of fluid.

Also, I realize this is rear weight, but if you don't fill your car up past 1/2 tank, it saves about 50 lbs (1 gallon of gasoline is about 6.3 lbs).

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Also - what's your bodyfat %? 35-40% +/- of your body weight goes to the front wheels!

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Also - what's your bodyfat %? 35-40% +/- of your body weight goes to the front wheels!
LOL. I'm 145 lbs, low body fat so not much in the way of savings there. Haha! I'm less worried about absolute weight of the car, much more about balance. A driver contributes more rear than the front in our cars.

Seriously though, changing those front wheels made a massive difference. I think lighter rotors will also be a nice (But smaller) improvement. Driveshaft has lots of compromises and makes the balance worse.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I meant the closed air intake, lol. Assuming the closed system weighs more than the open because of the plastic shroud.
Dude.....

I still don't understand what you're talking about. You installed some after-market CAI?

I can tell you, I just ditched my after-market (open top) CAI and went back to the stock CAI. My car drives much better now.

I think you're being a bit silly about removing weight from the front end.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
While I agree with the dump proposition, I have to point out I've had my liner out since the car was new, the car is only used for road course track days and there is zero paint damage from heat. This thing gets driven hard, like I am very familiar with the axle overheat warning on the dash. I would think if it was going to happen it would have by now, I think the liner is there more for sound damping than anything else.
Sponsored