Any difference in sound with it off?
Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Any difference in sound with it off?
I haven't done it myself, but I hear it amplifies the DI noises in the Ecoboost...as does removing the plastic top engine cover.

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
Is there still the Mustang logo under the headliner ?
No pony logo under hood liner on 2018 (at least mine doesn't have one when I took it off).

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I'm afraid the running hosre doesn't look as good on the 18 as it did on the 15- 17
35380311650_153f4cf446_c.jpg

Sponsored

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
Is it painted under there?
Also wonder how this effects open cai like Steeda or jlt seal to keep hot air out?
Removed it from my 15 and I was running a steeds intake, zero difference in hood temp or intake temps.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
Is there still talk that's it's some kind of fire retardant material? Supposed to reduce the spread of flames/heat somehow?

I recall reading that, seeing a lot of people say that's bunk, the noise suppression angle makes a ton of more sense.

Love the logo, I've seen a vinyl kit that highlights it.
That is my understanding of what they are. As they heat up it will shrink and fall off, smothering the fire.

That is why older cars tend to have them hanging off - the heat cycles start to get to the pins holding it in place.

Im am sure it doubles as a sound suppressant.
There's no doubt that that's the main purpose. That's why it's held by plastic push pins. If there is a fire, the pins melt, the liner falls on top of the engine to try and help smother/isolate the fire. In terms of it being there to deflect heat, I ran my last one without it and never had an issue, nor have other people.

Now say you had an engine fire, i'm not sure if insurance could try to screw with you if they found out that you had removed it.

No it is sound insulation only. We had some NVH engineers at a club meeting and they confirmed it - even said that blanket itself is flammable.

And think about -- no one who makes this claim can find even ONE example of a car that was saved by the blanket smothering the fire out of all the engine fires.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
No it is sound insulation only. We had some NVH engineers at a club meeting and they confirmed it - even said that blanket itself is flammable.

And think about -- no one who makes this claim can find even ONE example of a car that was saved by the blanket smothering the fire out of all the engine fires.

Yep, that's why I mentioned my last batch of research seemed to confirm it was kind of an "urban legend", aka bunk.

I've read several posts that there are a number of cars without any kind of liner, so if this was something that was really an effective safety mechanism, I can't image it not being on all vehicles[?]

The bold sounds like pretty solid confirmation about the design intent of the liner. :thumbsup:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My only concern is the direct heat from the engine affecting the washer fluid lines but if others have no issues then it's nothing to worry about.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Now say you had an engine fire, i'm not sure if insurance could try to screw with you if they found out that you had removed it.
If anything it would give you an extra 5-10 seconds to get out of the car. With it in or out it will be a total write off in a fire . Insurance isn't going to care.

Sponsored

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado

In the audi realm it serves as a fire blanket, and has been documented to 1) increase turbo noise and 2) work as a fire blanket during an engine fire. :shrug:

https://www.audizine.com/forum/show...it-necessary?p=8837255&viewfull=1#post8837255

Last edited:

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
The bigger question, I don't think anyone has pose yet, why remove it?

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Has anybody noticed any more noise with it removed?
Sponsored