Sponsored

Recommendations for replacement lug nuts.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I've got a 30 year old MAC that ranges from 50 to 250 and that is what I use.
Sponsored

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
Are you trying to compare an air compressor's PSI rating to the settings on a torque wrench? Doesn't work that way.
No, only the impact wrench used at some of the tire dealers. If they set it at 120 wouldnā€™t that be putting 120 lbs of force on the nut?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
So an air compressor with 150 lbs max could actually torque much higher just by changing the colored extension stick?
Torque does not come out of a compressor, pressure does.

Check pressure compared to torque :

1716591946853-2y.png

WD :like:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Mine is a Craftsman with a max of 180 I believe. I would only trust its accuracy to around 120 or so. I used it to torque my BMR frame cross brace to 100 fp and was about to eat some spinach at that point. šŸ˜‚
My 1/2ā€ drive is also a Craftsman and goes to 250 ft-lbs. My 3/8ā€ drive is 180 ft-lbs I believe. Torquing things under the car laying on your back is definitely harder cuz you lose all your leverage. Iā€™ve struggled with a few things that require higher torque values under the car but I usually get there. With some huffing and puffing LOL

RAVAGE88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium
So an air compressor with 150 lbs max could actually torque much higher just by changing the colored extension stick?
The amount of pressure running the tool could easily enable to the tool to over torque or under torque the lugs. The torque limiter (colored extension stick-imma-hickey) is what stops this from happening (provided the pressure driving the tool is per the requirements of the tool) while re-installing the lugs.

MB

Sponsored

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT

Torque does not come out of a compressor, pressure does.

Check pressure compared to torque :

1716591946853-2y.png

WD :like:
I learn something every day
My 1/2ā€ drive is also a Craftsman and goes to 250 ft-lbs. My 3/8ā€ drive is 180 ft-lbs I believe. Torquing things under the car laying on your back is definitely harder cuz you lose all your leverage. Iā€™ve struggled with a few things that require higher torque values under the car but I usually get there. With some huffing and puffing LOL
Exactly!

RAVAGE88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium

I learn something every day

Exactly!
Just make sure that regardless of what the specs say on any air powered wrench, you're not using that wrench to torque to specific values. There are A LOT of variations that will determine what the tool is truly doing.

In fact, I don't trust the colored extension stickamahicky's beyond a certain service period and shops don't replace them often enough based on their time in service. Their values decline with use to the point that they shatter into shrapnel when they're ready to give it up. Too many times I've gone behind guys in tire shops and re-torqued under-torqued lugs on my Wife's car.

MB

OP
OP
Crew4991

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper

3pdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 mustang gt pp1, '82 f150
these are great lug nuts for street and track. they are strong and no nonsense.
a must for extended studs to accommodate wheel spacers.
  • Kit contains 5 Lug Nuts
  • Fits new M14 x 1.5 wheel stud
  • Included with Ford Performance Parts Front Wheel Hub Kit with Extended ARP Studs M-1104-AB
  • Included with Ford Performance Parts Rear Wheel Hub Kit with Extended ARP Studs M-1104-B
  • Can be used with Ford Performance Parts ARP wheel stud kit M-1012-N

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
What's the metric equivalent to the 10-2?

You always count from vertical (12) in a clock-wise manner. :)

Also it's not '2 dot 10' because unlike the "wtf is WRONG with you, Frenchies" the dot/period has been used as the separator since the 15th friggin' century.

The earliest known record of using the decimal point is in the astronomical tables compiled by the Italian merchant and mathematician Giovanni Bianchini in the 1440s.[13]

Tables of logarithms prepared by John Napier in 1614 and 1619 used the period (full stop) as the decimal separator, which was then adopted by Henry Briggs in his influential 17th century work.

In France, the full stop was already in use in printing to make Roman numerals more readable, so the comma was chosen.[14]

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Is your torque wrench calibrated?
The newest ones I have not checked. The older ones I've checked and are within tolerances listed in their literature.
But, no, I have not sent them to be calibrated.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
The amount of pressure running the tool could easily enable to the tool to over torque or under torque the lugs. The torque limiter (colored extension stick-imma-hickey) is what stops this from happening (provided the pressure driving the tool is per the requirements of the tool) while re-installing the lugs.

MB
Another thing to consider is the torque sticks are only accurate ish when used with air guns. Battery powered impacts hit twice as many times as air impacts and don't allow the sticks to recover thus exceeding their limiting capabilities.

RAVAGE88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium
Another thing to consider is the torque sticks are only accurate ish when used with air guns. Battery powered impacts hit twice as many times as air impacts and don't allow the sticks to recover thus exceeding their limiting capabilities.
Highly valid point.

MB

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
The newest ones I have not checked. The older ones I've checked and are within tolerances listed in their literature.
But, no, I have not sent them to be calibrated.
Got a couple more questions:
- How do you know that the newest ones are torquing the lugs to the setting on the wrench?
- What certification standard did you use to calibrate your older ones?
- Is the calibration still valid?
- What is the tolerance you checked them to?
- Have you/are you going to perform a gage R&R on them?
- How often (time/miles) do you check the lug nuts on your vehicles?
Sponsored