Sponsored

Recommendations for replacement lug nuts.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Site your source...
Here you go. Note that wheel studs are zinc coated, which does effect the correct torque value. Obviously, no one lubricates wheel studs/nuts.

I'll wait here while you find any substantive data that shows that the material of the wheel has anything to do with torque values...... but Im sure you're right, and the engineers at Ford have no idea what they are doing

1716417130622-tl.png

1716417279534-fu.png

1716417324802-rv.png

https://www.fastenermart.com/files/metric_tighten_torques.pdf
https://www.imperialsupplies.com/pdf/A_FastenerTorqueCharts.pdf
Sponsored

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
Here you go. Note that wheel studs are zinc coated, which does effect the correct torque value. Obviously, no one lubricates wheel studs/nuts.

I'll wait here while you find any substantive data that shows that the material of the wheel has anything to do with torque values...... but Im sure you're right, and the engineers at Ford have no idea what they are doing

1716417130622-tl.png

1716417279534-fu.png

1716417324802-rv.png

No need to be a dickhead. I've heard from several people about wheels. Even the factories don't torque aluminum wheels as tight as steel ones.

1716417130622-tl.png

1716417279534-fu.png

1716417324802-rv.png

No need to be a dickhead. And many people don't torque aluminum wheels as high as steel wheels. Aluminum is softer. Do you know anything about metals?

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
What S550s come with steel wheels? You've tried to argue this before, and are unable to come to grips with being incorrect. Read the owner's manual.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Gorilla is the way, Crew. My SVE wheels came with black ones and I bought the chrome for my OEM wheels that are my winter set. Both are holding up well, I don’t loosen or tighten with an impact. All by hand and torque to 150

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
No need to be a dickhead. I've heard from several people about wheels. Even the factories don't torque aluminum wheels as tight as steel ones.

No need to be a dickhead. And many people don't torque aluminum wheels as high as steel wheels. Aluminum is softer. Do you know anything about metals?
Every car I've ever had has had a torque spec listed for the lugs. Not all are the same but it's specified for the car. I've never bought an aftermarket wheel that came with torque specs.
Maybe I've not bought enough aftermarket wheels but until I do find one that specs a specific torque I'll continue to follow what they car manufacturer says. For the S550 Mustang, that's 150 ft lbs.

OP
OP
Crew4991

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
So do lug nuts really make that much of a difference whether they are on stock wheels or aftermarket wheels?
I guess all I am really after is replacing the stock 2 piece lugs with a 1 piece steel set for stock rims. 🤔

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Ford stock lug nuts are just fine until they start to swell or the shell becomes deformed.
I've got 3 Ford vehicles and every one of them has had messed up lug nuts at some point. The Mustang I changed because I wanted black lugs and I liked the idea of the splined ones. My Edge I changed to an inexpensive set of solid, chromed lugs years ago and the Fusion still has stock lugs and will stay that way until my supply of spares runs out.
Whenever I've changed to aftermarket wheels I have changed the lug nuts out. Once because the new wheels had a different seat, the others for cosmetic reasons.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ford stock lug nuts are just fine until they start to swell or the shell becomes deformed.
I've got 3 Ford vehicles and every one of them has had messed up lug nuts at some point. The Mustang I changed because I wanted black lugs and I liked the idea of the splined ones. My Edge I changed to an inexpensive set of solid, chromed lugs years ago and the Fusion still has stock lugs and will stay that way until my supply of spares runs out.
Whenever I've changed to aftermarket wheels I have changed the lug nuts out. Once because the new wheels had a different seat, the others for cosmetic reasons.
I bought the McGard solid lugs for all 3 vehicles. I bought a complete kit with locks in black for the explorer ST to match the wheels, and just 16 chrome nuts for the Mach 1 as it came with locks. I also bought another 16 chrome nuts and a set of locks for the wife's edge ST because it was cheaper to buy them separately than as a kit. I could have saved money if the wife would have let me put black nuts on her edge but she wanted chrome.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
So do lug nuts really make that much of a difference whether they are on stock wheels or aftermarket wheels?
I guess all I am really after is replacing the stock 2 piece lugs with a 1 piece steel set for stock rims. 🤔
Once the chrome shell on the stock lugs starts to swell, they either get caught in your socket or they’re darn near impossible to get on/off because you can’t even get a socket on them. My 2016 had the stock lugs and they were swollen (unknown to me until I went to take them off) and I got 4 of them stock in sockets, one of which I couldn’t get out so I ended up tossing the socket in the garbage out of frustration

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP

If I didn't know anything about metals, why would I be arguing the (correct) point about the metallurgy of the stud being one of the determining factors of a torque value?

You asked me to site my source, and I did. There are hundreds of other articles that you can google yourself to confirm this. Now, where is your proof? Provide your documentation stating that the composition of a wheel, has anything to do with the torque value set for the fastener.

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If I didn't know anything about metals, why would I be arguing the (correct) point about the metallurgy of the stud being one of the determining factors of a torque value?

You asked me to site my source, and I did. There are hundreds of other articles that you can google yourself to confirm this. Now, where is your proof? Provide your documentation stating that the composition of a wheel, has anythign to do with the torque value set for the fastener.
This has been argued in many threads. You’re wasting your time, some people just don’t want to believe even credible sources because “they’ve never seen a torque spec that high on a Mustang before”. Stock studs are 150 torque spec. Ford engineers may be a lot of things but they’re not stupid. Aftermarket such as ARP might be different, but they typically provide the spec their studs require. If a wheel manufacturer (and especially one that manufacturers to Mustang specific fitment) states a wheel can’t handle a 150 torque spec, I don’t want that wheel.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I had a couple of stock ones start to swell, just, and could’ve used the brand new spares I had (swapped out for factory locks) but I figured I would have to replace them eventually anyway, so I bought the Gorilla set in black from CJ Pony Parts. Sixteen regulars and four locks. Happy with them, and stock 21mm sze.
IMG_1117.jpeg

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Precisely, every modern ford/lincoln that uses the 14 mm studs are specced at 150 ft lbs. That includes the edge/nautilus, f150, mustang, explorer/aviator, ranger, bronco, and so on. What's so hard to understand about that?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

You asked me to site my source, and I did. There are hundreds of other articles that you can google yourself to confirm this. Now, where is your proof? Provide your documentation stating that the composition of a wheel, has anything to do with the torque value set for the fastener.
Carbon fibre wheels with aluminium nut collars ? Yes, they are also 150 ... :

1716477029529-57.png

WD :like:
Sponsored