Recaros vs cooled seats

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I'm surprised by all the positive comments on the seat cooling here. If the outside temp is above 80 deg, I can hardly tell they are on even at the max setting. I had the dealer check them out, and he reported that they are performing to spec.

I know the CA Specials with the fake seat suede inserts does compromise the seat cooling some, but like I said, they are totally underwhelming to me.
that could be the issue, in the Mach I the cooler blows so much air through the seat I can hear it.
Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
they are totally underwhelming to me.
I agree with the "your balls are freezing within 5 minutes". I can live without it, wouldn't need that or heating either, but seats are comfy and great for my needs so no need to think twice about Recaros that wouldn't suit me. This is best judged by your butt-o-meter šŸ˜

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'm surprised by all the positive comments on the seat cooling here. If the outside temp is above 80 deg, I can hardly tell they are on even at the max setting. I had the dealer check them out, and he reported that they are performing to spec.

I know the CA Specials with the fake seat suede inserts does compromise the seat cooling some, but like I said, they are totally underwhelming to me.
My 2019 CS is just fine here in hot steamy South Carolina. :like:

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
I am glad they are working in your northern climate. Try taking it 2000 miles south and see how well it works for you.

In Texas heat they are barely adequate for me. I drove a new Raptor and those seats have 5 times more airflow.

A/C in the seats is nice to have but I would not trade recaros for it. If they fit me.

My GT500 had Recaros, that's one of the reasons I sold it.
To clarify the S550 Recaros of the 350/500 are the same style Recaro seat BUT the Recaro in the Mach are the same as the base GT and S197 Boss/500.
The Mach Recaro is much more comfortable than the 350/500 seat.
I ordered a Mach 1 for a daily but went with the leather Recaro option as I love them in my ā€˜14 GT500.
I would NOT daily the Recaros in my ā€˜22 GT500.
All that said the Recaros are insanely expensive to add later so as this is a daily, I will try everything to add heat/cooling to my Mach Recaros or worst case swap in base seats.
For a car like the Mach you REALLY want the Recaros to fully enjoy the car.
Again, the ā€˜sportā€™ Recaro in the Mach is a comfortable seat that will allow you to enjoy the performance the car offers vs sliding around in the base seats.
-J

Sponsored

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
Yeah this will not be my daily. It's a fun car. I daily a TRX and it has all the goodies and its cooled suede seats are amazing. I am just looking if anyone has the recaro seats if they regret it? I realize it is personal preferenceā€¦on principle i dont like to pay for a feature im not gettingā€¦dealer isnt budging on price and this M1 is built exactly as I ordered my GT PP except for the recaro seats. trying to decide if I buy now or put the order in today (last day to order an M1) and wait 16++ weeks for the cooled ones.

EDIT: I'm very indecisive. I change my mind daily on what I want. I like Grabber Blue but I think my top choice would be FJG + handling pack and stock leather seats.
For a non daily the Recaro no questions asked as long as theyā€™re leather. I canā€™t stand the cloth Recaro we had in the Boss 302 LS
-J

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
Iā€™m 6ā€™3ā€ at 200 lbs and the premium seats have been comfortable for meā€¦love the adjustable seat cooling with leather. Never thought it was something I needed until actually using it on the hot day.

I havenā€™t had any issues with sliding around in the seat in spiritEd driving.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
My 2019 CS is just fine here in hot steamy South Carolina. :like:
I need to find someone in my area with CS seats to compare to. Like I said, I can't even tell that mine are on. I can hear the fan blowing (when the top is up) and every now and then, I can feel a little something, but my boys get nowhere near frozen šŸ¤£

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you can, try to sit in them first.

i swapped to recaros from the premium seats and they fit me great. Comfortable enough for an 800 mile trip in a day.

the recaros are not power, but they look great and hold you pretty well but dont fit all humans, esp if youā€™re big.

they are firmer but IMHO comfortable. The driver seat also can go lower in the seat than the stock seats can go, giving a bit more headroom.

the cooling on the early S550 seats was notorious for barely working. Heat works fine, but here in TX its not needed much of the year. I never used those features much anyway.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I find the premium stock seats to be well bolstered (haven't tracked it though). I do believe that if you went the premium cooled/heated seat routes, that you can retrofit either standard recaros or aftermarket heated/cooled recaros down the road. But you cannot go as easily from recaros to heated/cooled seats.

I plan on eventually getting a spare set of seats to swap out for track days, street premium seats, track recaros.
Donā€™t waste your money to get Recaro for the track
Recaro are not track/racing seats but rather seats designed to make the uninformed crowd believe that youā€™re a racer
Lack of provision ( crotch slot) for a 5-6 pts harness make them unsuitable for track duty
But they do look nice
And leather is the last thing you want for a track seat, too slippery

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I don't know your answer but this is my first car with ass coolers and I tell you its really nice in the summer.
I'll agree with that!
I took my car out very briefly on Sunday as it was very warm with high humidity and the cooled seats worked and felt pretty awesome. The first time I had used them. They automatically came on because I used the remote start to fire her up in the garage.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
To clarify the S550 Recaros of the 350/500 are the same style Recaro seat BUT the Recaro in the Mach are the same as the base GT and S197 Boss/500.
The Mach Recaro is much more comfortable than the 350/500 seat.
I ordered a Mach 1 for a daily but went with the leather Recaro option as I love them in my ā€˜14 GT500.
I would NOT daily the Recaros in my ā€˜22 GT500.
All that said the Recaros are insanely expensive to add later so as this is a daily, I will try everything to add heat/cooling to my Mach Recaros or worst case swap in base seats.
For a car like the Mach you REALLY want the Recaros to fully enjoy the car.
Again, the ā€˜sportā€™ Recaro in the Mach is a comfortable seat that will allow you to enjoy the performance the car offers vs sliding around in the base seats.
-J
Let's be clear. Not everyone fits in recaro seats. If you aren't comfortable. The seat is moot.

Mine were 2013 GT500s. NO recaro I have seen fits a 250lb man

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
From my experience with a black car, living in coastal NC. The cooling function works great, being hot natured I drive comfortable with the ā€œball blower 5000ā€.
So far, the700a seats keep me in place while driving spirited, on some of my favorite local curves.
Iā€™m also a bigger guy, and really did not like the way the Mustang Recaros felt. The ones in the Camaro were more comfortable, like the gt350 seats, with the addition of heat and cooling.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
If i could make the heat work on the recaros it would be hard for me not to do it lol
Easy task for any upholstery shop.
There are professional retrofit kits with carbon heating mats.
The main difference to the stock equipment is that the switch for the heater will in most cases be located on the seat console.

Due to the leather quality, I would prefer the fabric cover on the Recaros.
Unfortunately the Bullitt did not have this option.
So now the rather poor stock leather is worn out and then there will be a new skin with nap(p)a leather.

PS: I am 6' & 1.3'' tall and wiegh 216 lbs, the Recaros fit me like a glove.
On bad seats I get back problems, is not the case on the Recaros.

Last edited:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think everyone is missing the point, three pages and no one has mentioned the most important issue - aesthetics ... :giggle:

Not everything in life needs to be practical or comfortable, just ask the ladies ...

1660224968101.png

:giggle:

Joking aside I've always liked Recaro's, they've been synonymous with fast fords going back to my early car years (had them in my 92 Cosworth) making them a must have option for the Stang :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored