Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
OP, did you have any luck?

I am having this issue too...I noticed the window channels last fall - at that point it was only flaking off of the rubber sealant - figured I would deal with the issue in the spring, then Covid hit and threw that all for a loop. Fast forward to today - washing the car at the local self-serve and a large chunk of paint flakes off above the window channel. I'm furious... I'm past the 3 year B2B warranty period, but if Ford thinks I'm going to pay to fix their complete shit workmanship, they are gonna be sorry..... Just look at this! :explode::explode::explode:
IMG_5566.JPG
IMG_5559.JPG
IMG_5555.JPG
IMG_5554.JPG
Sponsored

QBailey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Quinton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
OP, did you have any luck?

I am having this issue too...I noticed the window channels last fall - at that point it was only flaking off of the rubber sealant - figured I would deal with the issue in the spring, then Covid hit and threw that all for a loop. Fast forward to today - washing the car at the local self-serve and a large chunk of paint flakes off above the window channel. I'm furious... I'm past the 3 year B2B warranty period, but if Ford thinks I'm going to pay to fix their complete shit workmanship, they are gonna be sorry..... Just look at this! :explode::explode::explode:
IMG_5566.JPG
IMG_5559.JPG
IMG_5555.JPG
IMG_5554.JPG
This is identical to what I expierenced and they turned me away and basically told me to take a hike. It isnt covered in the 6yr corrosion because this area of the car is steal and must be perforated. I would check your hood because while i was in a bad mood over the flaking paint I decided to give the car a good once over and found a spot of bubbling paint on the hood. Best of luck to you.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That's shitty--the S550s should be far too young to be having that kind of paint failure. Those channels around the front and rear windshields seem to be a problem area for paint, rust, leaks, etc.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Had the same issue on the same color while it was still under warranty and the only reason they fixed mine was because there was also rust in the rain channel above the doors and around the front windshield. They said if it was just the flaking paint around the back window it would not have been fixed.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Absurd that they wouldn't fix that. If you bought a new house and the siding was falling off would that be acceptable? Only if it was built by Ford.

Sponsored

QBailey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Quinton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Guys check Cobra Jet's post # 81 on this thread. There may be something useful in there for you to go back to ford with. Good luck!

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ear-quarter-panels.143545/page-6#post-2946849
Not for the rear window channel. Like I mentioned earlier, that area is sheet metal and not aluminum, therefore it would need to be rusted through for them to cover it. I tried it all, BBB, hell I even played the "this is my first brand new vehicle" card.

Last edited:

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not for the rear window channel. Like I mentioned earlier, that area is sheet metal and not aluminum, therefore it would need to be rusted through for them to cover it. I tried it all, BBB, hell I even played the "this is my first brand new vehicle" card.
Yup, same shit I just dealt with yesterday. They want it to be corroded. Bunch of bullshit if you ask me... left a sour enough taste in my mouth that I won't buy another Ford product again even though I love this Mustang. I was thinking of looking at the facelift s550 once they come out, but nope... not now. I'll buy a GM or a Dodge next time. Between the engine tick/rattle being declared "normal" and this paint bullshit... I'm done with Ford. Now I'm left asking myself the question "Where else on the car is going to peel just like this?"...

$1500 to repair out of pocket, and that was getting a deal through a friends shop...

Last edited:

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Yup, same shit I just dealt with yesterday. They want it to be corroded. Bunch of bullshit if you ask me... left a sour enough taste in my mouth that I won't buy another Ford product again even though I love this Mustang. I was thinking of looking at the facelift s550 once they come out, but nope... not now. I'll buy a GM or a Dodge next time. Between the engine tick/rattle being declared "normal" and this paint bullshit... I'm done with Ford. Now I'm left asking myself the question "Where else on the car is going to peel just like this?"...

$1500 to repair out of pocket, and that was getting a deal through a friends shop...
If its like mine, the clear coat on your front bumper cover should start flaking off soon. They didn't cover that either. I'm out 700 bucks for it.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
If its like mine, the clear coat on your front bumper cover should start flaking off soon. They didn't cover that either. I'm out 700 bucks for it.
That happened the first two years I owned the car, had to get it fixed twice. At least they covered that.
Every single year I have owned this car there has been a paint issue. There is no excuse for this bullshit.

Sponsored

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yeah ford is junk, not sure I want another dodge. Don’t want a Camaro... may have to look at a Luxury brand.

TIMS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TIM
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
2016 rear window channel peeling, cracked and spot or 2 of rust, out of warranty. Ford won't help at dealer. Repair estimate $1000 to $2500 made me a little sick... called ford customer service # no help... wanted to share my pain...🤣

20220912_173404.jpg

20220912_173329.jpg

20220912_173342.jpg

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
2016 rear window channel peeling, cracked and spot or 2 of rust, out of warranty. Ford won't help at dealer. Repair estimate $1000 to $2500 made me a little sick... called ford customer service # no help... wanted to share my pain...🤣

20220912_173404.jpg

20220912_173329.jpg

20220912_173342.jpg
Brutal, there's that Ford quality. My roof seams have started peeling since I last posted here, complete with a bit of rust. I can see the start of that in your pictures... especially the third one.

I don't know about you, but I'm about ready to unload this car... nothing but paint issues since I bought it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I wonder if this is from chassis flex? Does the glass edge show any paint transfer or anything? Or is this just a paint prep issue (i.e, poor quality adhesion).

TIMS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TIM
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Nothing on glass I can see. Appears to be prep issue. Dealer said the paint robots focus on outer panels but they are skimpy on the channel areas with prep material. Forgot the name of the undercoat prep material he mentioned.
Sponsored