Sponsored

Splitting roof seams near back window, water leaking into rear quarter panels

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I’m going to try another dealer. Given the Ford corrosion warranty language I pulled off Fords website a body panel was perforated during normal use due to manufacturing defect in factory supplied materials.

I think that language speaks numbers to this issue and if they’re not willing to budge I’d have to try and escalate things (helps when you’re good bud you grew up with becomes a lawyer lol).
I don't think that language applies to sealant. It applies to corrosion of the body panel from the inside out.
Sponsored

SoFla2016PP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6
I don't think that language applies to sealant. It applies to corrosion of the body panel from the inside out.
It can be ambiguous. Factory supplied materials could mean a lot. I see what you’re saying though, I made an appointment at a different local dealership so we’ll see what happens.

5.2 L V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray Shelby GT350
You guys got me curious so I went out to the garage to check the late build 2017 350. Things look really good, no cracks or anything actually. However, it should be noted, the car resides in dry mild San Diego, no track duty, is garage kept, weekend driven, and only has 7K miles. Would love to hear the final outcome from Ford. Thanks for the initial post.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I’m going to try another dealer. Given the Ford corrosion warranty language I pulled off Fords website a body panel was perforated during normal use due to manufacturing defect in factory supplied materials.

I think that language speaks numbers to this issue and if they’re not willing to budge I’d have to try and escalate things (helps when you’re good bud you grew up with becomes a lawyer lol).
Do not want to be Mr. Negative, but there have been a number of threads regarding Ford's definition of perforated. I assure you that the cracks you and others are seeing are neither perforations or corrosion. Just know that going in when talking to the new dealer. Good luck?

SoFla2016PP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6
Do not want to be Mr. Negative, but there have been a number of threads regarding Ford's definition of perforated. I assure you that the cracks you and others are seeing are neither perforations or corrosion. Just know that going in when talking to the new dealer. Good luck?
no worries. It’s worth a shot so why not take it. Appreciate the insight and feedback.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here is from the Ford Website:

Corrosion Warranty
5 years (regardless of mileage)
Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels or aluminum body panels are covered for an extended Corrosion Coverage Period. Coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory workmanship. If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage is covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.

For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty – our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
Please be aware that the above ONLY applies to 2015; after 2015 the 2016 Paint Warranty was revised where perforation is NOT a prerequisite, as described at length in this thread with the attached TSB:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tsb-19-2026-aluminum-panel-corrosion.117031/

What is and is not warrantable by Ford as far as paint defects:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...table-vs-non-warrantable.121829/#post-2830627

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Water intrusion is a manufacturing defect, period. Those cracks are not a paint defect either. The murkier issue is if the cracks don't lead to water intrusion. There still should be a treated as a manufacturing defect IMO, but knowing how Ford deals with engine noises, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they deem it 'normal'. Curious what happens with those cases, so will be following this thread :).

OP
OP

JasonGiudici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Us So
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp
Ford agreed to pay for most of the repair to my car. Out of pocket will be around $250.

I'm not sure if they will do anything to prevent it from recurring though....whether they will be using a better seam sealer, placing tack welds or injecting panel adhesive between the moving seams. I plan to ask for details of what will actually be done when I drop it off next week.

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
Ford agreed to pay for most of the repair to my car. Out of pocket will be around $250.

I'm not sure if they will do anything to prevent it from recurring though....whether they will be using a better seam sealer, placing tack welds or injecting panel adhesive between the moving seams. I plan to ask for details of what will actually be done when I drop it off next week.
Hope everything works out for you!.. Definitely keep us posted!

SoFla2016PP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6

Nice man glad to hear! Which dealer?

Sponsored

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
I don't know how common this issue is. I do have some cracks but it seems fine and I've used a power washer. I will keep an eye on it from now on though who knows what could happen later on.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I don't know how common this issue is. I do have some cracks but it seems fine and I've used a power washer. I will keep an eye on it from now on though who knows what could happen later on.
Up until PO's original post, this topic hasn't even come up. I'm glad he did though as now people are looking at their cars. For most it will probably be nothing but for the few (hopefully) it could mean saving a lot of time, money, and heartache.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Up until PO's original post, this topic hasn't even come up. I'm glad he did though as now people are looking at their cars. For most it will probably be nothing but for the few (hopefully) it could mean saving a lot of time, money, and heartache.
Yeah but not everyone that has a mustang post on here, and it could be more common than people think. Especially if you keep your car outside instead of a garage, sun can do a ton of damage to rubber and paint. But it is a good thing to be brought up.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

Let us know what they do to repair this please.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Keep in mind guys, OP actually has water intrusion. That's a much stronger case with the dealer than the cracked paint alone.
Sponsored